Wild pets viable in battle?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu
Wild pets viable in battle?

Post by Casca » September 25th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Hi,

I tried the pet battles a little today, mostly with caught rare pets around level 8-9. When I faced pets that had to be leveled from scratch since they can't be obtained in the wild, I usually got taken apart. Their abilities seem much stronger somehow.
Is this just my impression? Or should I level my own pets in order to stand a chance in pvp battles?

Bindibear
Top Rater

Re: Wild pets viable in battle?

Post by Bindibear » September 25th, 2012, 4:57 pm

The caught pets come in different rarities. Were they poor, common, uncommon or rare? You want a rare for sure. They have little colored lines around their portraits in the pet journal, green for uncommon and blue for rare and they'll say the rarity under the stats if you click on them.

Casca
Top Rater

Post by Casca » September 26th, 2012, 9:06 am

As I wrote, I battled with rare pets that I caught.
I don't mind leveling them, but I want to make sure that I focus on the right pets.
If pets that can't be caught in the wild, like Murky for example, have better abilities I should focus on those. ;)
But as I said, maybe it's just my impression.

Uraa
Pet Score:11531
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uraa » September 27th, 2012, 3:34 am

I'm running a team right now that is nothing but wild-caught pets (currently Ruby Sapling, Black Lamb, Ravager Hatchling; all rare), and I find that they can lay the smackdown harder than many of my non-capture pets. Even among rares, the stat distribution is different, so some may hit harder, or have more health, or move faster than others of the same species and level.

Casca
Top Rater

Post by Casca » September 27th, 2012, 3:45 am

Ok, I guess its just my impression then. I made a team only made up of non-wild pets and had more success.
But on the other hand I haven't gotten much further than level 10 yet.
One thing thats bothering me though is how random pvp battles are matched. I constantly get uneven groups, for example yesterday I played with three level 5 pets and was matched against a team of level 9, 5 and 1. Needless to say the level 9 smashed all of my pets. I hope they can improve on that.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » September 27th, 2012, 8:23 am

I was originally leveling a team of all preowned pets, but I managed to take down and capture a level 14 uncommon Restless Shadeling with my three level 11's, so that has been my back up in the second slot. I haven't picked a must have for the other places, I just know the Restless Shadeling has a nice self-heal on attack.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Casca
Top Rater

Post by Casca » September 27th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I'm just worried that there will be some nerfs soon. The Mechagnome's turrets for example seem a little overpowered.

Gynx
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Gynx » September 27th, 2012, 1:48 pm

One thing I noticed yesterday was that even rare quality pets have different stats. I caught a pair of rare rats, both level 4, and one of them had higher stats than the other in all 3 categories. Just something to watch out for.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » September 30th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Gynx wrote:One thing I noticed yesterday was that even rare quality pets have different stats. I caught a pair of rare rats, both level 4, and one of them had higher stats than the other in all 3 categories. Just something to watch out for.
Right. The rarity of the pet determines its "stat pool" of points that get allocated. How that pool is allocated amongst the three different stats is random. I've seen very high HP but very low speed/attack and visa-versa. So do compare same level/rarity pets and decide which is best for you.

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » September 30th, 2012, 7:34 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:Right. The rarity of the pet determines its "stat pool" of points that get allocated. How that pool is allocated amongst the three different stats is random. I've seen very high HP but very low speed/attack and visa-versa. So do compare same level/rarity pets and decide which is best for you.
Stat allocation is not truly random. There's variations for each pet, but those are predefined. These predefined variations are the only ones you will encounter.

For example, if hunting level 10 Rare-quality Rabbits you may encounter some with higher health, some with higher power, some with higher speed, and some with an even distribution. That being said, all those you encounter with higher health will boast identical stats. The same will hold true for the other three variations: those with higher power will be identical, those with higher speed will be identical, and those with an even distribution will be identical.