Celestial tournament

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Aerozia
Pet Score:8990
BattleTag®:Aerozia#1505
Realm:Skullcrusher-us
Celestial tournament

Post by Aerozia » September 13th, 2013, 3:22 am

Its unbeatable. without healing I do not believe it can be done but by someone with multiple of the same pets at 25, and even then only if they have at least 200 worthwhile 25s.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Re: Celestial tournament

Post by Ryazan » September 13th, 2013, 3:50 am

Or you could have just posted in the existing threads.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Synergy6
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Synergy6 » September 13th, 2013, 5:08 am

It's very doable, just a bit frustrating.

You need a good set of mechanicals for the Xu & Zao.
2 Darkmoon Tonks or Zeppelins would be beneficial, also pets with Call Lightening.

BoF (Beast of Fable) team for Chi Chi.

For Yu-La get a nice group of humanoids (Anubisath, Kun Lai etc)

Research is key. Btw, My duplicates include 2 tonks & 2 runts.

I even used some poor quality pets - scourged whelpling (Level 21) for Wrathion ;)

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » September 13th, 2013, 9:04 am

Its very much doable, tho it is hard. I completed it on second try, i decided to check up on 3 of the celestials moveset first time i was in there, cause it was looking grim after killing the first one, but i chose my own team setups. I didnt use a single pet i had multiples off, i guess i used like 30 pets in there.

Its hard and frustrating, but its far from impossible.

Nuterx
Pet Score:4031
BattleTag®:NuterX#1802
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Nuterx » September 13th, 2013, 9:37 am

Yea... it's hard :)

I win my first Celestial Tournamant on my 5th try

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » September 13th, 2013, 9:43 am

I went through about 40 pets for the fights. I have around 120 or so levelled. It's really not that difficult, I had only the haziest notion of research done so I learned on the fly.

I think one of the most important things for people to consider is that the 3 variable tamers aren't that hard. They're not easy, but they can generally be defeated by simple rock paper scissors strategies unless you're trying to 2 pet them to carry a third, and I for one won't worry about that until I've had a crack at each of the groups at least once to gather some first hand information.

If you use the rock paper scissors strategy to defeat the variable trainers you shouldn't have an issue hoarding your badass pets to deal with the celestials.

If you're also still preparing (since you have a whole week to do it) you're better one levelling different pets. It's end gameish pet battling content and you wouldn't expect to go into Siege of Orgrimmar in greens so you shouldn't expect to faceroll the Celestial Tournament with 3 bandicoons, 1 poor quality nexus whelpling, and a cinder kitten. Give yourself a broad choice of pets so that you can afford to make mistakes, and through some sub level 20 pets to the wolves to get an idea of what the NPC pets can do and the order they do it in.

You might need to do more than just alternate between Tri horn charge and horn attack on your triple dire horn team.

Stoutspectre
Pet Score:4473
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Stoutspectre » September 13th, 2013, 10:38 am

I've always thought of this pet stuff as fluff. Just a really fun hobby on the side. But the Celestial Tournament is a bit cruel and stressful.
I went at it completely wrong my first time in. I was trying to bludgeon my way through, and that won't work with these guys. Your best team is going to fail. I changed up my tactics the second time, used unexpected combinations and stacked dots with defensive debuffs and multi round skills. It took a lot of trial and error, but eventually I prevailed and got a Xuen cub.

The best advice I can give is throw your conventional tactics and teams out if you're having trouble. I threw my very best at them initially, and they were completely taken apart.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » September 13th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Aerozia wrote:Its unbeatable. without healing I do not believe it can be done but by someone with multiple of the same pets at 25, and even then only if they have at least 200 worthwhile 25s.
See the existing thread "Celestial Tournament 101" for many teams that worked for us.

I have 42 level 25s, no duplicates (yet, leveling another Zandalari Kneebiter) but beat the tourney with only one team for each battle. It's obviously not unbeatable.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » September 13th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Sellys wrote:It's end gameish pet battling content and you wouldn't expect to go into Siege of Orgrimmar in greens so you shouldn't expect to faceroll the Celestial Tournament with 3 bandicoons, 1 poor quality nexus whelpling, and a cinder kitten.
This is the truth.

I turbo-failed the first few attempts, having done no research (but I have a good number of "good" pets), and laughed at myself.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 13th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Easier than the Pandaria tamers, imo. Had the whole thing done in under an hour with no research. Zao died in 4 rounds.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » September 13th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Yamum wrote:Easier than the Pandaria tamers, imo. Had the whole thing done in under an hour with no research. Zao died in 4 rounds.
Pray tell what you used for Zao.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 13th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Zandalari Kneebiter + Zandalari Anklerender.

Black Claw, Hunting Party, Hunting Party - raptor dies
Hunting Party - Zao dies

Zythehealer
Pet Score:2908
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zythehealer » September 13th, 2013, 8:11 pm

I've got a list of 36 pets with only one double (two Anub Idols) that I'll be using for next weeks tournament. I've got some backups like an Arcane Storm team, the howlbomb trio and Zand raptors but you don't need 200+ pets. There are several good guides out there now telling you strats and giving ideas on what to level.