Little Tommy Newcomer

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skarn
Top Rater
Pet Score:5024
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: Little Tommy Newcomer

Post by Skarn » September 13th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Mine was pretty simple.

Darkmoon Zeppelin
Darkmoon Tonk
Menagerie Custodian

I use Decoy to block the first Frill Blast since it hits for quite a bit even on a mechanical. So:

Decoy, Missle until Zepp dies, Explode after the rez.
Switch to Tonk, next ability is usually the Frill Blast so Ion Cannon.
Custodian comes out. Shock and Awe if needed, otherwise just Ion Cannon. Sometimes the Tonk needs to come back out, but not usually.

Certainly a lot of ways to do it! Mechanicals are obviously fantastic.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 13th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Tried a different setup and got it in 5 rounds. Clockwork Gnome, Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender, Cogblade Raptor.

Round 1: Build Turret - Cogblade Raptor gets swapped in
Round 2: Exposed Wounds
Round 3: Batter
Round 4: Batter - Cogblade Raptor dies, sub in Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender
Round 5: Hunting Party - Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender dies - Lil' Oondasta dies from turret.

Purpleurza
Pet Score:4237
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Purpleurza » September 14th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Just FYI it's probably not worth trying to get a low level pet in here for the exp, just got 1350 exp (unbuffed) on a level 21 so doesn't seem worth the effort.
Able to down him reasonably easily with:

Darkmoon Tonk - 1, 1, 2
Darkmoon Zeppelin - 1, 2, 2
Any Other Pet with HP sub the Zep

Lead with Ion Cannon
You'll be switched to the Zep, use Decoy (important use this first else your backline pets will die early)
Missile until the Zep resses
Explode following the Res.
Select third pet and use any damaging ability until either death or swapped to the Tonk. (to test the Exp I used a pet with Survival).
Shock and Awe
Ion Cannon
End of battle.

I'm sure there will be a cleaner (quicker) strategy utilising a 3rd specific pet but this works for me.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13317
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » September 14th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Thanks Yam! first try that strategy worked :)

Somalaris
Pet Score:6577
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Somalaris » September 14th, 2013, 6:48 pm

He destroyed me a couple of times, but then i absolutely ruined him with my unborn val'kyr, tranquil mechanical yeti and darkmoon tonk. haunt with the val'kyr, which obviously does some damage but also means he misses his frill blast, then yeti to call lightning. attack a time or two, get killed, then use ion cannon when it gets back up. then to tonk, and nothing much special. usually end the fight with tonk at half hp and val'kyr at full.

Gracies
Pet Score:5026
BattleTag®:Graciepriest#1638
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Gracies » September 14th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I used a Menagerie Custodian, Darkmoon Tonk, and Anubisath Idol.

Pyy
Top Rater
Pet Score:11087
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Pyy » September 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Yamum wrote:Tried a different setup and got it in 5 rounds. Clockwork Gnome, Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender, Cogblade Raptor.

Round 1: Build Turret - Cogblade Raptor gets swapped in
Round 2: Exposed Wounds
Round 3: Batter
Round 4: Batter - Cogblade Raptor dies, sub in Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender
Round 5: Hunting Party - Zandalari Kneebiter/Anklerender dies - Lil' Oondasta dies from turret.
This strategy utterly decimated him much faster than my 3x mech team were. Thanks!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 15th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I've been using:

Landros Lichling
Pandaren Waterspirit
Stunted Shardhorn (P/P)

1. Landros - Open with CoD
2. Spirit - Geyser
3. Spirit - Whirlpool
4. Shardhorn - Survival
5. Shardhorn - Stampede
6. Shardhorn - Stampede <== dies here

If crush misses the spirit and doesn't kill it at the end of step 3:
4. Swap in shardhorn <== should survive one hit
5. Shardhorn - Stampede <== shardhorn dies here due to no survival
6. Waterspirit finishes off stunned oondasta

worked for the last few days without a hitch. It's basically a slight modification of the BoF nuke team.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Warbeauty
Pet Score:3455
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Warbeauty » September 16th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I use this simple method:

Fox Kit: Howl

fox dies

Pocket Reaver: Punch. Punch.

Pocket Reaver Dies.

Son of Animus: Interupting Jolt. Batter or Punch. Batter or Punch. And occasionally I will Siphon Anima as the finisher.

Lil Oon Dies.

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » September 16th, 2013, 3:05 pm

I use a three mech team which is the same team I used for Xu-Fu

Sunreaver
Call Lightening
(There will be times when the Sunreaver does not die on the back lines and you can use fel flame)

Clockwork Gnome
Build Turret
Fist
Turret

Yeti
Fist (Sometimes he does not come into play)

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm

The main trick to it seems to start with a pet that has [ability]Ion Cannon[/ability] and to use that on the first round. The first pet is going to get swapped out after that round anyway, so the recharge isn't a problem. What you do after that shouldn't matter too much, because you just took out a third of his health in the first round.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 16th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Sanzul wrote:The main trick to it seems to start with a pet that has [ability]Ion Cannon[/ability] and to use that on the first round. The first pet is going to get swapped out after that round anyway, so the recharge isn't a problem. What you do after that shouldn't matter too much, because you just took out a third of his health in the first round.
That first Ion Cannon really doesn't hit that hard because of the 50% reduction buff. Sure it's possible to power through him by just pounding away at him but almost all strats I've seen use some technique to work around the buff instead of just powering through it.

Howl/Hunting Party/what ever takes that 50% reduction and flips it up to a 50% increase. So the 1000 point Ion Cannon that gets reduced to 500 by the buff gets pushed up to 1500 by the debuff. That means two rounds of big attacks with the debuff up take a huge chuck out of his health. Shock and Awe + Ion Cannon with the debuff up should be enough to almost kill him.

% health abilities like Trample and explode ignore the 50% reduction buff so continue to hit pretty well. This means a DM Zep exploding ends up hitting as hard as an Ion Cannon with no debuff up.

Multi-hit abilities combined with + X amount of dmg debuffs also adds a huge amount of extra dmg. Black Claw + batter or Turrent is pretty crazy dmg. Using the strat against Aki results in 1k+ dmg in a single turn which still hurts through the 50% reduction buff.

My preferred strat uses two of the three and he's a complete joke. I open with Ion Cannon and let him swap out that pet into a Direhorn who tramples until almost dead and then Stamped's so that the 100% debuff is up for a mech to blow him to pieces but by that point almost any mech would do as he's already softened up and the mechs are hitting so hard.

There are a number of other pets you could use instead of the Direhorn and several of them would probably even work better if you didn't have any good mechanical units. Clefthoof runts, Peanut and the Pint-Sized Pink Pachyderm all have both Trample and Stamped like the direhorn. They even have Survival which would be good for an extra attack since you are faster. Give me two random mechs and any one of those pets and you should be able to win easily. Just have to make sure your second mech has less health than your Direhorn/peanut.

Likebigbuttz
Pet Score:5322
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Likebigbuttz » September 16th, 2013, 5:52 pm

The basic combo I use for Tommy, the Celestial Cat and Bull is:

Turret
Swap
Black Claw
Hunting Party or Swap back for another turret.

Cleans up Tommy without using the 3rd Pet and has done well so far on the Celestials (early days so hard to see if RNG has played a part for or against me)

Just seems to do a awful lof of damage when a turret (or two) hits them when debuffed with Balck Claw and if possible, the debuff from Hunting Party. 300+ damage from EACH turret shot.

Yaafm
Pet Score:3669
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Yaafm » September 17th, 2013, 11:48 am

Im using Etherial soul trader, Minfernal, Mechanical pandarian dragonling.

Etherial first: Block, beam, beam, life exchange, beam, block, switch to...
Pandarian dragonling: gets hit by wave when comes in dies and switchs to...
Minfernal: Explode, bring in...
Dragonling: explode
Etherial: beam, he dies.

Skarn
Top Rater
Pet Score:5024
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Skarn » September 17th, 2013, 12:09 pm

I've improved my Tommy strat since posting last week, so I'm sharing the better version!

Tranquil Mechanical Yeti [1,1,2]
Darkmoon Tonk [1,1,2]
Menagerie Custodian [1,1,2]

Start with the Yeti, cast Call Lightning. Yeti will be swapped by Frill Blast. Tonk should come in.
Shock and Awe, then spam Missile until the Tonk dies and revives. (How many Missiles you get off depends on if S&A stuns and if Crush misses you.) Ion Cannon on your revive round.
Bring Yeti back in. Frill Blast is likely next, so just Ion Cannon.
Lil' Oondasta may be dead now, but if not, the Custodian can easily finish it off with S&A and Ion Cannon.

If Frill Blast puts the Custodian in instead of the Tonk, just follow the same actions. Easy, repeatable, reliable win!

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » September 19th, 2013, 10:21 am

Skarn wrote:Tranquil Mechanical Yeti [1,1,2]
Darkmoon Tonk [1,1,2]
Menagerie Custodian [1,1,2]

Start with the Yeti, cast Call Lightning. Yeti will be swapped by Frill Blast. Tonk should come in.
Just tried Yeti and Tonk (unused third was DM Zep), worked exactly as above. Second Ion Cannon blew him up.

Post by Guest » September 19th, 2013, 10:51 am

Tranquil Mechanical Yeti with Lightning Storm (nothing else matters), Clockwork Gnome with Metal Fist/ Build Turrets and Jade Oozeling (though guessing any ooze will work) with Corrosion and Acidic Goo

Strategy: Start with yeti and cast Lightning Storm, he will be forced to the back next move and Clockwork Gnome will come out set up turret, use metal fist until turret is back up, build another turret, clockwork usually dies after that. Bring out Jade Oozeling, case Corrosion and then Acidic Goo and dino will be dead before the next turn.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I wanted to try something different with this guy last night so I did him with the following team.

Willy 1/2/2
Core Hound 1/1/2
Blighted Squirrel 1/1/2

Opened with Willy and used Rot to make him undead.
He swapped in the Core hound who did Howl then Scratch and then he died.
Brought in the Blighted Squirrel and hit scratch while howl debuff was still up. He died and rezed and I used Stampede.
Brought Willy back in and tounge lashed him to finish him off.

A stiched pup would probably work better than the core hound as it should get one more turn from the undead rez. Not really a recommended team but I wanted to play with Willy and the Rot/critter attacks combo.

Jrallen01
Pet Score:7930
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Jrallen01 » September 20th, 2013, 8:12 am

1. infested bear cub.
bash
roar
corpse explosion..
2 dark moon zep
decoy
missle till dead
explode on rez
3 clockwork gnome
turret
metal fist till win.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 21st, 2013, 6:21 am

Got him down to 4 rounds now. Using a Clockwork Gnome and 2 x Zandalari Anklerender/Kneebiter.

Round 1: Build Turret - first raptor gets swapped in
Round 2: Black Claw
Round 3: Hunting Party - first raptor dies - bring in second raptor
Round 4: Hunting Party - Lil' Oondasta dies

Can anyone improve upon 4 rounds?