Celestial Tournament - Reckon I'm prepared?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Synergy6
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu
Celestial Tournament - Reckon I'm prepared?

Post by Synergy6 » August 26th, 2013, 5:22 am

Hi guys

So I've been levelling up my pets & preparing for the tournament.

My collection: http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Synergy6/

66+ Pets at Max level. I have about 6-8 of each family.

Humanoid:

Kun Lai Runt x 2
CoreFire Imp
Anubisath Idol
Lil Bad Wof
Flayer Youngling
Qiraji Guardling
Harbinger of Flame

Dragonkin:

Emerald Proto Drake x 2
Celestial Dragon
Dark Whelpling
Nexus Whelpling
Onyixian Whelpling
Lil Tarecgosa
Nether Faerie Dragon
Chrominus
Death Talon WhelpGuard

Flying:

WildHammer Gryphon Hatchling
Nether Ray Fry
Dragon Bone Hatchling
Mei Li Sparkler
Sandy Petrel
Schechuan Chicken
Amber Moth
Garden Moth

Undead:

Scourged Whelpling
Unborn Val'Kyr
Lost of Lordaeron
Fossilized Hatchling
Spiriti Crab
Giant Bone Spider

Critters:

Rapana Whelk x 2
Fire Beetle
Alpine Hare
Marsh Fiddler
Resilient Roach
Yakrat
Rat

Magic:

Mini Mind Slayer
Minfernal
Lesser Void Caller
Arcane Eye
Shimmering Wyrmling
Menagrie Custodian

Elemental:

Crimson Geode
Electrified Razortooth
Fel Flame
Lil Ragnaros
Pandaren Earth Spirit
Pandaren Water Spirit
Singing Sun Flower

Beast:

DireHorn Runt
Emerald Boa
CleftHoof Runt
Zandalari Foot Slasher
Stunted Shardhorn
Summit Kid
Plains Monitor
Jungle Grub
Baby Ape

Aquatic:

Emerald Turtle x 2
Turquoise Turtle
Snarly
Gahz'Rooki
Emporer Crab
Spiny Terrapin
Spirebound Crab

Mechanical:

Darkmoon Tonk
Darkmoon Zeppelin
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
Sun Reaver Micro Sentry
Clockwork Gnome
Anodized Robo Cub

I do have a good number of pets that are between 20-25 as well which I have yet to level up.
Any other pets that could be added to my team?
All suggestions welcome :)
Last edited by Synergy6 on August 28th, 2013, 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Re: Celestial Tournament - Reckon I'm prepared?

Post by Skyquake » August 26th, 2013, 10:53 am

A Breed 5 (S/S) Flayer Youngling has both Deflection, which always goes first automatically, and Kick, which should go first by virtue of the breed. Might be some situational utility there. Don't plan on capturing a rare- it took me a dozen sweeps of their very limited spawning area just to find a poor of the right breed.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/hu ... youngling/

Synergy6

Post by Synergy6 » August 26th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Thanks - will look into it. Got a crap load of stones :)

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » August 27th, 2013, 8:04 am

No, you aren't prepared. Even if you will able to defeat 3 pet masters (what is question), I dont think you can defeat 4 Celestials.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » August 27th, 2013, 1:25 pm

One thing to remember. This is a once a week scenario.

There is no harm in failing, finding a pet that would be great, and then spending 20 minutes leveling him to 25.

The other thing I am thinking about. Use the most common pet you can to get the job done. If you can get past a tamer using a frog, or a rabbit.. do it. Save pets that have unique abilities until you really need them ( the last 4 fights).

I have like 240 level 25s now, I doubt I will have any problems, but I am still looking through my non-25s to see if there is anything that has unique abilities.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » August 27th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I haven't starting looking at the Celestial Tournament much but it's 7 fights which is 21 pets total assuming you never reuse a pet which is probably a good idea. There is some variety so you will definitely need more than the 21 pets total to be prepared but 61 pets could be enough to be successful and I haven't looked through is full list of pets to see which 25's he has.

Would it be easier if he had more pets leveled up? Sure.
Will he have to be creative to try to manage when particular pets get used? Definitely.
Will he have to try a few times to figure out strategy or deal with bad luck? Probably at first.

I look at it as could I go do 3 of the current Pandara battle masters followed by 4 of the legendary pets with out healing?

With my current teams I use? No because I reuse several "good" pets in multiple fights because they help me win quickly.

Could I adjust those teams so I could pull it off? Definitely as long as I'm not trying to do several of the same type of legendary. I have plenty of other mechanical pets besides the Darkmoon Tonk and he isn't really required for any of the fights currently even tho I use him for 4 or 5 tamers and all the beast legendaries.

For Synergy I'd focus on two things right now.

1) Making sure you have carry teams for all the Pandara tamers as this will allow you to quickly level up new pets as needed once the tournament comes out and you identify weakness is your currently available pets.

2) Leveling up additional pets. Focusing as much as possible on "good" pets with unique moves. Leveling up 15 more assorted moths to level 25 isn't going to be too helpful but 15 more varied pets definitely wouldn't hurt. Looking at your list of pets I'd probably try to get the other Zandalari raptors to lvl 25, the menagerie custodian and a mix of other types of pets. Don't forget you can filter your own list to get just your pets of X type.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » August 27th, 2013, 6:14 pm

One other thought but you might want to look into leveling up a few pets with increase % damage taken like Stamped/Flock/Hunting party or Howl because unless they have fixed this they work better than expected vs the 50% less damage taken buff.

Currently they are additive meaning that if your attack would do 100 dmg the buff drops it to 50 dmg. If you then apply a increase dmg taken by 100% buff instead of doubling that 50 dmg back up to 100 it takes the 50% reduction in dmg and turns it into a 50% increase in dmg and the attack does 150 dmg. Going from 50 dmg to 150 dmg is a huge improvement. This is why the Unborn Valk/Water elemental/Chromy team works. You are flipping the dmg reduction buff around to a dmg increasing debuff and hitting with a bunch of big delayed attacks.

Even stuff like fly-by , Acidic Goo that is a 25% debuff is going to be decent because your 50 dmg goes up to 75 dmg which ends up being a 50% improvement in dmg.

Synergy6

Post by Synergy6 » August 28th, 2013, 3:31 am

Thanks for all the replies!

Yep, I have been looking at-for pets with unique abilities.
Also, I have no problems with the beasts of fable - so I'm sure I'll be able to manage the tournament :)
I do possess carry teams for the pandaren pet tamers - complete them daily with a low level pet.

I have also been looking at specific breeds as well. Will look into creating more teams, and getting another Chrominus & Unborn.
Thanks again Kpb321,Skyquake,Azrile :)

Azrile

Post by Azrile » August 28th, 2013, 3:59 am

I finally sat down and did my notes tonight.

While there are only 7 fights, you will need teams for 10 fights, because you won´t know which set you get. I think it will be very easy to complete the tournament if you have the right 30 pets.

My list of 30 came out with some surprises, and I think there are niche pets that will be exceedingly valuable for some of the fights.

I will be using stuff like

Scooter the snail
Stone Armidello
Crimson shale spider
Sinister squashling
Sapphire cub
maggots, bats, snails, rabbits, rays, and bandicoons
Minfernal !!!

I am pretty excited that I was able to put those pets into my teams, most of them I never used before. Will be much better than just exploding my zepplin and tonking everything to death.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » August 28th, 2013, 4:39 am

Kpb321 wrote:Would it be easier if he had more pets leveled up? Sure.
If it's anything like the spirit tamers or beasts of fable, you'll need a "perfect" setup for most fights. Not necessarily the perfect pet, but the right family. Having a hundred critters and moths doesn't help if the tournament calls for four magic types or five robots. I think the best thing you can do right now in preparation for the tournament is to look through your pet list and make sure you have a decent number of pets of each family. Leveling up another flier or beast because it has a unique move is likely less useful than leveling up another magic or undead pet (or whatever you have few of).

Synergy6

Post by Synergy6 » August 28th, 2013, 5:47 am

Have updated my pet list in my original post.
Might have missed a few pets here and there thou.

Any ideas for good Magical Pets?

Thanks

Synergy6

Post by Synergy6 » August 28th, 2013, 8:20 am

Azrile wrote:I finally sat down and did my notes tonight.

I will be using stuff like

Scooter the snail Have 2 snails
Stone Armidello Will check move set
Crimson shale spider Have a Spider, not sure if Crimson thou
Sinister squashling Will have to level up
Sapphire cub Don't have :cry:
maggots, bats, snails, rabbits, rays, and bandicoons Do have :)
Minfernal !!! Got 1 level 25 :)

I am pretty excited that I was able to put those pets into my teams, most of them I never used before. Will be much better than just exploding my zepplin and tonking everything to death.
Thanks man :)
Not sure how I missed your post :|

Azrile

Post by Azrile » August 28th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Sanzul wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:Would it be easier if he had more pets leveled up? Sure.
If it's anything like the spirit tamers or beasts of fable, you'll need a "perfect" setup for most fights. Not necessarily the perfect pet, but the right family. Having a hundred critters and moths doesn't help if the tournament calls for four magic types or five robots. I think the best thing you can do right now in preparation for the tournament is to look through your pet list and make sure you have a decent number of pets of each family. Leveling up another flier or beast because it has a unique move is likely less useful than leveling up another magic or undead pet (or whatever you have few of).

In my 3 hours of research ( aka not much). the only thing that really stood out was, of course, that 2 of the final 4 legionaries are beasts. But only 2 of the other pets are beasts, and they seem pretty easy. I would have some common mechanical attacks to kill the beasts that are part of the teams, but save your good mechanical pets for the 2 legendary bests. There is also a really good opportunity to use wild jade(gold) hatchlings with lightning storm along with a turrets pet and stuff like that.

The other pet that kept coming up were snails ( critters with aqua attacks). That is basically how I picked my 30 pets. Pets that have natural protection against the enemies main attack, but has an attack that is also strong against them. Also obviously pets that have a dodge to avoid predictable big hits, or a shield to absorb dots for certain enemies. For instance, the second pet from Shadmaster Krynn is basically a Call lightning + dot mechanical pet... in which case an elemental pet with a shield is perfect ( shale spiders).

The definitely did a good job of mixing it up. Which is why I am excited. so many different odd pets can be used, and will be better than just slamming all of them with the same few pets we use now.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » August 28th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I'm probably prepared ;)

Radnok
Pet Score:4023
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Radnok » August 28th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Looks like I picked a good time to return to WoW after taking a few months off.

Based on what I am reading, I think I am fairly close to ready. I am sure I have some holes, but a few that I think will be good

Landro's Lil XT
Darkmoon Zeppelin
Emperor Crab

total of 39 pets at max level, 38 rare, 1 not sure.
Radnok (Alliance/Kilrogg)
Igasho/Pandirella (Horde/Madoran)

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » August 28th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Azrile wrote:In my 3 hours of research ( aka not much). the only thing that really stood out was, of course, that 2 of the final 4 legionaries are beasts. But only 2 of the other pets are beasts, and they seem pretty easy. I would have some common mechanical attacks to kill the beasts that are part of the teams, but save your good mechanical pets for the 2 legendary bests. There is also a really good opportunity to use wild jade(gold) hatchlings with lightning storm along with a turrets pet and stuff like that.
Ouch. That is kinda rough. There aren't a huge number of mechanical pets and they don't all have good spammable mechanical attacks so wanting 8 mechancial pets that are good against beast isn't exactly something your are going to have automatically.
The other pet that kept coming up were snails ( critters with aqua attacks). That is basically how I picked my 30 pets. Pets that have natural protection against the enemies main attack, but has an attack that is also strong against them. Also obviously pets that have a dodge to avoid predictable big hits, or a shield to absorb dots for certain enemies. For instance, the second pet from Shadmaster Krynn is basically a Call lightning + dot mechanical pet... in which case an elemental pet with a shield is perfect ( shale spiders).

The definitely did a good job of mixing it up. Which is why I am excited. so many different odd pets can be used, and will be better than just slamming all of them with the same few pets we use now.
We'll see how useful the snails end up being. Sure they look like the perfect counter for an elemental, take less dmg and deal extra dmg, but the long cd and higher chance to miss on dive means they aren't always the best option. Lately I really like the Crocolisks like snarly for that. Their combo really lets them eat elementals up pretty well. I'm sure that there will be multiple different ways to handle things tho.

Gingersnapp83
Top Rater
Pet Score:4773
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Gingersnapp83 » August 28th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Synergy6 wrote:Have updated my pet list in my original post.

Thanks
Hi Synergy,
Saw that nobody had answered this question yet and thought I would throw my two cents in.
I have a few magical pets that I really love and have found to be "gems" for the Pandaria pet dailies.

Oily Slimeling (I use this pet daily on the Pandaren Fire and Water Spirits)
Lesser Voidcaller (Prismatic Barrier is a very handy spell to have)
Enchanted Broom (especially when paired with one of the clockwork rocket bots)(sweep from the broom and minefield from the rocketbot)
Legs (an absolute must for flying pets and because he's pretty, lol)
Netherspace Abyssal ( a new treasure that I have recently leveled to 25)

Hope this helps a little.... Have a great one :D

Synergy6

Post by Synergy6 » August 28th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Gingersnapp83 wrote:
Synergy6 wrote:Have updated my pet list in my original post.

Thanks
Hi Synergy,
Saw that nobody had answered this question yet and thought I would throw my two cents in.
I have a few magical pets that I really love and have found to be "gems" for the Pandaria pet dailies.

Oily Slimeling (I use this pet daily on the Pandaren Fire and Water Spirits)
Lesser Voidcaller (Prismatic Barrier is a very handy spell to have)
Enchanted Broom (especially when paired with one of the clockwork rocket bots)(sweep from the broom and minefield from the rocketbot)
Legs (an absolute must for flying pets and because he's pretty, lol)
Netherspace Abyssal ( a new treasure that I have recently leveled to 25)

Hope this helps a little.... Have a great one :D
Levelled up a Wyrmling in the interim.
Just levelled up my Void Caller.
Definitely interested in the Abyssal :D Will look great with my Lock :mrgreen:

Thanks man

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » August 30th, 2013, 3:18 am

Azrile wrote:There is also a really good opportunity to use wild jade(gold) hatchlings with lightning storm along with a turrets pet and stuff like that.
Another option is the Sunreaver Micro-Sentry, as it's a mechanical with Call Lightning. The downside is that it doesn't have any spamable mechanical attack. The Tranquil Mechanical Yeti is probably the best pet for mechanical lightning generation, as it comes with Metal Fist, Call Lightning, and a choice of Ion Cannon or Supercharge. The yeti is initially uncommon, though, so you'll have to spend a stone on upgrading it.
Azrile wrote:For instance, the second pet from Shadmaster Krynn is basically a Call lightning + dot mechanical pet... in which case an elemental pet with a shield is perfect ( shale spiders).
Other options would be the Living Sandling, Ashstone Core, Jade Tentacle, and Lava Crab.

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » August 30th, 2013, 10:07 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:I'm probably prepared ;)
Nope, you aren't.