PvP and the worst players you've seen.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Simmias
Pet Score:4458
Realm:Frostmourne-us
PvP and the worst players you've seen.

Post by Simmias » July 26th, 2013, 3:16 am

Had a few Blind teams using Noc Strike before Darkness :lol:
Players switching a beast pet into mines when they have pets availiable that wouldn't take so much damage :shock:

Has anyone else had any hilarious matches where you thought you were going to get trounced and then they go muck up an easy win?

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Re: PvP and the worst players you've seen.

Post by Slab » July 26th, 2013, 7:53 am

I always find it amusing when I intentionally cast a swap spell on an Undead for the one turn it is supposed to come back, and they spend the next turn bringing it up front again. It seems like most everyone has to learn the lesson of that timing at least once.

I shrug whenever I see a team that still has Uncommon pets in it. I believe I saw a Common (or even Poor) pet at least once or twice.

Yellowlab
Top Rater
Pet Score:5566
BattleTag®:Yellowlab#1493
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Yellowlab » July 26th, 2013, 9:55 am

My team uses a Nordrassil Wisp and I can't tell you how many times I have gone against a darkness team where I used Blind on their pet during darkness, and they swap in another pet to avoid the double attack, not realizing that it's going to hit anyways due to their darkness weather :)

Rhonstifor
Pet Score:7037
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Rhonstifor » July 26th, 2013, 10:00 am

Slab wrote:I always find it amusing when I intentionally cast a swap spell on an Undead for the one turn it is supposed to come back, and they spend the next turn bringing it up front again. It seems like most everyone has to learn the lesson of that timing at least once.

I shrug whenever I see a team that still has Uncommon pets in it. I believe I saw a Common (or even Poor) pet at least once or twice.
That can be the right thing to do for a couple of reasons. If you swapped in the pet they didn't want in, they can move the doomed undead back in, and when it dies, get the pet they want in without losing a turn. Also, bringing the doomed undead pet in may make you use an ability on the doomed pet that they didnt want used on one of their remaining pets. Actually, another reason would be if you swap in a pet that you don't want your swapper facing, the you switch pets, by bringing in the undead, they see that move, and it is wasted, and then you don't know which pet remaining they will bring in.

Fubar
MVP
Pet Score:2493
BattleTag®:Fubar#2138
Realm:Sylvanas-eu

Post by Fubar » July 26th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Rhonstifor wrote:
Slab wrote:I always find it amusing when I intentionally cast a swap spell on an Undead for the one turn it is supposed to come back, and they spend the next turn bringing it up front again. It seems like most everyone has to learn the lesson of that timing at least once.

That can be the right thing to do for a couple of reasons. If you swapped in the pet they didn't want in, they can move the doomed undead back in, and when it dies, get the pet they want in without losing a turn. Also, bringing the doomed undead pet in may make you use an ability on the doomed pet that they didnt want used on one of their remaining pets. Actually, another reason would be if you swap in a pet that you don't want your swapper facing, the you switch pets, by bringing in the undead, they see that move, and it is wasted, and then you don't know which pet remaining they will bring in.
Rhonstifor delivers. This reply was golden.
[profile]Fubar[/profile] the Insane. Battle Tag is Fubar#2138.
Resto Druid for the Horde on Sylvanas (EU)

ImageImage

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » July 26th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Fubar wrote:
Rhonstifor wrote:

Rhonstifor delivers. This reply was golden.
QFT.

One other purpose for switching back in your doomed undead is to shrink a cd on one of your living pets, or a weather effect that is undesirable. It just buys you a round to let scorched earth tick on them and not you, or you get one round closer to losing the lightning or sand storm, or hitting your conflag, darkness, or other long cd ability. I've even switched a dead undead back in to soak a geyser. It was nifty :P

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 26th, 2013, 8:41 pm

A lot of the cookie-cutter teams are played very badly, especially swap teams. Pets like Bone spider with dots.. where the player uses the swap before dotting for no real reason. I think a lot of players think the ´swap´ is the OP part of the equation.

I also see a lot of ´speed´ mistakes. I think players are so used to playing against speed pets, that they don´t look at what you have. I´ve had players use a weak attack that adds speed to them, even though they are already faster than all my pets.

But mainly it is Fiends and Bone Spiders that are played poorly.

Aerozia
Pet Score:8990
BattleTag®:Aerozia#1505
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Aerozia » July 27th, 2013, 1:53 am

there was a match, where i managed to foil the guys plan, i dont remember what it was, so he just let all the turns pass, i had the wrong pets in my slot so i would have lost, but hey, i waited it out.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » July 27th, 2013, 4:50 am

I'm definately not an expert when it comes to pvp but I do have to facepalm when someone brings out their dragonkin to face my humanoid (when they have at least two pets alive at least).

That said, I've probably made so many rookie mistakes when battling that I'm sure other teams have gotten plenty of laughs over me. :lol:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » July 28th, 2013, 6:37 am

Fought a team recently that had only 2 pets! Now that was an easy win.
Also fought a team that contained 2 low (gray) quality pets...

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 28th, 2013, 1:15 pm

My most common mistake is forgetting to click on my PVP team first before queueing for battle while traveling between dailies. Nothing like popping into battle with a team that's only set up to beat some specific trainer!

I've seen a few players with green quality pets and once even a grey, but some of them have managed to play them pretty well even with the handicap, so I don't just assume it'll be a win just because someone has a non rare quality pet.

ITA on switching in an undead on the turn it dies after a forced swap. I do it just to have it eat an opponent's attack and use up a turn.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » July 29th, 2013, 7:22 am

OK fine, let me quantify ...

" they spend the next turn bringing it up front again WITH OBVIOUSLY NO STRATEGIC THOUGHT OR ADVANTAGE."

Didn't realize I was message board'ing with a bunch of lawyers. :lol:

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » July 29th, 2013, 9:50 am

The worst players I've seen are the ones that feel they must "punish" you by going AFK after they've seen your team or you are beating them. I just shrug and go read forums here when that happens. At least 5.4 will hopefully put an end to this practice.

Fubar
MVP

Post by Fubar » July 29th, 2013, 10:41 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:The worst players I've seen are the ones that feel they must "punish" you by going AFK after they've seen your team or you are beating them. I just shrug and go read forums here when that happens. At least 5.4 will hopefully put an end to this practice.
Tell me more? How will 5.4 see an end to this practice?

ImageImage

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 29th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Fubar wrote:
GilroyKilroy wrote:The worst players I've seen are the ones that feel they must "punish" you by going AFK after they've seen your team or you are beating them. I just shrug and go read forums here when that happens. At least 5.4 will hopefully put an end to this practice.
Tell me more? How will 5.4 see an end to this practice?
They're putting in a time penalty for every turn a player lets the timer run excessively.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1310716-New-feature-for-PvP-pet-battle-system-in-Patch-5-4

That said, I don't care if my opponent wants to waste my time. I can waste theirs too. I'm almost always doing something else on the side so I'm not really losing anything.

Fubar
MVP

Post by Fubar » July 29th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Peanutty wrote:That said, I don't care if my opponent wants to waste my time. I can waste theirs too. I'm almost always doing something else on the side so I'm not really losing anything.
[url=http://youtu.be/iDPwBN_IKxs]I like the cut of your jib![/url]

ImageImage

Slick
Pet Score:1771
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Slick » July 30th, 2013, 6:13 am

I will admit if I see someone using at least 2 direhorns and I'm not using a mechanical I'll afk him. Especially when they name said dinosaurs "Sorry" and "OP". They're looking for fast easy wins so I make it as long as possible :P

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » July 30th, 2013, 9:49 am

After 1k+ wins I have sure made some stupid moves from time to time.
Switched in a weak pet, not switched a pet, clicked attack instead of dodge and so on.

Recently i had two fun things happen.
Anub cast sandstorm, I switched to a blighthawk, opponent switched anub to a bone spider and started to dot me up... Wth?

Another opponent used turnip, but with weakening blow, with the intention of finishing me off with dot or sons. Too bad for him his attacks was not much use against my snail shell. Best he could ever hope for was to get me to 1 to try and capture me.

Mentalgiant
Top Rater
Pet Score:2130
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Mentalgiant » July 30th, 2013, 11:19 am

The funniest thing I have seen was my fiancé using 1 Frog against 3 Skulls. The opponent kept switching his pets around(same level, same pet), like it was going to matter. Any damage she took, she just healed right up. Then after about 5 switches, the opponent finally forfeited. :lol: