leveling pet strat for Celestial Tournament and Ltl Tommy

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us
leveling pet strat for Celestial Tournament and Ltl Tommy

Post by Iamwhatis » September 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm

So with all of the strats posted for beating these baddies and as long as we are going to do them all the time lets talk about also using these battles to also level pets.

So if you have a strat that allows you to 2 pet and level a pet while defeating the Celestial tamers and epic pets and Little Tommy post it here.

Post the pet you use and its breed. And post the move set turn by turn. The ability you use and the ability that the tamer uses or the epic pet uses or Lil Oondasta uses.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Re: leveling pet strat for Celestial Tournament and Ltl Tomm

Post by Gilneas » September 23rd, 2013, 6:20 pm

The Celestial tournament tamers don't have the XP multiplier so its not a terribly good way to level pets. And the Celestials themselves (and Lil' Oondasta) would give XP similar to the Beasts of Fable, so definitely not worth it.

Whiplash
Pet Score:4909
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Whiplash » September 24th, 2013, 7:57 am

I have not had much luck with leveling a pet vs. Tommy.
There are three big issues:
1) The carry pet has to actually hit Tommy's dino, which exposes the carry pet to a big hit
2) Tommy's pet hits the back line twice per fight (in my experience) with a back line attack
3) Your other two pets need to be able to *reliably* take down Tommy's dino
So far, my attempts to carry a pet have failed most of the time - either I outright lost, or the carry pet died. The only 'success' was carrying a 20+ mechanical - high enough level to survive, strong versus beast, and self rez. But some mechs don't have strong anti-beast attacks. Other than that, a magic pet (incoming damage capped) might work as the carry pet.

I carried a pet once versus Chi-Chi, but I don't remember how much XP I got.
Turn 1 - Carry pet hits vs. Tranquility
Swap in Voodoo Figurine - main thing is to how Wild Magic up, then Rot when the death passive happens
Swap in Giant Sewer Rat - Stampede

Could possibly carry a pet versus Yu'la.
Turn 1 - Carry pet versus Emerald Dream
Mr. Bigglesworth comes in and does his solo routine versus Yu'la
Strong humanoid as a backup, such as Kun-Lai Runt or Anubisath Idol

I will keep you posted...

Nirnaeth101
Pet Score:3966
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Nirnaeth101 » September 24th, 2013, 9:19 am

You'll only get ~200XP for defeating any of the "single pet" battles, (similar to the BoF battles) so it is not worth it (even though with a Greggy Grell you could have 2 carry pets vs Yu-lan, 2 x snails means a carry vs Chi-Chi, and Gnome + raptor means a carry for Xu-Fu.

Some strats have a carry pet vs Wrathion (SS Bunny + SS Flayer) but you only get around the same XP as you would the Panda Tamers.

I really can't see a reason why you'd risk a carry pet in the Tournament, a little RNG and your "perfect team" is busted and you have to start over, at least using 3 proper pets you have a chance to recover.

Using master Tamers and a hat you can get 3 pets from lvl1 to lvl25 per day, even if you could carry through the tournament you'd only get 1 pet from lvl1 to ~lvl20 at best, once per week.

Just doesn't seem worth the risk IMHO.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 24th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Nirnaeth101 wrote:you only get around the same XP as you would the Panda Tamers.
Much less than the Pandaria tamers actually. Saw someone tried it and they said the tournament tamers don't have the XP multiplier that all the Pandaria tamers have. Which makes sense, since the tournament isn't intended for leveling.

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Spary » September 25th, 2013, 12:32 am

Leveling at the Tournament teams isn't really worth it. I got around 1800 exp (with Hat but without cookie) for a lvl 20 vs Kiryn and decided to not do it again, although there are other teams you could bring a <25, maybe it is a nice chance to get all that 23's / 24's from the Tamers a little closer to 25 without overcapping them at the normal trainers and without doing too many petbattles in the wild ;)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 25th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I used my lvl 24 bonkers against yula and let me grell die so I could swap him in. He only got like 100xp so totally not worth it for the celestials.