Mass Pet Dump on the 25th

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us
Mass Pet Dump on the 25th

Post by Mairin » September 11th, 2012, 5:58 am

I might well be the only one odd enough to care about this sort of thing but there's almost a slightly sentimental issue with me dumping a decent sized cache of pets when MoP comes out. As far as unique pets go I'm at 183 (well 184 although the azure whelp in my bags is going to have to wait a couple weeks) but with my love of alts I'm clocking in around 1200 total pets which presents the problem. Whether it be caging or even *sniffle* releasing, getting rid of up to a thousand pets in one day is kind of bothering me a little. I have every intention of going pet hunting before worrying about character levelling come MoP which means I'll be spending launch night trying to figure out what to do with a dozen of Pet X and a couple dozen of Pet Y. On top of that there's also the dilemma of which servers and factions to cage which on... :?

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Re: Mass Pet Dump on the 25th

Post by Plucky » September 11th, 2012, 7:09 am

Maybe instead of releasing pets, you could at least cage up some of the more rarer and numerous pets like Wolpertingers and Phoenix Hatchlings, assuming that BoU/BoPness of pet-learning items doesn't extend onto the Caged versions, for the Phoenix though, it's a lot more humane than just selling them for 25s whenever you get one instead of the White Hawkstrider.

Or pass extremely common pets such as Cats to more younger guild members.

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 11th, 2012, 9:23 am

Yep I plan on caging every possible spare pet I can. I'm starting to get this sinking feeling I'll end up with a new alt with his/her own guild bank just full of them to start with :shock:

Funny you should mention wolpertingers, I get the feeling that's going to be one of the hardest to shift seeing as brewfest is right around the corner and last I recall they were a cheap vendor pet there now (or at least a simple quest, I forget, it's been a while).

I was kind of hoping to do a mass mailing to friends/guildies that don't have certain pets but since the armory's pet/mount display is unavailable for now that gets a little trickier.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » September 11th, 2012, 10:33 am

I plan to release quite a few pets, the common ones, because I want to get under 500 so I can learn the fox kit. But I will try to save everything at all rare for the cage option.

I, too, am sentimental and find the pet limit a problem. My dwarf was the first to get a pet 4 years ago, the snowshoe rabbit, and she named him Fidget. And some of my other small pets have been named all along, as well. Four of my characters named their Westfall Chickens, but they say we can only have 3 of each pet. But since they also say none will be forcibly deleted, I wonder if in practical terms, it just means I won't be able to ever learn another Westfall chicken if I keep 4 of them. Still I'm afraid to keep four, in case I'm somehow forced to get rid of one later on?! My warrior would not go without her Admiral Cluckers, so I've used that name (although I had to go with an abbreviation, Adm Cluckers, because the naming restrictions don't allow military titles, lol). And Lysi kept her chicken named Killer (at the time it was an ironic name for a small pet, now with the pet battles it seems a little vain, lol). That leaves 2 names not yet issued, Chickpea and Plucky. (My dwarf named Plucky long before we made it to the Shimmering Flats and saw the chicken Plucky Johnson, lol.) I considered combining the unused names, Plucky Chickpea, but it just doesn't sound right. So I think I will throw caution to the wind, and name four of my Westfall Chickens. XD

But I really need to release pets soon, because more of them are getting names all the time! Yesterday my hunter used the random pet macro, out popped a Bombling, and she named him Boom. Later, she used the macro again, and out came another Bombling! She named that one Dud. I think that will be my task today, running around releasing pets before things get worse, lol. I'll feel better if I do it in places they'd like to call home. I've already released a few moths and snakes when I happened to see some out in the environment. I'll release some mechanicals in Gnomer, that kind of thing.

Mairin, good luck whatever you do!
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 13th, 2012, 5:19 am

I'm thinking my best course of action for launch night is have some obscure alt on my primary horde and alliance servers cage and AH everything possible (alliance vendor pets horde side and the rest alliance side) then get to releasing what I must. This way I at least buy myself 2 days of auction time and up to 30 days of chilling in the mailbox time so I can figure out something more permanent.

I'm curious though, other than already giving certain pets great names and personalities (/salute Admiral Cluckers) is there a huge reason to keep all 3 of a certain pet if you have other pets that fill the same role. For instance, against an all mech team (the gnome in hellfire for example) it wouldn't hurt to have an all elemental team since they take less damage from mechs and 2/3 or even 3/3 skills do additional mech damage. I have like 16 searing scorchlings (high attack), 3 Lumpys (all round), 20 something squashlings (high attack), 9 sunflowers(high health) etc (you get the idea) which are all rare and elemental and almost seems a little redundant (and that's not counting the 15 or so wild elementals out there). As mentioned above, I'm not crazy about getting rid of any but since I must I might as well make as room as possible for the "new squad".

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » September 13th, 2012, 6:53 am

I've dropped my collection down to a manageable 498 pets by ditching vendor pets. My plan for MoP is to cage any rare-ish drop ones I can and donate them to members of the new WarcraftPets guild forming on the 20th of September, so, you know, good reason to roll a Horde alt on Madoran by then!
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 13th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I set free 100ish earlier that didn't have a cage option so that gets me down a little to 1090 but I'm still loathed to just release any of my little associates that can be boxed up.

Post by Guest » September 14th, 2012, 1:01 am

1000? And here I was fretting about my 740+ ... I had two main pet collectors (horde/ally) which means I at least have 2 of everything (had 5 characters with over 100 pets, the other 3 had 60+ and not sure about the bankers) ... noticed I had seven darkmoon faire kitties, guess they were my favorite. Really wish they would add the ability to cage animals before release so we don't spend our first few hours sorting through furry critters. Think my plan is to cage all that I can, ship them off to my banker that has a guild bank to herself .. stuff the cages in there and worry about them later :P ~ K

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 14th, 2012, 4:04 am

Koori wrote:Really wish they would add the ability to cage animals before release so we don't spend our first few hours sorting through furry critters. Think my plan is to cage all that I can, ship them off to my banker that has a guild bank to herself .. stuff the cages in there and worry about them later :P ~ K
Yep that seems to be the general plan among most of us, delay the problem so we can go out hunting :P

Going back a little, so did anyone have any thoughts on the keeping of 1 vs 3 of pets? (excluding the ones with variable stats that is, might as well keep a couple versions)

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » September 24th, 2012, 9:42 am

I don't have my own Guild toon so I can't do this.

I have a storage toon separate from my bank soon for long term storage. Right now she's holding all the leather I need to level my panda's leatherworking from 1 to 525. I forsee her being stuck with a lot of caged pets real soon lol.

I think I'll be only keeping 1 of each kind of pet initially and caging all the rest to clean up the journal. I may keep some caged ones if I decide to AH some leveled pets in the future.

I'm thinking I may put a lot into the WCP.com guild bank as well for those who may not have them. As my mains are all Ally I can cage the Ally vendor pets and put them in the bank for those who don't want to spend money on Neutral AH for Ally pets.

I don't want the WCP.com guild bank to overflow with useless pets though either.

Post by Guest » September 25th, 2012, 10:11 am

I have just a "few" extra pets ...

This is an interesting bug that makes it look even worse: http://whalebait.com/koori/test/petbugs.jpg

(I had stacks of cloth I switched around with pets, in the guild bank they look like stacks of 20 pets, out of the bank they turn back to cloth icon.)

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 25th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Between auctioning the rare ones, mailing a few off to friends and sending the bulk to an alt's mailbox it ended up taking me from like midnight-2 pacific which fortunately for me was 8-10am. Now just waiting for me put it off for a month and get 800 pets returned in the mail :roll: ;)