Need help

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Fransone
Pet Score:1537
Realm:Doomhammer-eu
Need help

Post by Fransone » August 25th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Hey there and thanks for reading.

I have recently started pet battles and need advice on a team. I believe that I must be doing something wrong since every pet battle is a struggle for me. Basically I am just using my three highest level pets. I just want to get to 25 on a good team and go on a capture spree.

Chuckthulu
Pet Score:4494
BattleTag®:Chuckthulu#1881
Realm:Velen-us

Re: Need help

Post by Chuckthulu » August 25th, 2013, 3:03 pm

I have a few questions to begin:
What pets are you using?
Are they rares(blue)? I say this because the rare quality pets really do stand up a little better to the rigors of battling.

Having said that, I will make a few suggestions.
For wild battles, it's usually good to have a pet with Mechanical attacks, one with Beast attacks, and then a "free safety" pet.
The fs pet is one that either has some healing, or multiple types of attacks, or any other really useful abilities.
These attacks will be helpful as you will be seeing a LOT of beasts and critters in the wild. Aquatics and flyers come next as far as frequency is concerned.

-I can recommend Clockwork Gnome as your mechanical, he is useful in most battles, and he was in my original lvling team. I never regretted lvling him first. You will get attached to him quickly lol

-As far as beast attacks go one of your Zandalari dinos would be fine,your Direhorn Runt, or I notice your Bat is lvl 13, he could fill the role, and have an extra flying attack for when you meet aquatic enemies. Really anything with at least one strong beast attack.

-Now, the third pet. I am quite fond of Nether Ray Fry, as all of his attacks are of different types, so he can be tailored for pretty much any zone/trainer.My fry was also in my first lvl team. Other options could be any of the healing crabs, they can tank for a bit, or one of the dragonkin that can heal.
Last pet to mention for this slot is Terrible Turnip. His Weakening Blow is super helpful when trying to capture pets. it prevents an unexpected crit from killing the pet your were trying to tame.

Fransone

Post by Fransone » August 25th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Chrominius (Blue) (Good against beasts), Spawn of Onyxia (Green) and lastly Nether Roach (Blue). These are my highest level pets and is the main reason why I use them. I am currently trying to capture a green aquatic pet outside shrine of two moons to get past the master pet tamer in outland.

Would Chrominius do for a pet against beasts instead of the bat or direhorn?

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » August 25th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Chrominius would rule against Critters. He'd be GOOD against Beasts, since he has a self heal provided the Beast you're about to Ravage doesn't Burrow or Lift-Off or something like that. As Chuck said, Turnips are great...and I absolutely LOVE the Nether Ray Fry. He'll be pretty much anything to the punch, can wreck quite a few types of opponent pets, and is really cheap on most AHs. My Fry, Murkablo and Wolpertinger were my first 3 lvl 25s.

Chuckthulu
Pet Score:4494
BattleTag®:Chuckthulu#1881
Realm:Velen-us

Post by Chuckthulu » August 25th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Chrominius is a fine choice for beast attacks actually. I must have skipped right past him when I was looking at your pet list. Sorry about that.
And I'll tell you, I use Snarly for the outlands tamer.(the one with the fel flame right?) That and a clockwork gnome two man it actually, so I can get a little bit of xp on other pets.

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » August 27th, 2013, 10:37 am

Wild pets are mostly Beast or Critter although you get the odd flying/aquatic.

Therefore my team was made to make light work of beasts and critters and the final spot being taken up to make light work of the aquatic pets (I found flying pets slightly less annoying). So for beasts you need a Mechanical pet, and as people have said Clockwork Gnome is balanced for a levelling style of play. For critters, you want a beast and again people have said you have Chrominus. Personally I find Chrominus a bit cumbersome to use, don't get me wrong he can hit like a train, but it's too much setting up that I can't be bothered with during the levelling. I used a Panther Cub, mainly due to his healing ability on kill. Lots of pets have a similar move though.

For the final slot, I'd go with either a Pterodax Hatchling or an Anubisath Idol. The Pterodax Hatchling will destroy aquatics, and with the heal make it viable against most other pets. It's also got extra defense against beasts, which are common. It also makes getting pets from 1-6 a breeze at 25. The Anubisath Idol is one of two pets which can duo the current (5.3) end game trainers and is available from level 1. The second one (Emerald Proto Whelp) isn't available until Northrend. I'd recommend making these two a priority as once they are 25, you can level 2-3 other pets from 1-25 each day with trainer dailies. The Anubisath Idol, as a humanoid has defense against critters, which is nice. It's strong against dragons which are not that common, but it's nice to have when you do run into them. It's level 10 ability "Demolish" is mechanical so it can take the place of a Clockwork Gnome against beasts. Sandstorm or Stoneskin both reduce each hit you take, albeit in different ways. Against small multiple hitters this effectivley makes you unhittable. At level 4 you get Deflection, which makes you totally immortal for one round. In PVE this is amazing as you can tell when an opponent will use it's devestating move and block it. If you can level both Anubisath Idol and the Pterodax Hatchling I would.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » August 27th, 2013, 10:54 am

Fransone wrote: I have recently started pet battles and need advice on a team. I believe that I must be doing something wrong since every pet battle is a struggle for me.
Not to worry! Battling is a struggle at the start because you're so limited in your team. I highly doubt you're doing something "wrong". Pay attention to family types and you'll get there. Like everyone said, you run into critters, beasts, flying, and aquatic the most in the wild. I say pick your three favorite blues that counter those types and focus on them. There are "better" pets than others, but you'll have the most fun with your favorites. Unless you're tackling tamers you really can exchange most pets for their equivalent. Don't stress, pick your favorites, and have fun! :D

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » August 28th, 2013, 4:47 am

Saasan wrote:Battling is a struggle at the start because you're so limited in your team.
Or because you're using inferior quality pets (possibly of the wrong families). When I first started playing with pet battles, my team consisted of an uncommon mechanical, a common critter and a common undead. Not unexpectedly, it went really poorly and I gave up around level 12 after being frustrated by how useless the two non-mechanical pets were. When I started playing with pet battles again six months later, my new team was a rare elemental, a rare robot and a rare dragon. Not unexpectedly, that team fared much better.

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » August 29th, 2013, 2:16 am

I think your problem may be, unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's you're confusing how attack types work. Beast type attacks aren't good against Beasts, they're actually strong vs Critters.
For strong attacks vs Beasts, you want Mechanical damage type attacks.

Looking at your stable now, I'm assuming you've already started following Cat666's advice, since I see you've got a lvl 20 emerald proto-whelp and an Anubis idol at lvl 10.
I'd make It your first priority to level those two to 25, plus an easy to get and under-rated pet the Water Waveling from Zul Drak and a Tolai Hare or Tolai Hare Pup from Kun-Lai. With these 4 you can mix n match them to beat all tamers, if you look at the 2nd sticky down on this forum there's a Beginners Guide which tells you how to beat almost every tamer using just the emerald proto-whelp and Anubis idol plus having another pet in to get the xp, the water waveling and hare you'll want for the one's that guide doesn't cover, there are better pets for the other tamers if you look in the veteran's guide, but those 2 plus your proto/idol can get you past the tamers and are easy to get plus already a decent level.

Fransone

Post by Fransone » August 29th, 2013, 2:29 am

I just want to thank everyone for the amazing advice I got. Using the advice here and some logic I managed to beat all the trainers up to Aki. I one shot most of them and are now ready to level a few more pets to 25 before I attempt the rest of the trainers (beasts etc.).

Sanzul

Post by Sanzul » August 29th, 2013, 6:43 pm

As a bit of bonus advice, pick up a moth and a water strider from the Vale. They're very useful for trainer battles (killing aquatics and elementals respectively), and it's pretty easy to get a high level rare of each as they're all over the place. Spend ten minutes each leveling them, and you've got two highly useful additions to your pet roster with minimal effort.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » September 1st, 2013, 1:16 pm

Fransone wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I am using Chrominius (Blue) (Good against beasts), Spawn of Onyxia (Green) and lastly Nether Roach (Blue). These are my highest level pets and is the main reason why I use them. I am currently trying to capture a green aquatic pet outside shrine of two moons to get past the master pet tamer in outland.
For the outland trainer, I used Spirit of Competition, Legs, and Clockwork Gnome. The gnome is my go to for many many fights, well worth leveling.

Since you don't have Legs, a Water Waveling is also a wonderful pet (I use him on Payne too). The Spirit of Competition can be substituted with a spawn of onyxia which might work better as it has more power.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » September 1st, 2013, 7:15 pm

Just got a chrominus and they do kick butt w/ critters...I need to level it. For leveling find you a blue quality moth they are excellent for assisting w/ leveling. That's what I used until I got my emerald whelping. Flyers are good battle pets overall.Get you a strong water pet. You can find a blue quality crab pretty easily. The quest in shatt that has you go fish for a crock in org or ally city gives you a chance to get a crock in your bag. There are 3 water pets ( all crocks) that has a chance to drop from that quest all blue quality so check w/ the fishing quest in shatt regularly....he just had that quest yesterday. Then get you a good mechanical. The darkmoon tonk is great, but I love the clockwork gnome just got one, but its not cheap. The mechanical yeti is pretty stong and more reasonably priced.Whatever you do be sure to hit the darkmoon faire( there are low level pets wild pets there you will want to collect too save your tickets and get the pets...and you can get more than one of each...pets are 90 tickets each w/ exception of flyers of course. Try to level blues first. You always have a chance of stones dropping as you level pets. As you go along you will find it might not be possible to capture a blue pet and that's ok too that's when you can use a stone to upgrade, but as a rule unless there's a pet I need stone badly for a purpose I try and stone pets that can't be caught in the wild first.

Sanzul

Post by Sanzul » September 2nd, 2013, 8:15 am

If you really want to kill critters, get a yeti. Kun-Lai Runt, Stunted Yeti and [pet]Lil' Bad Wolf[/pet] (who isn't a yeti, but close enough) are all excellent. Humanoid type with beast attacks means less damage taken and more damage done. LBW comes with Howl, which is especially great against the legendary critters.