Incredibly frustrated!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Athonx
Pet Score:2175
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Incredibly frustrated!

Post by Athonx » July 20th, 2013, 10:12 pm

My team is 25 but im lose almost every match i go into. My pets are getting hit for upwards of 5-600 hp. What am i missing? >.< :evil:

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: Incredibly frustrated!

Post by Worgenbait » July 21st, 2013, 12:12 am

First off, I'm assuming this is PvP, right? Your pets are Phoenix Hatchling, Gryphon Hatchling and Lofty Libram, not the greatest pets to throw at PvPers as other than the Lofty's couple of attacks against the standard humanoid on most teams, your team is not really built for PvP at the moment and not especailly strong against any particular pet trainers in Pandaria.

Also, besides the undead attacks your Libram has, your pets don't have strong attacks against the standard or even common PvP targets. I have NEVER seen an opponent use an aquatic pet, which hurts your Gryphon's abilities, and flying opponents are rare, reducing your libram's effectiveness outside of the undead attacks on humanoids. Your elemental is good against mechanicals, but doesn't do enough damage outside of that.

If you want to boost your PvP team, I'd level that Ragnaros you have there, the Lil' XT, and maybe the Lil' KT as well. That would give you a fairly well-rounded team to work with along with what you have. Also, if you can get it, can't recommend the Anubisath Idol enough. Even if not for PvP, that pet can solo a number of trainers to boost you lower-level pets.

Nilla151
Pet Score:574
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Nilla151 » July 21st, 2013, 1:36 am

to start you're using some weak monsters for PVP for sure

gryphon hatchling
phoenix hatchling
and lofty libram

they don't really cover each other well, an their moves don't really counter humans and mechanicals which a lot of teams have

i see you have a bunch of pet store pets.

pandaren monk lil KT XT and rag.

might want to level those pet store pets. especially that monk maybe build a darkness team to compliment the monks raw damage output. something like the gilnean raven with Call darkness or one of the many drake whelps that have call darkness.
you have a lot of options. just gotta look at some of your pets to level. the three you have at cap aren't going to cut it in php unfortunately but once you start to level some pets and make some themed teams. things will start to slowly fall into place. you will get beat around like a losing boxer for a while but eventually you're going to find your groove. just takes some time

Athonx

Post by Athonx » July 22nd, 2013, 8:09 am

Thx for the advice, guys. So the Rag, XT, KT team suggestion, would it be best to use those guys specifically or would any Elemental, Mechanical, Undead team do?

Nilla151

Post by Nilla151 » July 22nd, 2013, 1:43 pm

to be quite honest. i would probably build a darkness team around your pandaren monk. as well as getting rag XT and KT up.

Athonx

Post by Athonx » July 22nd, 2013, 7:55 pm

ok, sounds good. but im still new to this so what exactly does a darkness team mean?

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » July 22nd, 2013, 8:21 pm

Athonx wrote:ok, sounds good. but im still new to this so what exactly does a darkness team mean?
Search for pets that "Causes Darkness" and those that have spells that have "Bonus to Blinded" in the Smart Pet Search portion of this website.

In general it is good to have some pet that "does something" (usually some weather effect) and have pets that get a bonus when that "something" is happening.

Nilla151

Post by Nilla151 » July 23rd, 2013, 12:14 am

Athonx wrote:ok, sounds good. but im still new to this so what exactly does a darkness team mean?

it's a team that is centered around the ability "Call Darkness" the pandaren monk has an ability called fury of 1000 fists which when it hits a blinded target (darkness) has a 95% chance to stun. after the stun is off. you can use takedown which does nasty damage as is. but against a stunned target, it deals double damage.

basically the name of the team is get darkness up. and sweep with the monk.

some good Darkness pets include

scourged whelpling
Gilnean raven
Feline Familiar
Crow

others I'm sure i missing. but tbh id use the scourged whelping. as it's a very versatile pet. they can be found in the ice crown zone. as for your third monster, grab something with night slash or something to go with the darkness, a pet to counter the weakness's of the group. or even just a plain old tanky pet to soak some hits

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 23rd, 2013, 5:32 am

Another thing to do is just watch what you are fighting. If you get absolutely clobbered by something, odds are it is an experienced player with a solid team. There is a ´pet combat´ tab on your chat window where you can see the entire fight. i got blown away early on by a team, and I just copied it and now it is a big winner for me. I never would have thought of it on my own.

My other advice.. if you build a team from advice here. Make sure you give it some time to learn it. All it takes is one wrong ability choice, or using something 1 round too late. A ton of fights are determined on the last round. Give the team a chance before you ditch it as a failure. Finally, every team is weak against something.. don´t get discourage if you get trounced even though you think you are playing with a good team and playing well.

Slog
MVP
Pet Score:3322
BattleTag®:Bray#1583
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Slog » July 23rd, 2013, 9:10 am

Worgenbait wrote:I have NEVER seen an opponent use an aquatic pet
We get crocs, Magical Crawdad and other crabs, and Swamp Croaker played in our battlegroup. They're usually part of a team that's set up as a counter to the more popular teams. A flyer isn't a terrible choice, since it also takes less damage against direhorns.

Udorus
Top Rater
Pet Score:5240
BattleTag®:udorus#2819
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Udorus » July 23rd, 2013, 9:55 am

I saw a few more aquatic pets coming in at the end of my pvp battles, simply switch out scourged whelp and as above introduce crow it still has call darkness which works for monk but its 2nd good ability is nocturnal strike which hits extra hard against aquatic and also 100% hit with darkness (beware elemental pets)

Mine was only BB but with flyers haste above 50% life it makes a great counter to aquatics in a darkness deck, I found they never saw it coming as they saw undead and opened with their aquatic, after that's dead its a win generally.

I feel your pain as I truly despised these pvp battles.

Good luck

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » July 24th, 2013, 12:03 am

P/P Yellow Moth also makes aquatics shit bricks nicely and also works well in general. :)
- Taking your candles since 2005