Celestial Tourny Wild Pet Challenge

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Siegurd333
Top Rater
Pet Score:4485
Realm:Korialstrasz-us
Celestial Tourny Wild Pet Challenge

Post by Siegurd333 » September 19th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Hey everyone, I hope you're enjoying the new Celestial Tournament. While checking other player's strategies I've noticed a lot of players advocating pets that are extremely difficult to find in the wild, cost real money, or are rarely dropped. With this in mind I'd like to request people to post in here with their successes using easy to obtain pets (such as vendor sold pets or Pandaria wild pets) for the purpose of making a guide. Don't worry if someone has already posted a strategy similar to yours, just share your experience and strategy with pets that won't take new players (who may not have many 25s already) too long to obtain. Ideally pets that are found easily in the wild and already a decently high level.

Pets to avoid: raid dropped pets, zone drop pets, crafted pets, Blizz Store pets, wild pets with long respawn timers, holiday pets and TCG pets.

I'll start it off with two I've used personally

Chi-Chi:
Rapana Whelk; Ooze Touch, Acidic Goo, Dive
Silkbead Snail: Ooze Touch, Acidic Goo, Dive
Any backup with a strong or magic attack.

Any two snails will work, keep Acidic Goo applied and spam Ooze Touch. By the time both snails have been killed it should either be dead or nearly there. I didn't require my backup pet most times.

Xu-Fu:
Wild Golden Hatchling; Tail Sweep, Call Lightning, Lift-Off
2x Turkey or Chicken with Flock (ideally faster than Xu-Fu)

You want Call Lightning to benefit your flocking pets as long as possible. Chances are your golden dragon will live long enough to get off 2 moves so I would go with tail sweep then call lightning unless you find that you die consistently without getting it off. Spam flock and hope for the best. If one of your birds is not faster than Xu-Fu then bring it in first so your last pet will get a move off on turn it will die (and hopefully kill Xu-Fu before he can act)

Arwyn3
Top Rater
Pet Score:6996
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Re: Celestial Tourny Wild Pet Challenge

Post by Arwyn3 » September 19th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Nordrasil Wisp can almost solo the celestial bird. It's not the easiest to rare farm, but worth it.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » September 19th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Arwyn3 wrote:Nordrasil Wisp can almost solo the celestial bird. It's not the easiest to rare farm, but worth it.
How? Which bread of Nordrasil? Which skills should the Nordrasil bring? How does that battle go? Birds move your move birds move your move etc.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 19th, 2013, 5:53 pm

I guess it is all relative. I wouldn't consider most of the pets I use in my strats to be all that rare or hard to get but I guess nothing you already have is all that hard to get anymore. I had started to type up a long bit about why I think it's okay to include pets xyz but that doesn't really matter so I decided to skip it.

For your Xu-fu team I'd think it would work better with any mech with a good mechanical attack instead of a second turkey. The cog blade raptor is the highest level mech pet that would qualify as readily capturable and should work well. Batter would be strong against Xu-fu as a mechanical attack, will gain 25% bonus from call lighting and will proc multiple extra call lightning hits.

My Zao team is just 3 raptors but 3 assorted flies would probably work just as well. Might even be better as his attacks will be weak against them and the could cocoon to avoid the Charge. Probably want as heavy power as possible to make sure you outdo the wish. I'd also consider the raptors as they seem pretty commonly available on the AH at manageable prices.

For Yu'la there really aren't many options for high level humanoid pets. You really only have three Flayer youngling, Kun-Lai runt and Sporeling sprout. The flayer and Kun-Lai run are the better options and any combination of three of those two type of pets should be able to win. For the Runt you'll want the shock, freeze, take down combo and for the flayer you'll want Blitz Deflection and kick. The flayer will probably be more of a slow and steady fight as your blitz won't hit for a lot with the shield up but it has deflection for his big hit. Bonkers should also work well here but you would need to level him up from level 1.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 19th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Iamwhatis wrote:
Arwyn3 wrote:Nordrasil Wisp can almost solo the celestial bird. It's not the easiest to rare farm, but worth it.
How? Which bread of Nordrasil? Which skills should the Nordrasil bring? How does that battle go? Birds move your move birds move your move etc.
Your not gonna be faster so I assume the H/P breed would be ideal. The only move set that makes sense is Flash/Light and Soul Ward just rotating through those so that you ward on the birds evade turn. With the increased miss chance and the absorb you should be able to mitigate a bit of the dmg but I'd imagine there is still some random in actually managing to solo it.