Share pet collecting news and advice.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
Any Scary Sprite insights?

Post by Saasan » September 17th, 2013, 11:07 am

I've never actually gotten the sprite to spawn. Argh. I usually end up with around 15 or more bodies. Anyone have experience spawning a Scary Sprite? What was your dps like? And with how many dead sprites?? I'm wondering if I should switch from blood to frost so I actually down more of them vs pulling more them for greater overall damage. Also, does anyone know if the sprite event is once per toon or once per account?

Balazaar
Pet Score:4252
BattleTag®:Balazaar#1749
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Re: Any Scary Sprite insights?

Post by Balazaar » September 17th, 2013, 11:35 am

I have not tried the event myself but what I plan to do is find several pet collectors in my guild, form a group and camp the crystal spawn. That way we'll have several DPS and a healer, hopefully, and can wipe out enough sprites to spawn the rare. If I'm not mistaken everyone in the group will be able to kill sprites. Or is this wrong? Has anyone tried grouping?

I'll let you know how it works when I can get a group to try it. Any info on how often the crystal spawns so I'll know what kind of wait we'll have?

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » September 17th, 2013, 11:36 am

As far as I know it's once a day per account.

I tried it on my under geared warlock killed 10-15 without a scary sprite, however I have seen them spawn with less kills then that, not sure what the process is but I was a bit unlucky.

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » September 17th, 2013, 11:37 am

Balazaar, Onlyt the person that clciks the crystal can dps the mobs, all in the group can however loot mobs

Yaafm
Pet Score:3669
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Yaafm » September 17th, 2013, 11:38 am

once per day and I dont know how many corpses I have had down but way over 15. When I loot them I usually get around 200 coins for some reason in 2 groups. Like a pile of 91 and a pile of 97, had the scary sprite come up twice doing it every day.

Purple crystal has a looong respawn also, not sure but at least and hour (i waited that long once) probbaly more.

Post by Guest » September 17th, 2013, 11:46 am

I tried camping the crystals once, first one random player got to it first and ran off when the sprites started attacking, second spawned 30 minutes later and the healer I was with accidentally tagged it, that didn't go so well ... 3rd time again about 30 minutes later I finally tagged it and got a couple of bigger sprites to spawn, I wasn't sure if they were the ones we needed or even one tier higher. Brought in a warrior to try #4 it spawned probably 35 minutes later but we missed it to another random player that didn't know what they were getting into and then I went to bed.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » September 17th, 2013, 11:47 am

I heard that anyone can attack the Scary Sprite (obviously the Angry Sprites are a different story). Anyone have experience with this?

Balazaar

Post by Balazaar » September 17th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Even if multiple people are grouped only the clicker can DPS? Oh well, I can still get heals so I can kill more sprites if this is true.

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » September 17th, 2013, 1:04 pm

All the sprites are friendly to everyone accept the person who clicked the crystal. Only that person can kill either type of adds that spawn. As a BM hunter with 535 ilvl I pulled 3/4 of the mobs with a few multi shots, had one scary sprite spawn, pulled a few of the remaining sprites and got no other scary sprite to spawn for me. That was my first attempt. I will try again today. This time I will play around with some traps on the ground before clicking crystal.

I have not seen any sign of this pet on the AH. This is prob going to be the harder of the new pets.

*edited to add: Btw, I did almost die. Thought maybe that fact might be an important one. :P

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » September 17th, 2013, 1:37 pm

I've managed to get the crystal twice now, it's tough to get the balance between doing enough DPS and staying alive. Will try with a pocked healer and see how I go.

Think I was squeezing about 110k DPS (not great, I know) and killed a large number of sprites, but no Angry spawned :(

On a side note: seen a number of people clicking them as they run past, obviously now aware of what they are / do and then run away. Such a waste >:(

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 17th, 2013, 1:53 pm

This is going to be the most frustrating pet to farm, I swear.

First off, I can confirm that it's definitely once per day per toon, if not once a day per account. The crystal seems to have a longer spawn time than most rares out there, probably around an hour. And the person that triggers the crystal seems to be the only one that can DPS them, though I haven't been grouped while having a group member close enough to help to test whether or not group members can participate or loot (though I'll be trying for that from now on).

The number of sprites you need to kill is random. Two days ago I got a Scary Sprite after only killing about 6 of the others, but yesterday I killed about 60% of the sprites and did NOT get a Scary Sprite at all. :evil: Talk about a waste of time and opportunity!

If I get some trinket and cloak procs I'm pulling a bit over 200k DPS, so from now on I will be aiming to kill all the sprites to make sure I get one to spawn.

If survivability is an issue I really suggest you bring a healer along. It's frustrating when someone gets to the crystal before me, touches it, and then can't even survive 3 sprites!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » September 17th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Peanutty wrote:And the person that triggers the crystal seems to be the only one that can DPS them, though I haven't been grouped while having a group member close enough to help to test whether or not group members can participate or loot (though I'll be trying for that from now on).
I can confirm that ONLY the person who clicks the crystal can dps the mobs. I was in a group with my BF (a rogue) last night and he clicked it and almost died when the waves of sprites kept coming. I was in ret but managed to heal him enough to keep him up. All the mobs stayed friendly to me. Next time we do it, I'll stay in healer spec I think, definately much safer!
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Wakka
Pet Score:4324
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Wakka » September 17th, 2013, 3:27 pm

My thought on this is that every time a sprite respawns during the event it has a small chance of being a Scary Sprite, my anecdotal guess would be 1% or less. I have done the event 7 times and had a total of 3 sprites spawn, while easily killing well over 100 sprites each attempt. It is incredibly frustrating to have an event which you have to camp for hours that gives you chance of spawning something that has a small chance of dropping something you want. I think the whole event needs a redesign to be honest. Either guarantee a Scary Sprite spawn after a certain number of kills or make it so anyone in the area can participate, but as it stands right now it is just way too many layers of RNG piled on top of each other.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » September 17th, 2013, 4:39 pm

ok, so third attempt. This time, I went prepared.

All 3 of the item buffs + shine buff for 15% more damage + pots and self buffs. Eeeked out 170k DPS, probably killed 80+ sprites and STILL got NOTHING!!!!

*sigh*

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 17th, 2013, 7:01 pm

This rare really needs a redesign. People shouldn't be clearing the whole area of sprites only to get zero chance at the pet. I thought I was crazy when it had happened to me (and then a guildmate today had the same problem, no Scary Sprite spawned) but it's obvious that the mechanics of it just aren't favorable to players at all.

IMO it should work like the ship or other summoned events on the isle, and allow everyone joining in to participate.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 17th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Peanutty wrote:This rare really needs a redesign. People shouldn't be clearing the whole area of sprites only to get zero chance at the pet. I thought I was crazy when it had happened to me (and then a guildmate today had the same problem, no Scary Sprite spawned) but it's obvious that the mechanics of it just aren't favorable to players at all.

IMO it should work like the ship or other summoned events on the isle, and allow everyone joining in to participate.
This. Or the pet should have a higher droprate. I was actually pretty surprised that for how much it takes just to spawn the NPC, that the pet wasn't a 100% drop. O_o

I've grouped with a friend who's managed to get the Scary Sprite to spawn twice in the same attempt. He DPS'ed while I just sat in the group and pumped out heals on him.

We found that he had to kill between 75-100 sprites, in rapid succession, to get the Scary one to spawn. A second one spawned just as the timer ran out; it disappeared once the minute was up. All sprites remained friendly to me, but I was still able to loot all the bodies once the one minute was up.

Sadly, no pet. :(
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 18th, 2013, 5:05 am

The pet is on Illidian for 200k right now. More than ethereal trader.

This is a hard event, because the crystal only spawns probably 20 times a day TOTAL.. and probably all of them are taken by people who don´t know what happens or what to do. Every time I have seen someone else do this event, they ran away from it.

Balazaar

Post by Balazaar » September 18th, 2013, 6:01 am

I had several ideas I posted on WoW's forum so I'll share them here.

1. Change the event so the Scary Sprite spawns at the end of the minute if the person survives no matter how many sprites are killed. Make the player phased so they cannot receive healing (it is a solo event after all). Also, make the crystal spawn more often. Thousands of players per realm and only 20 chances per day? Not ok.

2. Make the pet a 100% drop rate. Still increase spawn rate of crystal.

3. Let everyone participate and leave the event as is otherwise.

Any of these is better than what currently exists. I personally like option number 1.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 18th, 2013, 7:39 am

My friend and I managed to spawn the Scary Sprite again tonight. His average item level is 496, and he's a survival/BM hunter. The previous nights he was beast mastery, but tonight he wanted to try survival. As before, I healed him so he could concentrate purely on DPS.

Consumables used:
  • A flask
  • A Pre-pot (in his case, Virmen's Bite)
  • All of the buffs that are drops on the isle ([url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=103641]Singing Crytsal[/url], [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=103643]Dew of Eternal Morning[/url], [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=103642ad.com/item=103642]Book of the Ages[/url])
  • A shrine buff (found amongst the pillars just behind the Scary Sprite tree)
  • All of the various "[url=http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=pi%27jiu]pi'jiu brews[/url]"
The strategy was to agro as many sprites as possible initially, and the focus down a handful before pulling more.

Having NPCscan was helpful, as it allowed us to see when the Scary Sprite had popped up. Once it was out, he focused on killing it above all else. If you don't, and the Scary Sprite is still alive as your time runs out, it will despawn.

No pet, as expected. It says something when I'm just glad we managed to get the Scary Sprite to spawn though. =\
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 18th, 2013, 8:21 am

The good news is that in a few weeks, the traffic on the island will fall greatly and probably most of the people who click the crystal know what the event is about and we will be able to camp it.