Chance of Rare

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Chibiken
Chance of Rare

Post by Chibiken » October 9th, 2012, 3:50 pm

So, I thought I'd start a thread to talk about the chances of getting a "rare" stat wild critter. I figure we just post what details we've got and compare notes, and hopefully piece together the chances of "rare" catches.

I've caught 117 wild critters. 8 of them have been rare. I've got the achievement counter going, and I've never released a rare.

That puts the applied chance of a rare at about 6.83%

Anyone else have notes?

Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us

Re: Chance of Rare

Post by Nearlysober » October 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm

You should look at your total pet battles, not just what you've captured, to determine how frequently you encounter rares.

I've won 253 pet battles. So far I've caught 20 rares.

I've accidently killed a few rares, and the # of battles doesn't reflect multi-wild-pet battles I'm pretty sure.

But roughly 8% based on my numbers.

Akez

Post by Akez » October 9th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Data point, 44 rares and I've won 593 pet battles, 7.4%

Faquue

Post by Faquue » October 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I'd say some pets have more rares than other pets,

But i don't think the rares are very rare for the most part; I've seen several in a row and only have to do about 5 battles before I see a rare. I'm over 60 rares although some are doubles. LoL I think there are only rare Black Rats I've passed on so many

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 12th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Faquue wrote:But i don't think the rares are very rare for the most part; I've seen several in a row and only have to do about 5 battles before I see a rare. I'm over 60 rares although some are doubles. LoL I think there are only rare Black Rats I've passed on so many
You're looking at the wrong definition of the term "Rare." In this game, and in the context of Pet Battles, it is not intended to reflect the uniqueness of specific companion pets. It is noting more than a term used to define item quality, in this case items that are slightly better than Uncommon (Green) items and a step below Epic (Purple) items. A Rare-quality pet serves a similar role in Pet Battles as Rare-quality equipment does in other parts of the game: It's not supposed to be difficult to obtain, being available as mission and reputation rewards, loot drops, and crafted goods. Instead it represents an attained power level needed to progress to higher forms of game play. In the case of Pet Battles, it serves to identify a companion pet suitable for training and high-end Brawling.

It means nothing more than this, and if you try applying other definitions to the term you're going to be utilizing faulty assumptions. Obtaining a Rare-quality pet should not be viewed as a achievement, but as a necessity if you wish to participate in the minigame.

Seeweda
Pet Score:3245
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Seeweda » October 16th, 2012, 9:41 am

I think trying to set a flat rare % rate will be hard as it varies from pet to pet like trying to find Fel Flame, Restless Shadling, Minfernal, etc. is going to be pretty difficult. While a pet like the Softshell Snapling I got 5 rares in 5 battles. It seems in MoP zones pet spawns in certain regions all spawn with the same configuration at times. Not to mention those battles in which 2 of the 3 pets are rare and your only able to capture one.