Combat...?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Soopra
Combat...?

Post by Soopra » October 14th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Getting fed up now. Three times I've trapped a rare and been knocked out of the pet battle by combat.

I thought you were protected from combat when you were in a pet battle.

Please confirm before I report it as a bug

Cykotyks
Top Rater
Pet Score:2603
Realm:Nazgrel-us

Re: Combat...?

Post by Cykotyks » October 14th, 2012, 1:21 pm

You're not phased for PvP combat, so you can get knocked out by another player (this is intentional, possibly so you can't just enter a pet battle to avoid PvP battles), but if you're being attacked by mobs, I think that is a bug (though I could be wrong - I've just never been attacked by mobs while battling).

Soopra

Post by Soopra » October 14th, 2012, 1:28 pm

yes, sorry, i should have said - it is mobs i'm being attacked by

Cykotyks
Top Rater
Pet Score:2603
Realm:Nazgrel-us

Post by Cykotyks » October 14th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a bug. My partner says he's finished pet battles and immediately been attacked by mobs, which implies that they probably would've attacked him before had they been able. I'd put in a ticket about it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 14th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Cykotyks wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a bug. My partner says he's finished pet battles and immediately been attacked by mobs, which implies that they probably would've attacked him before had they been able. I'd put in a ticket about it.
What level is your friend and what level were the mobs that he was attacked by? If he was significantly higher level, their agro range would have been very small, and could possibly explain why he wasn't attack initially.

From what I understand, you can be knocked out of a battle by both players and mobs, and I haven't read anything that indicates otherwise. I would still submit a ticket and ask a GM if creatures knocking you out of battle is intended or not.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Angrypets

Post by Angrypets » October 14th, 2012, 5:08 pm

I have been attacked by other players while farming Minfel ...
I have seen mobs walk over/pass through me while in pet battles.
I have gotten into battle seconds after popping back out (in MOP level 90 areas) but never been broken out by mobs, just players

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » October 14th, 2012, 7:35 pm

I've been pulled from fights by mobs before, especially in the higher zones. You can ticket it, but I feel it's intentional. I hate it because I only have a second to turn off Cleave with my Wrathguard or he will kill the pet too.

Should probably leave that off when farming.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 15th, 2012, 9:30 am

I've never been attacked by mobs while participating in a Pet Battle. I do not believe it's supposed to happen; I, too, have been in situations where hostile mobs walk right through my Pet Battle, as well as situations where they are literally walking through me at a battle's conclusion, and begin attacking when I return to the zone.

Mobs that would normally chase me to the far end of a zone don't notice me when I'm in a Pet Battle.

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 15th, 2012, 9:32 am

Doobjanka wrote:I've been pulled from fights by mobs before, especially in the higher zones. You can ticket it, but I feel it's intentional. I hate it because I only have a second to turn off Cleave with my Wrathguard or he will kill the pet too.
Perhaps the mob is not attacking you, it's noticing your demon and that's cancelling your pet battle.

What class are you playing, Soopra?

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » October 15th, 2012, 11:55 am

Kingdms wrote: Perhaps the mob is not attacking you, it's noticing your demon and that's cancelling your pet battle.

What class are you playing, Soopra?
I think that's it exactly - I have learned to dismiss my Water Elemental because mobs aggro on it, and that pulls me out of pet combat.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 15th, 2012, 2:10 pm

This happens to me fairly often on my lvl 70 warlock who is camped at Razorthorn Ridge, and it's always the Razorthorn Flayers (lvl 71-72) that aggro me. They patrol up and down that path and very often they approach me, and their usual behavior is to disappear just as they get close, and then reappear on the other side. I assume this means there is a small radius around me that is phased out during the pet battle, allowing them to walk through me without aggroing. But every so often it seems like that phased radius is just a little bit too tight and they see me just before they phase out.

I think having a pet doesn't help, as he's centered a little bit away from me and is therefore closer to the edge of the phasing radius, making him easier to get aggro. Similarly, being lower level than the mobs around me seems to increase the chance of getting knocked out of the pet battle, because my higher lvl toons never have this issue with the Flayers.

I don't think pets are inherently vulnerable to aggro during pet battles though--my pet is definitely phased out along with my character, and never draws aggro from Flayers when it's my lvl 80 warlock, even though the Flayers walk directly over me and my pet (but phased out, ofc).

Kaelha
Pet Score:1823
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Kaelha » October 15th, 2012, 2:16 pm

For what it's worth, I had this problem a LOT (was taming with my frost mage) until I read a post that suggested it could be a problem with class pets. Since dismissing the water elemental when I'm out doing pet battles/captures, it hasn't happened once.