So.... This first time a day drop rate....

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Lightwonder
Top Rater
Pet Score:5434
BattleTag®:Lightwonder#1969
Realm:Kirin Tor-us
So.... This first time a day drop rate....

Post by Lightwonder » September 15th, 2013, 10:08 pm

I had heard some people talking about you can only get the RARE mob pets off the first kill of the day. And now that i think about it, i have only got mine off of the first kills....

My question for the group is, other then farmable pets (ie. - Ominous flame, etc...) have you seen the Rare pets drop for you after your first kill???

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Re: So.... This first time a day drop rate....

Post by Merana » September 15th, 2013, 10:24 pm

I can say for certain that three of the four pets I have were the first time ever kills of these rares (on different characters). For the alemental, I could have sworn I killed him several times today and then had a pet drop, but I might be wrong.

Wouldn't that include the "other" rare items too, though? Like Rime of the Time-Lost Mariner? Cause I got that one after several kills of the ship and not the first.

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » September 15th, 2013, 10:46 pm

How I wish this was true but it took me about 15 kills to the the ruby droplet, three for the alemental, and a loving shout out to Thor and Lavian for the sprite and adder because those never dropped after many kills as well. As for the other rares that give pets no luck on those either, I have not been able to try for the other sprite.

Bufo just drop the pet because you are so far away and I hate those frogs :cry:

Lightwonder
Top Rater

Post by Lightwonder » September 15th, 2013, 10:57 pm

My question is was it the first kill of the "day" for you to get pet or did you kill them several time in one 24hr'ish period then it dropped?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 15th, 2013, 11:09 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get the pets to drop off of rare mobs on any kill, not just the first kill of the day. Perhaps there's just a very, very slight increase in chance on your first for each day?

I can say for certain that I received my Ruby Droplet on my fourth kill; all kills completed in the same 24 hour time frame (one right after another).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lightwonder
Top Rater

Post by Lightwonder » September 15th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Cool thx for the reply. i have just been lucky / unlucky then.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 16th, 2013, 6:13 am

There is no way it is first of the day ONLY. But what I think is you just have a higher chance with your first kill of the day. Based on the variable I saw on wowhead, it also doesn´t get progressively less with each kill. In other words, your second kill and your 100th kill would have the same chance.

My guess -

First kill - 10%
All other kills 1%

Also, what I am doing now is seeing if it is account specific or character specific. Where is Blizzard storing that variable.

Just to add - This is all just guesswork.. But there are two big pieces of evidence

1. Blizzard is definitely tracking our first kill of the rares each day. Once we kill that rare, our character (or account) is changed to indicate we killed it.

2. Anecdotal evidence - Myself, and a lot of people are getting their pets on the first kill. In my own case, I have slaughtered the dancers and the ones in the cave, and my only drops came on the first kill of the day. I am always skeptical of people saying ´first kill, got drop´ type things, but this is way too many people reporting it.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 16th, 2013, 6:30 am

I don't think there's any difference on your first kill or your successive ones. Its not a change that they discussed, and I've gotten several off of successive kills. The fact that people DO get them on their first kills really doesn't mean anything. For every person that says "first kill!" there's always someone who spent a lot more time on it.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » September 16th, 2013, 8:11 am

Sorry to debunk the theories here, but I got my droplet on what was probably the 11th or 12th kill of the day. Same goes for the Dancers, was killing them for an hour until one dropped. I've not seen any better luck on first kills of the day, except that the armor tokens appear to not drop after the 1st kill.

Index

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » September 16th, 2013, 9:29 am

Given the number of mobs, and the number of people playing, it would be a very resource intensive practice to track everyone's first kill of the day of all these mobs. Much easier to simply drop something based off of a random percentage each time.

Hargrid
Pet Score:6715
Realm:Antonidas-eu

Post by Hargrid » September 16th, 2013, 10:15 am

The same speculation is going on for huolon and the mount he can drop. for each rare there are 2 associated "quests". one for 1st kill of the day and the other ist for n-th kill. those "quests" seem to only affect the number of timeless coins the mobs can/will drop. as of now there is no guaranteed source if it affects the chance of pet/mount to drop and if so on wich basis.
Last edited by Hargrid on September 16th, 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azrile

Post by Azrile » September 16th, 2013, 11:24 am

I got a dancer today on the first kill.

Sorry, but for someone who has killed probably 500 of them.. both times I got a drop was on the first kill of the day. Not to mention the Spirit of Jade, which I also kill proabably 5 times a day.. only drop was first of the day.

It is not impossible to get them on other kills, but the first kill must have different drop chances based on that spell listed. Also, the MMO-champion review of Timeless island also mentions something to the same affect.. and that was written during PTR, maybe with some info from the devs.

Azrile

Post by Azrile » September 16th, 2013, 11:29 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:Given the number of mobs, and the number of people playing, it would be a very resource intensive practice to track everyone's first kill of the day of all these mobs. Much easier to simply drop something based off of a random percentage each time.
They are definitely tracking it, wowhead datamined it. You can tell easily from the number of timeless coins you get. The first kill of every rare give you more coins. They are definitely using two different loot tables per player depending on if you killed that rare already, would be very easy for them to have different drop chances for the pet also.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 16th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Azrile wrote:I got a dancer today on the first kill.

Sorry, but for someone who has killed probably 500 of them.. both times I got a drop was on the first kill of the day. Not to mention the Spirit of Jade, which I also kill proabably 5 times a day.. only drop was first of the day.

It is not impossible to get them on other kills, but the first kill must have different drop chances based on that spell listed. Also, the MMO-champion review of Timeless island also mentions something to the same affect.. and that was written during PTR, maybe with some info from the devs.
You were just looking for a specific conclusion and your recent experience just happened to fit the conclusion you are looking for. Coincidence does not indicate causality. There are just as many people who do not get them on their first kill; they are just less likely to brag about it. I got my dancer after killing about 50 last night, and several hundred overall.

Whenever I've gotten an aqua strider from Nalash it was on my first kill of the day! The chance must be higher!!1!!11!

I get that people are always looking for an explanation when they are frustrated by a pet they've been working on. But this is just a rumor that such a person started. Let's not spread it as fact.

Lightwonder
Top Rater

Post by Lightwonder » September 16th, 2013, 1:56 pm

my original question was answered. Yes you are able to get the pets after the first kill of that on that "Rare Elite". I wanted to make sure that myself and others were not wasting there times farming these mobs. I was luck to get my first 3 pets that drop from "Rare Elites" on the first try Of the day(good odds i guess). I have not personal had pets drop after the first kill. That is excluding regular mobs like the Jademist dancers and the mob that drops Ominous flame.

There are things we dont know and blizz did not inform us about. Case in point... The Purple crystal that spawn the Angry Spirtes can only be used once a day. I did not read that anywhere and spend an hour waiting for it to spawn just to find out. :cry: Now i could have missed it somewhere so dont jump on me if im wrong.

Maybe we can use this thread a fact resource. Trying to dispell rumor. Feel free to add.

What we know
-Pets / items can drop after the first kill of that mob a day.
-Blizz is tracking the first kills of Rare elites. (wowhead dataminded it? You are given more coins on the first kill then after?)

What we dont know
-does your drop chance lower after your first kill or any kill after that?
-if it is lowered, is it acct wide or just that toon?

Thank you for adding to this thread with all the info we have heard and seen.

Ebil

Post by Ebil » September 16th, 2013, 2:55 pm

The amount of coins change from kill to kill based on my times killing the whale and ship. As for the purple crystal I read (on wowhead maybe?) that it has a respawn timer of 1-2 hours. I do know it can spawn more then once a day from seeing the dead bodies of angry spirtes around a few times. It would be nice if they made it a group tag like everything else.

Lightwonder
Top Rater

Post by Lightwonder » September 16th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Yes the crystal spawns every 1-2 hrs. BUT you can only use it once a day per toon, you can see it there but you are unable to click on it. trust me i know QQ. Its only toon based so you can get on another toon a grab it if you are quick. I dont know if its a bug or if that is something blizz did on purpose.

Which gets me back on point there are things blizz is not telling us!!!! #sarcasm

Azrile

Post by Azrile » September 16th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Lightwonder wrote:Yes the crystal spawns every 1-2 hrs. BUT you can only use it once a day per toon, you can see it there but you are unable to click on it. trust me i know QQ. Its only toon based so you can get on another toon a grab it if you are quick. I dont know if its a bug or if that is something blizz did on purpose.

Which gets me back on point there are things blizz is not telling us!!!! #sarcasm
Yeah, appears to be an oversight on Blizz´s part. The skull in the cave you do not even see after you have done it once that day.

As far as the first drop of the day. I have my own data ( 6 total pet drops, 5 from first kill of the day), MMO-champion reporting about it during beta, and the spell datamined on wowhead. If I had only gotten ´lucky´ once or twice, than I would say I got lucky.. but 5 of 6 on the first kill, and farming a ton of those mobs... statistically impossible. The only puzzling part is that Blizzard did not tell us If they wanted to dissuade spot farming. ´hey guys, relax, just try to kill everything on the island each day and you will get the pets soon enough.

Ebil

Post by Ebil » September 16th, 2013, 11:25 pm

That maybe just luck on your part. I have three characters on the isle and none of them have had a pet drop on the first kill of the day. It is rng and some people have luck while others are going to have to rack up the kills.

Azrile

Post by Azrile » September 17th, 2013, 3:47 am

1. NOBODY said you are guaranteed a drop on the first kill of the day.
2. NOBODY said you can´t get the drop after the first kill of the day.

Sorry, but I like to do the math. and based off wowhead I am saying 10% chance for the first kill of the day, 1% chance after that. I am also fairly certain ( after 3 days of testing on 10 level 90s) that it is shared by account.

I also have a little list, and make sure I kill each boss one time per day (rather than camping Garnia like before). i am forcing the frog, crab and pythons to spawn because my server is pretty low population and making sure I am killing them each day on at least a couple characters just to see if this is account or character based.