pvp randomness

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us
pvp randomness

Post by Se5s » August 12th, 2013, 10:58 pm

i use the minefield/gate combo with a direhorn back up...yet i lose constantly in pvp battles. i want to say i'm doing something wrong, but given 3 pets with only 3 abilities, it's not easy to make the wrong choice. is it really so random that i get crit 3-5 times a battle, while i miss seemingly every other attack?

Soulerous
Pet Score:2260
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Re: pvp randomness

Post by Soulerous » August 13th, 2013, 4:11 am

If you're missing that much it's because you're using abilities with a low chance to hit. I'd hazard a guess that you're not, and that your last sentence is slightly exaggerated. Don't worry, we've all been discouraged.

Personally, I think I see the problem in your first sentence. The minefield/gate combo, I'm assuming where you lay the mines with a mechanical pet, switch to an imp, and force a switch-in with Nether Gate, is an interesting one. Consider that as you take a turn to lay mines the enemy pet might have done anywhere from 200-500 damage. Then you switch; that's another 300 or so damage your opponent has a chance to do, and you've still done none. Then you use Nether Gate, most likely being faster than the enemy pet. It deals some damage, then the entering pet takes some damage from the mines. You are now almost caught up. But you're actually behind.

Granted, I don't know what you actually do in what order, but that payoff seems much too small. Mines are supposed to be a supplemental move, but they don't do so much damage that it's worth using several turns to ensure they get blown immediately. Meanwhile your opponent is using their own special strategy. They may be using Curse of Doom then switching in a pet with Swarm to one-shot your frontliner, or they may be using the ever-popular damage-over-time-and-force-swap tactic.

Basically, I think you should get a different setup. But if you have additional information that would warrant a reevaluation, I'd love to hear it.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: pvp randomness

Post by Tekulve2012 » August 13th, 2013, 7:24 am

I've had solid pvp success with a minefield/swap team made up of :
s/s fiendish imp / giant bone spider and a p/p warbot
--------------
The previous post noted the weakness of getting hammered while laying down the minefield which is why you base your 1st play on your opponents team makeup. The warbot's speed is 260 and though it's slow, it has a 'shield' to min.the damage it takes so you can leave it in a couple of turns and hammer with missiles(nice dmg output)

The giant bone spider is very durable and bashes humanoids (lots of runts, anub and imps in pvp still) and the s/s imp is fast and heals himself so 90% of the time he's a good 1st play with gate and immol.

With so many slow undead and dragons out there, the warbot's 260 speed is really ok ... and when a direhorn is swapped into the minefield and the imp is your pet... bye bye direhorn
----------
There are a number of team variations to use(broom instead of imp-this way you can virtually pick the pet that gets swapped in) and the DM Tonk or CWRocket bots for minefield-gives different attack variety -the tonk's ion cannon is a nice finisher