How does your guild handle vanity pets in raids?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Laylaik
How does your guild handle vanity pets in raids?

Post by Laylaik » September 5th, 2013, 5:13 am

Hi!
I am not a collector myself, but around 10 guildies in my guild are.
How does your guild handle the distribution of vanity pets dropping from raid bosses?
We are looking for a fair system, that is fast, we dont want to stand around debating it for 10 mins after a boss dies :)
Ideally it would award good raid performance, but only for people who actually care about the pets.
Any tips are welcome, we have some ideas, but it proves to be harder then thought.
Many thanks!

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Re: How does your guild handle vanity pets in raids?

Post by Sanzul » September 5th, 2013, 6:07 am

Anyone who cares does a /roll. Anyone who doesn't actually care but rolls anyway gets shouted at on Mumble. If you want to bypass that potential drama, do a raid roll and give it to whoever wins.

As with any loot distribution, you'll get less drama the simpler the system is. Trying to use it as a reward will just annoy the hardcore pet collectors because they lose out of pets for arbitrary reasons, while it'll also annoy people who don't care about pets as they won't get any rewards for anything.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » September 5th, 2013, 7:26 am

Like Sanzul said :

Raid roll , fair and equal chance for everyone (pet lovers or not)
Then let them negociate offline without involved the raid group.

some raiders will give (or even sell why not) the pet if win and if they dont care to pet lovers in guild
some will just will just keep it and sell it or not...... etc...
it is a personnal taste so they decide , but at the base equal chance and simplicity is not a guarantee of drama free but help tremendously.... :)

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » September 5th, 2013, 10:17 am

Not really a problem in my guild, because my guild all hit the raids solo (except BWL). When it comes to having gone in a group, first priority goes to those who don't have the pet. They do a need roll. If everyone has that particular pet, it just goes down to a greed roll, like any other gear not needed for transmog.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 5th, 2013, 12:29 pm

If we actually had any pets drop, we'd /roll (same with mounts). Pretty much a moot point since we've not had anything to roll on (yay RNG). I've already let my guildmates know that I'm always up for buying pets from them, so it's in their best interests to all roll on it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 5th, 2013, 12:34 pm

My guild is a raiding guild first and foremost, but we also have quite a few interested in pets (myself included :P).

For all vanity items that drop during raids (mounts and pets), we do the following: Raiders roll, highest roller wins. Winner may do what he/she pleases with the item. Although we don't make it mandatory that people pass, all loot is still under officer discretion.

Keep in mind that although I say "Raider", that isn't just anyone that raids. In my guild we have three raiding ranks.
  • Initiate - Those that just join and are undergoing a trial period to see if they would be a good fit for the guild.
  • Member - Those that passed their trial but are still fairly new. They need to perform well and maintain consistent/good attendance while at this rank. Minimum time at this rank is 2 months.
  • Raider - Those that have proved themselves to be loyal guildies and perform well enough. Strict attendance requirements are required for this rank.
So essentially, we wake into account attendance and performance (although performance is highly subjective at times, so it's not as big a factor) and seniority/longevity in the guild.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 5th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Quintessence wrote:Keep in mind that although I say "Raider", that isn't just anyone that raids. In my guild we have three raiding ranks.

So essentially, we wake into account attendance and performance (although performance is highly subjective at times, so it's not as big a factor) and seniority/longevity in the guild.
My previous raid group had a similar ranking system, with trials, regular raiders and senior raiders. Senior raiders were folks with good attendance and performance (though there was no strict definition) and the pay off was full raid repairs, guaranteed raid slots and being able to roll on patterns and mounts.

I think this sort of system works best in a 25 man guild or a guild with a larger, rotating roster. In most 10 mans with a small set roster, /roll is probably the most popular way to handle mounts and pets.

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9081
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » September 6th, 2013, 4:58 am

Well in our raid we have 2 or 3 of fanatic pet collectors, a number of semi-fanatic ones (also 2-3) and others that don’t really care.
As we have a tight group, and a relative small guild, we know which people are fanatic collectors.
(there are like 6-7 in the whole guild)

We don’t have any roll rule in place. So every player around when the pet drops is allowed to roll and to do with the pet as he/she pleases.
We do have the courtesy though to let the most fanatic collectors have a go first at the pets. (the raidleader asks for this courtesy when a drop occurs)
The only rule that applies in that case, is that the one that wins, also learns the pet. i.e you are not supposed to roll just to sell the pet.
It is allowed, but it is frowned upon, and actually does not happen in our group, which is a bunch of people that do not make a fuss over loot.
We never had big arguments about drops in the raid, not pets, not mounts, not gear.
(we are willing to pass for another player if he/she benefits more, or if someone already got a piece that raid)

When the first sandling dropped, we rolled with 2 people, and I was the lucky one to win.
After I got my sandling, I just rolled on further sandlings (about 5 have dropped so far in our raids), but with the notice that I was willing to pass for those that still wanted it. (i.e that my roll was a greed roll, and that others could have priority over it if they rolled to learn and not to sell)