Could We Ask Them To Just Defeat, Not Kill?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
Re: Could We Ask Them To Just Defeat, Not Kill?

Post by Doobjanka » October 3rd, 2012, 6:50 pm

I think of it like the wilds are played by someone else who cares enough to revive them when they're defeated as I do when mine are. They just have the eight minute cool down as well, and no access to a stable master.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

Lysi wrote:There are NPCs all over the game who talk about things like restoring the balance of nature, good and evil. Morals come up constantly, it's a big part of the game. As outsiders we may see some aren't as virtuous as they think they are, but that doesn't change the fact many NPCs are motivated by the idea they're doing the right thing. Some NPCs say they only use violence as a last resort, and it's pretty easy to play your own character this way, since most of the things you are asked to kill, will kill you on sight. But my big problem with pet battles isn't about killing creatures in general, it's because they are my pets, creatures I care for and have for companionship. Sending them in to fight for no reason is betrayal, it's like grouping with someone and then hiding behind a rock as they die. Over and over and over again. The pet battles could have been designed as duels, harmless practice fights. It wouldn't make any more or less sense than the way it is now, pointless fighting with no story line.
I'm not attempting to sway your opinion on the matter, Lysi. To do so would be disrespectful of you and your beliefs. I'm just noting the in-setting attitude toward gladiatorial combat, which is likely to directly translate to the in-setting attitude toward animal fights.

As you note there are a few NPCs spread throughout the game that speak out against the harming of wildlife and peace over violence, but they are few in number. They are the exception to the rule; in the setting, their beliefs are fringe beliefs. Even shamans and druids frequently condone the slaughter of the elementals and animals under their protection for various reasons. Death, destruction, corruption, and murder are simply facts of everyday life on Azeroth.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » October 3rd, 2012, 8:27 pm

Thank you for being respectful, Kingdms. I'm glad people are enjoying the pet minigame. I'm very happy with the rest of the expansion, love playing a panda.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Demintia

Post by Demintia » October 3rd, 2012, 9:12 pm

I would just like to point out two things.

This is a game. Despite our feelings in real life, the game is not real. What we do in game does not indicate how we feel in about situations out of game. If someone is against the mini pet battle system, I would hope they also refuse to play hunters for the same reason.

You do not 'kill' the critters. You knock them out. It is a similar argument often used in Pokémon that falls short for that very reason. When it comes to the critters the HP indicates their consciousness, not their actual life force. You can still summon a pet to follow you even if their 'battle health' is at zero. Thus not dead.

-Extra fluff-
I am a huge Pokémon fan. I love the new pet battle system in wow. This does not mean I go around making my cats fight each other or other animals. Or I support REAL animals being pit against other people or creatures. (In fact I go out of my way to break up the feral cats who fight near my house.) I will stress this once more. It is a game. If we are going to complain about 'killing pets' in the game, lets also complain about the 'encouraged murder' between players (PvP) and the score of other 'morally' incorrect things we do in the game on a normal basis.

Ahriiman

Post by Ahriiman » October 10th, 2012, 12:41 am

I'm a Dk and I compleatly regret all my past history under the influence of the Lichking ( yea you hiding in ICC ).
I activly seek forgivnes for all the pain and suffering i caused to the inocents and I am totaly repentant of all my sins...
Aww forget it KILL EM ALL..
Can a DK take the moral high ground ? no not realy .

Personaly in pet battles I treat my pets like I do myself in game , no quarter given pull 'em out if I have to and if they fall well i pick 'em up afterwards.
If I'm capturing a pet then my first two will generaly fight to the 'death' so to speak just to guarentee the capture.

Yes its a game and no the pets arent real. HOWEVER when a raider gets that staff or better piece of gear they probably take just as much interest as what some pet collectors do with their pets. Like Lysi and the others here, To them its like leaving that oh so wonderfull sword in the gutter gathering rust.

Their pets have been through thick and thin with them sharing the highs and the lows of the game, some from the very begining have been constant, keeping them company and probably even cheering them up. So I can understand people not wanting to send their beloved pets into fights.

But as to do the combat pets kill ,hmmm... heres a few points
1 when you kill there is a body but pet combat has none, So are they actualy killed?
2 often when you goto a Pet stable you get told she/he is currently unavaliable while they sort out somthing injured.

Although it is blatantly obviouse I dont agree with Lysi and the others I do however understand where they are coming from and as such have complete respect for their views. my pets have a harder life but I like to think they grow strong from it.

Perbrethil
MVP
Pet Score:4148
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Perbrethil » October 10th, 2012, 2:47 am

I respect the comparrisson that is given between this and cockfighting, but my opinion is that it's total bull. you're entitled to your opinion, but every char of every player in wow has killed so many animals, humans and other creatures they each can fill the canals of stormwind with their blood. i hate it when people mix up the real and fake world.

You can also see it this way: what do you like better? That they do it in a game where nobody gets hurt or in real life?

Croxy
MVP
Pet Score:2009
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Croxy » October 11th, 2012, 10:09 pm

I do have to come down on the side of these pets being artificial constructs. They have no nerve endings. It's to the programmers' credit that the sounds and movements they recreated are close enough to cause me to wince at a rabbit's final squeak.

Still, the biggest difference is the lack of nerves, brains, and other organs which animals in the real world have. They can be observed to actively try to avoid painful/dangerous situations where as the wild pets have no such qualms.

I will not say that you must agree with me as I know immersion is an important part of gaming for a lot of people and even pet battles can be a big part of that. Play the game as you see fit. If you're not hurting anyone, the game's big enough for all of us. :)