Pet Team Help

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Firminus
Realm:Arthas-us
Pet Team Help

Post by Firminus » August 4th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Ok. Been gone since 5.1 so now that I am back I wish to pet battle again, but I can't help but feel my team could be better.
Current Team:
Level 18 Celestial Dragon
Level 18 Nightsaber Cub
Level 18 Landros lil XT

These are my highest levels. All Blue/Rare quality.

Open to suggestions =D

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Re: Pet Team Help

Post by Tiggindy » August 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Honestly, your team should be fine.

Beast, mechanical and another is the first team you want to get to 25, since most of what you'll found out in the world will be critters and beasts.

You can use your current team to kinda leapfrog your way to higher levels with a variety of families. Go to a zone with pets a level or two higher than you. You should be able to a) get nice XP for your team and b) capture a rare that will end up being about the same level as your current pets. This way you can have a pet of each family at 25 quicker, and then expand your collection (and number of 25's) to optimize your teams later.

Once you get pets to 25, you can powerlevel other pets that you'll want for the tamer fights, since those are where the big XP are. Power leveling is just using 2 25's and a leveler, with the leveler getting all the XP. In order to get XP, the leveling pet has to participate, but one round is sufficient. Alternately, the other two pets need to be dead. The first way is easier IMO.

Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us

Post by Violetfemme » August 5th, 2013, 7:18 am

What I found when PvP'ing with lower level teams is that I was almost always matched to a team with one or two pets that were one or two levels higher than me. This made it impossible to win (unless lucky with RNG or team composition). Once I hit 25 with my first PvP team, I started winning more because the levels were more even. It's also a little better once you hit 20 and the last move option becomes available. It is often a move that I end up using a lot (Like Tympanic Tantrum).

I think the team you have is a fine combination. You might also need to become familiar with moves from a lot of the other pets, so you can attempt to counter them. One thing that I don't like about the Celestial Dragon is that it doesn't have enough high power moves without a cool down. It can work if you basically moon fire, flamethrower, heal (or not if you don't need), then change pets to one of the other 2. Both of those are nice strong pets.

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » August 5th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Violetfemme wrote:What I found when PvP'ing with lower level teams is that I was almost always matched to a team with one or two pets that were one or two levels higher than me. This made it impossible to win (unless lucky with RNG or team composition). Once I hit 25 with my first PvP team, I started winning more because the levels were more even. It's also a little better once you hit 20 and the last move option becomes available. It is often a move that I end up using a lot (Like Tympanic Tantrum).

I think the team you have is a fine combination. You might also need to become familiar with moves from a lot of the other pets, so you can attempt to counter them. One thing that I don't like about the Celestial Dragon is that it doesn't have enough high power moves without a cool down. It can work if you basically moon fire, flamethrower, heal (or not if you don't need), then change pets to one of the other 2. Both of those are nice strong pets.
I really wish they would revert the Flamethrower change and give us back Breath.

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » August 7th, 2013, 5:19 am

you should be just fine with your team. one thing that comes to my mind, is a feline familiar instead of the cub. as 1,1,1, it is marvellous aganist all kinds of nasty dot and multi-hit attacks, has a big self heal, and hits hard against both flyers and critters. the only weaknesses are undead (no heal) and mechanicals. a x,2,2 spec is also fun, for onehitting (well, technically, it's two-hitting) stuff.

on another note, you might want to look into an emerald proto whelp instead of your celestial dragon. they should be in your level range so no loss here, however farming a P/P one is tedious so you might not find a rare. or, a P/P yellow moth, but this would require stoning and levelling.

dammit there are so many good pets out there, it's kind of hard to give good advice for the first set of levelling. :)

Firminus
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Firminus » August 22nd, 2013, 8:29 pm

Ril wrote:you should be just fine with your team. one thing that comes to my mind, is a feline familiar instead of the cub. as 1,1,1, it is marvellous aganist all kinds of nasty dot and multi-hit attacks, has a big self heal, and hits hard against both flyers and critters. the only weaknesses are undead (no heal) and mechanicals. a x,2,2 spec is also fun, for onehitting (well, technically, it's two-hitting) stuff.

on another note, you might want to look into an emerald proto whelp instead of your celestial dragon. they should be in your level range so no loss here, however farming a P/P one is tedious so you might not find a rare. or, a P/P yellow moth, but this would require stoning and levelling.

dammit there are so many good pets out there, it's kind of hard to give good advice for the first set of levelling. :)
What feline pet would you recommend? Also what is P/P? Also I hear I alot of good things from Panda Monk pet.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » August 22nd, 2013, 10:10 pm

Firminus wrote:What feline pet would you recommend? Also what is P/P? Also I hear I alot of good things from Panda Monk pet.
See this guide for a breed (P/P, S/S, etc) explanation.

The Feline Familiar is the name of the cat, not just any old feline ;)