what pet would be wise to use flawless battlestones on?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Viaappia
Pet Score:2107
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
what pet would be wise to use flawless battlestones on?

Post by Viaappia » August 1st, 2013, 6:39 pm

Hi collectors :)
Im still quite new to all this pet battle, I have had a break from wow since pandarian came out, but got to miss playing a tad too much ;)
And this pókemon-thing had really caught me :)

Well to the question..
I have gained a flawless magic battlestone, and as I can read its not the most common to drop, so now I am a bit in doubt about what to use it on?
Would you use it on one of the common/uncommon tradeables or quest(Mana wurmling, magic lamp ect. or from quest as Willy), as they are not found ind rare, or would you use it on a better breed of a caught but not rare pet?

I have an Arcane Eye and a Nordrassil wisp, but even though I have looked for them thorougly I havent foud a rare yet..

Thank you for reading this, I hope you get my point, English is not my main language, but I hope it's understandable anyway ;)

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Re: what pet would be wise to use flawless battlestones on?

Post by Cdeveau » August 1st, 2013, 6:47 pm

Welcome to pet battles and the forum.

To answer your question, don't use a flawless battle stone on any wild caught creatures save for the ultra rare spawns (Minfernal since you have a Magic stone, Unborn Valkyr if you had an Undead stone). So, once you've eliminated the wild pet battle pets it's time to focus on the vendor or profession created pets as those tend to be Uncommon (green) pets. These are the ones to focus on using your stones one. I used my first Magic stone on my Jade Owl as an example.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » August 1st, 2013, 8:40 pm

I agree, the owl is a good battler. I would upgrade the minfernal first though. Then you never have to go back!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » August 1st, 2013, 11:24 pm

Magic stone is a no-brainer..
You'll spend ages farming Minfernal, and when you find it, it'll most likely be grey..

All other Magic pets, are resonably easy to farm, and thus, you can also farm blues..

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » August 2nd, 2013, 2:40 am

Something to note, if you are going to end up farming Flawless type battle stones, you are going to need a lot more critter, beast and flying than the rest, so if there is something in those you would like upgraded, that could be a good idea.

But i agree with the aboves that Minfernal is a good target for it, since its hard to find just a normal one, I guess the same goes for Unborn Val'kyr. Other than those two, i dont think there is any other of the wild battle pets i would use the stone on, unless its something you badly want to level up for whatever reason.

Also just selling it on the ah is a fine choice, you will probaly be able to buy it back for the same price or even cheaper if you are going to end up needing one later.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » August 2nd, 2013, 5:52 am

As far as wild pets there are only a few that are worth a stone, the Minfernal, Scrouged Whelpling, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Sumprash Rodent and Unborn Val'kyr. Pretty much every other wild pet is fairly easy to farm a rare version of. Other than those I would save the stones for pets that only come in Uncommon quality.

Here is a list of all the [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978]Uncommon Only[/url] pets in game. Good luck and enjoy WoWkemon. :)
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » August 2nd, 2013, 4:17 pm

Dragonwizard wrote:As far as wild pets there are only a few that are worth a stone, the Minfernal, Scrouged Whelpling, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Sumprash Rodent and Unborn Val'kyr. Pretty much every other wild pet is fairly easy to farm a rare version of. Other than those I would save the stones for pets that only come in Uncommon quality.

Here is a list of all the Uncommon Only pets in game. Good luck and enjoy WoWkemon. :)
Wanderer spawns twice per week, in great numbers.. Not that hard to get a rare, if you want it..
Sumprash.... 4-6 hours of grinding 2000 tokens is indeed a pain, but MANY spawn, when you place the box (which can also be bought in AH if you are lucky), makes it easy to find a rare, in the 20 minures time frame you have..

The rest, I agree on.. Maybe add Spawn of Onyxia to the list. I have seen ONE white, else only greys.. Beginning to believe that green/blue doesn't exist.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » August 2nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

FuxieDK wrote:
Dragonwizard wrote:As far as wild pets there are only a few that are worth a stone, the Minfernal, Scrouged Whelpling, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Sumprash Rodent and Unborn Val'kyr. Pretty much every other wild pet is fairly easy to farm a rare version of. Other than those I would save the stones for pets that only come in Uncommon quality.

Here is a list of all the Uncommon Only pets in game. Good luck and enjoy WoWkemon. :)
Wanderer spawns twice per week, in great numbers.. Not that hard to get a rare, if you want it..
Sumprash.... 4-6 hours of grinding 2000 tokens is indeed a pain, but MANY spawn, when you place the box (which can also be bought in AH if you are lucky), makes it easy to find a rare, in the 20 minures time frame you have..

The rest, I agree on.. Maybe add Spawn of Onyxia to the list. I have seen ONE white, else only greys.. Beginning to believe that green/blue doesn't exist.
Either you consider 3 or 4 at a time to be "great numbers" or they changed the spawn rate on the [pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet]. I counted myself lucky to get a poor one, and it was the beneficiary of my first aquatic stone.

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Post by Cdeveau » August 2nd, 2013, 6:48 pm

I can vouch that spawn of onxyia comes in rare quality. Took me a couple of months to nab mine though.

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » August 2nd, 2013, 11:24 pm

Maizing wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:

Either you consider 3 or 4 at a time to be "great numbers" or they changed the spawn rate on the [pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet]. I counted myself lucky to get a poor one, and it was the beneficiary of my first aquatic stone.
I thought I was the only one who had that thought about the Wanderer. lol

Especially on a full realm, like Kil'Jaeden, it's very difficult to obtain one of them, as there are many people camping the area waiting for them to spawn

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » August 3rd, 2013, 2:15 am

I would add some of the wild pets that are weather dependent, such as the Baby Ape. I do not want to use hours of my playing time waiting for rain. I tried that several times, got the ape, but no rare spawns. Eventually, I gave up and stoned him. I have heard similar stories from people looking for the fox who only spawns in snow . Essentially, your stone choice may depend upon how much time you can invest in camping for rare versions of some of the wild pets. That being said, I do agree with the prior posts that suggest the Minifernal or the Unborn Val'kyr as the best wild pet choices for a stone.

Drrum
MVP
Pet Score:4507
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Drrum » August 3rd, 2013, 11:27 am

I've managed to upgrade all 563 of my battle pets to rares, so I finally feel qualified to comment on this.

Never waste stones on wild-caught pets unless they're excruciatingly infrequent spawns or you've found the perfect breed. Remember, you can always farm for tamable rares. Save stones for pets you can never farm.

Use your type-specific stones on pets in the order that you plan to level and battle first.

Always use your Flawless Battle-Stones (generic type) on a more plentiful pet type such as a flyer, critter, or beast. As your upgrade list progresses, you'll find you have an uneven ratio of type-specific stones to pet types.

Use your type-specific stones as you receive them. Save them only when you don't have that type to upgrade. While they're account-bound and stack, they're not tradable. You can use them to buy/sell/trade upgrades, but that can be a risk and hassle. I you're holding out for the perfect future pet, save or buy a generic Flawless Battle-Stone for that.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » August 3rd, 2013, 12:37 pm

Maizing wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:

Here is a list of all the [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978]Uncommon Only[/url] pets in game. Good luck and enjoy WoWkemon. :)

I my Wanderer ~3 weeks ago... No less than 7 spawned at 21:00 and the same amount at 23:00.. That I'd call "great numbers"..

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » August 3rd, 2013, 1:19 pm

It's not too bad, an hour or so a day. I have all my 646 pets rare and over 400 at level 25. I'm married so the getting laid is out :D

Cyntaria
Pet Score:13726
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Cyntaria » August 3rd, 2013, 3:33 pm

Drrum wrote:I've managed to upgrade all 563 of my battle pets to rares, so I finally feel qualified to comment on this.

Never waste stones on wild-caught pets unless they're excruciatingly infrequent spawns or you've found the perfect breed. Remember, you can always farm for tamable rares. Save stones for pets you can never farm.

Use your type-specific stones on pets in the order that you plan to level and battle first.

Always use your Flawless Battle-Stones (generic type) on a more plentiful pet type such as a flyer, critter, or beast. As your upgrade list progresses, you'll find you have an uneven ratio of type-specific stones to pet types.

Use your type-specific stones as you receive them. Save them only when you don't have that type to upgrade. While they're account-bound and stack, they're not tradable. You can use them to buy/sell/trade upgrades, but that can be a risk and hassle. I you're holding out for the perfect future pet, save or buy a generic Flawless Battle-Stone for that.

This is what I do. I save any stones I collect and use them as I decide to level pets. But, I never use them on a wild pet unless it's an extremely rare pet like Minifernal. I've first used them on the pets you purchase from the Blizzard Store, Rep and vendor pets that cannot be caught as rares. I'm still leveling pets and have about 15 various stones in my bank and using them on the next in line to level and I'm out in the world upgrading those that I may be able to catch.

Rosalyne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5903
BattleTag®:Rosalyne#1595
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Rosalyne » August 3rd, 2013, 7:09 pm

And back on topic, very good advice Drrum! That's basically what I've been doing (432 rares here so far), except I have used stones on a few that I want to battle with and am just too lazy to farm rares. :lol:

I have 2 non-specific Flawless stones in the bank, just in case something hard to find like the Val'kyr is added in the future. Then I can just grab whatever rarity I find and upgrade if needed.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » August 4th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Drrum wrote:Save stones for pets you can never farm.
While this is true, I'd add one more important criteria to what to pick when choosing what pet to upgrade:
Upgrade uncageable unfarmable greens before you upgrade cageable ones.

Use your type-specific stones as you receive them.
Pretty much this.

Though it's not that there's an uneven ratio of stones, it's that there's an uneven ratio of pets. ;) The stone drop ratio is actually pretty much even, which is the problem.

Why?

Because there's 565 total pets possible in the US. Ignoring how many of them already come as rare quality, there's over 100 Beasts, over 100 critters and around 100 flying pets, that leaves 40% of pets spread over the remaining 7 families.

Which means you're going to get spare stones of some families a LOT sooner than others. In 5.4 we'll be able to trade 3 for 1 specific for a general use, which will alleviate part of the problem, but it doesn't change the fact that you'll need a lot more beast, critter, and flying than you will other stone types in the first place. Blizzard should have weighted stone drops by family numbers.
While they're account-bound and stack, they're not tradable. You can use them to buy/sell/trade upgrades, but that can be a risk and hassle.
I don't think it's a risk if you do it through the trade forum here.

Or if you do it with someone who's relatively well known. For instance, I was selling Stoning as a Service earlier and no one batted an eye. I got rid of 39 stones for what was probably too reasonable a price, but made my buyers happy. :D
(and it's not like I needed the stones. ;) )

In any case, since you may be able to trade or buy the use of specific type stones from others, and since it only works on tradeable pets, that's why I recommend that you upgrade the cageable pets last.

This is how I was able to finish out my own pets relatively quickly, through trades and purchase.

Viaappia
Pet Score:2107
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Viaappia » August 7th, 2013, 10:37 am

Thanks for all the replies, they have all been very helpfull :)