Pet Battle leveling for alts over nerfed?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ranophan
Top Rater
Pet Score:7722
Realm:Galakrond-us
Pet Battle leveling for alts over nerfed?

Post by Ranophan » August 2nd, 2013, 3:07 am

I have not pet battled on an alt in months and am curious if i am just "doing it wrong" or did they really just nerfed leveling experience into the ground? One pet battle at lvl 9 using pets a few levels lower than the wild pet being battled in Darkshore/Azuremyst/Bloodmyst is netting only 89 exp rested (even in full heirloom). I can get 200+ experience just killing one mob instead. I realize the experience was way too good early in the whole pet battle experiment but this seems a bit pathetic.

Any advice/suggestions/tricks? :cry:

*Edit* well after a little more research I see they just nerfed it a few days ago (?). Judging by the posts I'm reading it was giving WAY too much experience still (60-70 in an hour?) but seems they may have over done the nerf especially at low levels. I wish they'd just balance it better to be a viable alternative to questing or dungeon crawling.
Last edited by Ranophan on August 2nd, 2013, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruststorm
Top Rater
Pet Score:5021
Realm:Nagrand-eu

Re: Pet Battle leveling for alts over nerfed?

Post by Ruststorm » August 2nd, 2013, 3:38 am

I've been leveling my priest from 85 to 90 only... all i can say is that the experience i get is based on the quest exp i could've gotten when questing... aka around 150k per battle... never tried low levels :)

Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us

Post by Violetfemme » August 2nd, 2013, 5:46 am

I have a level 54 who I use to level my level 1 pets to level 4 and with heirlooms, think I was getting about 300-400 (sometimes even 500) xp per single wild pet battle (which I think is lower than questing xp at that level). I haven't checked in the last week, so they may have nerfed it with one of the last maintenance days. Like Ruststorm, I still get xp almost equivalent to 1 quest per battle on my almost 90s.

Ranophan
Top Rater
Pet Score:7722
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Ranophan » August 2nd, 2013, 6:05 am

Moved out to Howling Fjord and am fighting the turkeys at Valgarde for about 900 rested exp per battle at lvl 11 with heirlooms. Can keep them spawning by killing non-battle pet critters. So the level of the battle pet will make a difference but I really believe it should scale based on the level of the zone you "should" be at for your level. A lvl 11 doesn't belong in Northrend but it's the only way to get decent pet battle exp now it seems. Even at 900'ish a battle it really isn't much compared to questing/killing in a proper leveling zone considering the fights take longer.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » August 2nd, 2013, 7:44 am

I have a level 88 in valley4winds who uses two lvl 25 pets and a low level pet against wild critters there ( mostly 24 and 25). I have found that I get slightly more than 1% of a level per fight. This seems very acceptable and maybe a little fast since the critters spawn really fast and battles are very fast because of using beast-devour

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » August 2nd, 2013, 10:08 am

The xp you get for pet battles is based on a number of factors... among which are the level of the pets you are fighting as well as the level of the pets on your own team. Try taking a team of 25s and fighting in Pandaren (or at least Northrend/Cataclism) zones. I get close to what I would get for a quest for each pet battle.

When I fight the tamers, I "double dip" on the xp. I have a team set up for each tamer that gives a bag and one for each of the other tamers starting with Outland, with the team for the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms tamers getting changed every time a member of the team reaches 25 (as they can't be over 24 if I want to get character xp). I did try for (and get) pet battle xp for fighting some of the lower level tamers a few times and it just wasn't worth it, so I don't even bother trying for it anymore.

To sum it up: I would not bother fighting any wild pets under level 20 if I want pet battle xp for a character... this means Northrend or higher.

Rakrath
Pet Score:8562
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rakrath » August 4th, 2013, 11:03 am

Hi@ll,

when u have 2 accounts(like i have) u can carry your twink withe a two seat mount

doing the 11 panda tamers result ~25% xp of a level (the battle itself and the quest gives xp) so every 4 days +1 level. As u do the dailies nevertheless(for bags and pet leveling) additionally u can level your twinks ;)

Rakrath

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » August 6th, 2013, 6:31 pm

I do pretty well all my battling (for leveling both pets and toons) right outside the shrine. Brilliant Kaliri and a Crow (or Raven) just tears apart the aquatic in no time there, and if you're alone, or even one other person, you're not normally waiting on spawns.

I find it a very effective way to level toons. I just sit back and watch tv and chew through pet battles. I've got more friggen Flawless Aquatic stones... >.<

Pinrut
Pet Score:13856
Realm:Nagrand-us

Post by Pinrut » August 9th, 2013, 6:51 am

A tip for levelling alts: I do my legendary pet dailies, then log over to my alt to hand them in. They can also safely get from the Shrine in the Vale to Aki pretty easily to do her daily as well.
Alternatively, if you can get them to the fields near Halfhill (near Lucky Yi), you have a reasonable space that you can move around with aggroing everything, so you can do Trainer Nishi and the Lucky Yi part of your daily on a toon that needs levelling. There are also TONS of critter mobs (and a few aquatic) that you can farm for stones.