Breeds & Types

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Slaystation
Pet Score:670
Realm:Bonechewer-us
Breeds & Types

Post by Slaystation » September 9th, 2013, 4:57 am

I recently started battle pets and I love! I'm pretty new to it all still and found out there are different breeds. Well what I'm wanting to know is what is the best BREED for each TYPE (magic, flying, undead, humanoid) ect ect) :ugeek:

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Breeds & Types

Post by Luciandk » September 9th, 2013, 5:41 am

Thats an unanswerable question. You need to consider the abilities as well.

Like does the pet have an ability that benefits from going first? Then you want high speed. Are the pet focused on healing? Then you depend on high power to really make the heals strong.

Or sometimes you just want a pet to counter a specific npc pet, such as in the upcomming celestial tournament. Where having a counterpet with just a smidgen more speed than possessed by the specific npc pet will give you the advantage.

And sometimes specific pets only comes in one breed, which may or may not be bad. But the abilities themselves is awesome and somewhat making up for it.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » September 9th, 2013, 5:46 am

We have had this up a few times, and the answer always is, that its hard to say what breeds are the best, without bringing up a specific pet (and even then it can be).

Power is usualy the best, speed is obviously strong for moves that benefit from it, like interrupts, stuns and dodges. HP is usualy only good if you have a lot of stalling abilities. Balance is for when the other breeds arent good :P

But i can try bringing up a few things:

Link to family chart: http://cdn.warcraftpets.com/images/pet- ... .v8271.gif

Flying - you rarely need speed, since they have their speed buff, so power is usualy the way to go on these.

Humanoid - They heal based on their max HP, so they gain more out of it than others do. But unless they got some other stall ability (like the anub idol sandstorm), its not enough of a gain to be worth it. But a lot of them also have interrupt or stun abilities, that makes speed better.

Beasts - Their breed ability scales with power, with can make for some really strong hits. But its hard to say here, speed will make sure you can get some hits in when you are under 50%, and same with Health, since it gives you more health to probaly soak up an extra hit.

Magic - It doesnt benefic from anything specific, but health doesnt do much on them, since they cant take massive hits anyways, so low health magic pets can be very strong, since the hp stats roll over into speed and power.

Undead - Since they will always get up when killed, and get an extra turn, speed doesnt do much for them, you will always get the same number of hits in doing a fight. Tho you will take a hit you wouldnt if you kill a pet that goes before you, but with enough power you probaly also killed that pet a turn earlier, saving a hit either way.

Mechanic - These scale with health, since you get returned with 35% health, health is basicly 1/3 more effective. But as with humanoids, if you dont have some defensive abilities to support this, its not worth it.

Aquatic - They offen have healing abilities, and those scale with power, so a lot of power is the way to go. This doesnt count for % based healing, where you want as much health as you can instead.

Dragonkin - Scales with power, you can get in some insane hits the turn after you killed a pet. I find that this ability offen go to waste tho, because you end up bringing a pet to under 25% without killing them, and you next turn you would have killed them even without the buffs. Tho power is probaly still the best in general.

I cant really think of anything specific with Elementals and Critters :)

EDIT: Just want to point out my views are for pve, i dont care much about pvp.
Also some of the "racials" have changed with the patch, it might change things.
Last edited by Domie on September 12th, 2013, 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 9th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I agree with Luciandk there really is no answer to the question because it depends on the situation.

When you are fighting a known enemy like the pet battle masters or the upcomming celestial tournament then you just need enough speed to be faster than what ever opponent you are worried about if you want to be faster. Anything more is wasted. In PVP you never know how fast your opponents pets might be so you have to decide how important is it for me to be faster than my opponent. That might mean that a S/S bird makes sense even with their racial speed buff as you might need to be faster than another bird or you might want to remain faster even after you've lost half your health and lost the racial buff.

As was mentioned somethings are fairly obvious like attacks that deal extra dmg when you attack first or when you stun if you go first etc. Others aren't as obvious like the magic pet racial limiting the max hit to 40 (soon to be 35%) of their max health. This can make a p/p ooze pretty effective at tanking as they can heal quite a bit and limit bit hits to do less dmg. They are weaker to multiple hits and dots tho.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 10th, 2013, 3:11 am

Slaystation wrote:I recently started battle pets and I love! I'm pretty new to it all still and found out there are different breeds. Well what I'm wanting to know is what is the best BREED for each TYPE (magic, flying, undead, humanoid) ect ect) :ugeek:
There really is no answer. But a general rule is HPS is better then B.

But other than that, it comes down to each individual pet, and more importantly, what you are fighting. I use this example a lot. An S-S pet sounds great vs an enemy. But if an S-P pet is faster than that enemy, then it is better... and if a P-P pet is also faster than that enemy, then it is far better than the S-S pet.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 10th, 2013, 11:09 am

Have to agree with the others. However, there is a lot to be said for going first.

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by TippyKitt » September 10th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Yamum wrote:Have to agree with the others. However, there is a lot to be said for going first.
Except for moves like Tail Sweep that deals a lot more damage if it goes second...

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 10th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Ah, but if the fast pet kills the pet with Tail Sweep before it can attack...

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by TippyKitt » September 10th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Yamum wrote:Ah, but if the fast pet kills the pet with Tail Sweep before it can attack...
Typically Tail Sweep isn't strong enough when going first to kill in one hit unless the caster is a higher level than the opponent and then the point is moot.

Lets take another pet and set of abilities. The Oily Slimeling is a DOT pet. Dosn't matter if it goes first or second because its abilities do, at most, 140 damage in one go (never enough to one shot a lvl 25 pet) but its Corrosion and Acidic goo do 210 damage each over the next couple of rounds. Along with Absorb doing 140 each turn. The OS benefits from the H/H breed more than it could benefit from the S/S breed because it just lays down the DOTs and waits out the opponent. With over 1700 hp it can just sit back and renew its DOTs when it needs to. Its like a warlock that can wear plate armor.

If I go back to the tail sweep I was mostly referring to the Infinite Whelpling which has other reasons to favor something else other than speed. First, tail sweep which does roughly 50% extra damage if its slower. Then Early Advantage which does double damage if the user has less health than the opponent so H/H isn't advantageous here. And finally Healing Flame who's heal is based on the power of the pet. That all makes me want a Whelp that will hit hard vs having lots of health or being fast.

I'm not saying speed should be discounted all together, heck no. The fluxfire is totally an S/S pet. Pounce does 50% extra damage if it goes first and if you choose prowl over supercharge the 30% speed reduction may not really be an issue with an S/S.