possible Spectral Tiger Cub dupes?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
possible Spectral Tiger Cub dupes?

Post by Poofah » July 10th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Has anyone noticed Spectral Tiger Cubs being offered in /trade, more often than usual? Are they still the BoP unlearned pet or level 6? I've seen this on a couple high-pop servers, starting maybe 7-10 days ago, and [url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9423802920]somebody on the WoW forums[/url] noted it also. It's always a level 1 unguilded orc warrior, and every time I've inquired, their asking price was 180k.

Looking through some of the high-pop realms on Undermine Journal, it seems like more Spectral Tiger Cubs are finding their way to AH as well, with a corresponding downturn in prices:

[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Illidan&species=242]Illidan(H)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=A-Stormrage&species=242]Stormrage(A)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=A-Proudmoore&species=242]Proudmoore(A)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Area%2052&species=242]Area 52(H)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Tichondrius&species=242]Tichondrius(H)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=A-Aggramar&species=242]Aggramar(A)[/url]
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=A-Wyrmrest%20Accord&species=242]Wyrmrest Accord(A)[/url]

It's not like Spectral Tiger Cubs show up on AH all the time, even on high pop servers, so the data is definitely limited. But, this is specifically not happening with Ethereal Soul Trader or Dragon Kite. So whatever is going on with the Cub, it's not due to panic-selling of TCG pets en masse.

Has anyone else seen more Cubs than usual recently? Or have any ideas what may be causing it (assuming that it's a real trend and I'm not just crazy)?

Ackbah
MVP
Pet Score:3209
BattleTag®:Ackbah#1648
Realm:Hellscream-us

Re: possible Spectral Tiger Cub dupes?

Post by Ackbah » July 10th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Been there seen that...on Illidan Horde side I even said in trade the other day "WTF does everyone have a Spectral Cub for sale?" There were at least 6 people trying to sell em at the same time.

If TGC's can be duped we all might have em!!

Ack )

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Ackbah wrote:If TGC's can be duped we all might have em!!
Maybe. In the past, when people have purchased duped items, Bliz has often deleted them; sometimes with a refund of the purchase price but sometimes not.* If there's an ingame record of your purchase, it's probably pretty safe (ie if you bought it via AH). Buying from random lvl 1s isn't nearly as verifiable though.

I suspect that most or all of the ones we're seeing on AH are not being posted by dupers: they might be duped, but are probably being flipped by legitimate players who bought them (probably unknowingly) from the dupers. And again, I have no absolute proof that they're dupes -- but there's a significant influx of supply coming from somewhere, and it's kind of suspicious.

*edit* -- to clarify, this has only happened in cases involving large numbers of the suspicious items, at least to my knowledge.
Last edited by Poofah on July 24th, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » July 10th, 2013, 4:00 pm

The new TCG set has a chance to drop all loot cards, so they could have gotten them from an early release of it.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 10th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Doobjanka wrote:The new TCG set has a chance to drop all loot cards, so they could have gotten them from an early release of it.
I thought maybe it could be that, or that people were panic-selling old tcg pets in anticipation of the new set. But the release date is July 23, and there's no actual product available on ebay or elsewhere that I checked (only pre-orders). And the trend I'm seeing with Cubs is not happening with the other high-end TCG pets (Soul-Trader, Dragon Kite).

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 10th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Dealers sometimes get and go through boxes before release, but it sounds like this is just limited to the cubs, so I'd be surprised if it was that.

Mystical
Pet Score:6048
BattleTag®:Mystical#11881
Realm:Ragnaros-us

Post by Mystical » July 10th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I won't touch any of these little cubs for a while ... It's really strange.. Seems like they want to sell them really fast.. Today they were selling spectral cubs in Illidan for 160k (level 1 orcs) and 4 out of the 6 in Illidan's AH are level 6...

:S

Ackbah
MVP
Pet Score:3209
BattleTag®:Ackbah#1648
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Ackbah » July 11th, 2013, 9:04 am

I aggree, while it is a smokin deal to get one cheap. Taking a 150k+ hit if it gets removed from your inventory will sting even the richest players...

I asked a guy ?$ and he replied 155k...all of the auctions I saw are in english (I have the ignore Chinese Addon) so there could be even more happening that I am not seeing.

Ack )

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 11th, 2013, 9:50 am

Ackbah wrote:Taking a 150k+ hit if it gets removed from your inventory will sting even the richest players...
It's a calculated risk. If you get it from AH, it's much safer, as they can verify that you bought it legitimately and will likely refund your gold. It's also not 100% certain that they'll get deleted, since it's hard to verify their source once they've changed hands and/or been used. In the past, with Crimson Deathchargers for example, they had no way to trace whether a learned mount had come from a duped item, because the learned mount didn't inherit any info from the item you learned it from. So once you had used the item, the learned mount generally was not deleted. I have no idea whether pets in your journal inherit info from the caged pet you learn them from. So it's possible that one could 'launder' pets by learning and re-caging them. Note that I'm definitely not advocating this! But if this happens on any significant scale, then there's going to be a decent influx of cubs which could depress prices in the long term.

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » July 11th, 2013, 9:51 am

I have seen the same thing on Korgath US, the selling of cheap Spectral Tiger cubs in trade. I have not seen one on the AH in awhile though. Before MoP, It was very rare for me to meet another player with this pet in game. ( And I do know most of the collectors.) And now they do seem to be everywhere. Hmm...

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 11th, 2013, 10:05 am

Laraven wrote:I have seen the same thing on Korgath US, the selling of cheap Spectral Tiger cubs in trade. I have not seen one on the AH in awhile though.
I think this is because the ones on AH are being sold by legit players, who probably bought them in good faith (regardless if they're duped), and then want to flip them elsewhere on a server that has a more active pet market (e.g. Illidan(H)). Cubs were 170k in AH (1 level 10, and 4 level 6) and 140k in trade this morning on Illidan.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 11th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Just saw a lvl 1 human selling a cub for 125k on Cenarius. I've never even seen a cub on this server before. I call serious shenanigans.

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » July 12th, 2013, 12:03 pm

We're seeing a flood of them across the Oceanic servers on both factions atm. Generally level 1 toons, the normal scammy looking stuff.

As I already bought one years ago, they don't interest me. But my opinion generally with TCG is it's better to drop RL $ from a reputable card dealer than trying to deal with in game gold. I find if you look long and hard, you'll generally find a good bargain every now and then. Some people prefer spending gold or have little RL $. But I wouldn't drop 150k on one of those cubs, or any pet tbh.

Ziv
Top Rater
Pet Score:13832
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Ziv » July 12th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Not the same Spectral Tiger, but immediately after I read this thread, checked out trade & saw this clown:

http://imgur.com/oj0dbJm

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » July 12th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Korgath now has 4 lvl 1's selling Spectral Tiger Cubs, spamming WTS every minute or two, all day long.

I whispered all of them to ask how much and they are all fighting each other and keep lowering the prices. From 140k to 100k. They don't speak English well at all so it's a difficult conversation to say the least. There are NONE on the AH at this time though.

This upset me as I paid soo much money for my cub. :(

Ziv
Top Rater
Pet Score:13832
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Ziv » July 12th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Laraven wrote:Korgath now has 4 lvl 1's selling Spectral Tiger Cubs, spamming WTS every minute or two, all day long.

I whispered all of them to ask how much and they are all fighting each other and keep lowering the prices. From 140k to 100k. They don't speak English well at all so it's a difficult conversation to say the least. There are NONE on the AH at this time though.

This upset me as I paid soo much money for my cub. :(
Are they Spectral Cubs or Spectral Tiger Cubs? The tiger cub is the TCG, just the cub I the Asian promotion. (Which is what the level 1 was trying to sell on Suramar's trade chat.

Serahna
Top Rater
Pet Score:1625
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Serahna » July 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm

What is the addon that allows you to ignore Chinese auctions?
So far no cubs have popped up on our AH, but I would still love to have this addon.
Thanks!

Anael
Realm:Thaurissan-us

Post by Anael » July 12th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I want this addon too

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » July 13th, 2013, 12:04 am

Getting activity in trade chat on Echo Isles (US) concerning these but nothing on AH yet. Just started yesterday from what I can see.