Could someone please help me set up a team or two?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Miwa
MVP
Pet Score:2967
Realm:Wildhammer-eu
Could someone please help me set up a team or two?

Post by Miwa » July 1st, 2013, 2:20 pm

You'll probably say I have no imagination, but I'm REALLY bad at planning when it comes to pet teams xD
Collecting them I'm really great at, but putting together a team I can't :S
I only have one setup, which I got from someone else here x.x

Anyway, could anyone please help me put together a team or two? The most effective ones, preferably, but I'm not picky lol. I got most pets (559 unique), check my profile if you are unsure.

God it's frustrating that they made faction pets tradable though, like the Sporeggar one. It makes me feel I wasted so much time when grinding them purely for their pet. Haah...
Last edited by Miwa on July 8th, 2013, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Re: Could someone please help me set up a team or two?

Post by Teacake » July 1st, 2013, 5:14 pm

I just posted this in another thread, so now I look like a spammer (although I have nothing to do with the post in question), but I really think it's worth a look for anyone just starting to put teams together:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8508350795

Slog
MVP
Pet Score:3322
BattleTag®:Bray#1583
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Slog » July 2nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Are you trying to build a team for PvP, general PvE capturing, grand master trainers, elemental trainers, or beasts of fable?

Miwa
MVP

Post by Miwa » July 4th, 2013, 11:19 am

PvP.

And thanks to the person above, I checked out the link, but it didn't really help xD
For example, I love my Gurky, but it's clearly inferior to Mr. Wiggles when it comes to pet battles... and when PvPing, you have to optimize :(

Yellowlab
Top Rater
Pet Score:5566
BattleTag®:Yellowlab#1493
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Yellowlab » July 5th, 2013, 9:44 am

You can try using my favorite team. It mostly revolves around the S/S Nordrassil Wisp. The wisp blinds your opponent causing them to miss most of their attacks against you. Plus with its extremely high speed, it is always going to go first so you get an extra turn of blindness. The only pet that will go first before the wisp is a flyer, and flyers are weak to all of the wisps attacks. The wisp also works AMAZING against the popular force swap teams and blindness teams. For example, the wisp will always go before a swap pet, and will cause their swap move to miss half the time. If they miss that attack, its pretty much over. It works extra well on Crawling Claws, because they usually miss their curse of doom. But if it doesn't miss...blindness can also cause it to miss after its timer expires to deal damage. Smart players will swap out their pet when you blind it. But if a darkness team tries to do this, it doesn't matter, because all pets are considered blind regardless in that weather. Therefore they will swap in a full HP pet only to have it immediately suffer very high damage from your wisps double attack.

Some of the wisps biggest weaknesses are sandstorm and mechanical pets. This is where your backups come in. I use Frosty, but I looked at your profile and you don't have that pet, but really any good tanking undead pet will do. Like a Ghostly Skull or Unborn Val'kyr or something. This pets job is to tank and beat the hell out of the opponents Anubisath Idol, other humanoid pets, and mechanical pets. If they have both pets, save it for the mechanical one, because your other pet is a Direhorn Runt.

The Direhorn Runt is in your group just to be OP. He is your main killer. Your wisp should have weakened the enemy team by now, the runt has an AOE too that will further injure the team. Your opponent cannot keep his pets safe in the back line from this team. The Direhorn also does very well against the popular humanoid pets because beasts take reduced damage against humanoids. With the direhorn, reduce their speed if they are faster than you. Then use charge and horn attack accordingly. If the opponent is faster than you, but only has 400 hp, then obviously use the trihorn charge instead of the speed reduction, since this would kill the opponents pet outright. The horn attack should almost always be used when you outspeed your opponent, but need 2 or more attacks to kill them. This will cause them to have a 50% chance to lose their turn.

So this is pretty much the basics of this team. As you play it more often, you will see things that you should do against certain situations. The team causes your opponent to miss a lot of turns whether it's through blindness or horn attacks. It is also made to beat a lot o the extremely popular teams out there right now. It's main weakness is heavy mechanical teams since it has both a magic and a beat pet in it. Using Frosty as my undead pet puts me at a slight advantage here because he has 2 elemental attacks which beat up mechanical pets. So when you search for your undead pet, maybe find one that has an elemental attack as well (make sure they have a hard hitting undead attack too though).

Well, I'm sorry this was so long, but I really hope it helps! I have had great success with this team and it's super fun to play. You can always feel free to ask me questions about what to do in certain situations or whatever :)

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » July 5th, 2013, 9:50 am

Miwa wrote:PvP.

And thanks to the person above, I checked out the link, but it didn't really help xD
For example, I love my Gurky, but it's clearly inferior to Mr. Wiggles when it comes to pet battles... and when PvPing, you have to optimize :(
Inferior in what way? On what team?

You could certainly build a team around Mr. Wiggles. Your primary concern in that case would be that he's a critter, which are tough to play with all the beast attacks out there in general, and especially right now with all the direhorns you'll run into. You could also build a team around Gurky, whose weak and strong spots are different. They'd be two completely different teams. Gurky probably wouldn't work well on the Mr. W team, and vice versa.

In other words, they're not comparable pets just because they've both got an accuracy boosting ability. You can't look at them individually and say one is stronger unless they've got the exact same moveset and are of the same family (and even then there are other factors to consider).

There are a couple of concerning things about Gurky's moveset. It might turn out he's not a great pet for PVP. Or you might build a team around him that's just awesome and wins most of the time. I have no idea, as I've never played him, but either way it really has very little to do with Mr. Wiggles. There is no "optimum" pet or team for PVP. The optimum setup is one that a.) works well together and b.) you know how to play well. Individually strong pets are not what PVP's about.

Miwa
MVP

Post by Miwa » July 7th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Teacake wrote:
Miwa wrote:PvP.

Inferior in what way? On what team?

You could certainly build a team around Mr. Wiggles. Your primary concern in that case would be that he's a critter, which are tough to play with all the beast attacks out there in general, and especially right now with all the direhorns you'll run into. You could also build a team around Gurky, whose weak and strong spots are different. They'd be two completely different teams. Gurky probably wouldn't work well on the Mr. W team, and vice versa.

In other words, they're not comparable pets just because they've both got an accuracy boosting ability. You can't look at them individually and say one is stronger unless they've got the exact same moveset and are of the same family (and even then there are other factors to consider).

There are a couple of concerning things about Gurky's moveset. It might turn out he's not a great pet for PVP. Or you might build a team around him that's just awesome and wins most of the time. I have no idea, as I've never played him, but either way it really has very little to do with Mr. Wiggles. There is no "optimum" pet or team for PVP. The optimum setup is one that a.) works well together and b.) you know how to play well. Individually strong pets are not what PVP's about.
I mean that Gurky has really bad skills except for Lucky Dance, which Mr. Wiggles has a skill that works exactly the same. And the rest of his skills are much better.

Miwa
MVP

Post by Miwa » July 7th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Yellowlab wrote:You can try using my favorite team. It mostly revolves around the S/S Nordrassil Wisp. The wisp blinds your opponent causing them to miss most of their attacks against you. Plus with its extremely high speed, it is always going to go first so you get an extra turn of blindness. The only pet that will go first before the wisp is a flyer, and flyers are weak to all of the wisps attacks. The wisp also works AMAZING against the popular force swap teams and blindness teams. For example, the wisp will always go before a swap pet, and will cause their swap move to miss half the time. If they miss that attack, its pretty much over. It works extra well on Crawling Claws, because they usually miss their curse of doom. But if it doesn't miss...blindness can also cause it to miss after its timer expires to deal damage. Smart players will swap out their pet when you blind it. But if a darkness team tries to do this, it doesn't matter, because all pets are considered blind regardless in that weather. Therefore they will swap in a full HP pet only to have it immediately suffer very high damage from your wisps double attack.

Some of the wisps biggest weaknesses are sandstorm and mechanical pets. This is where your backups come in. I use Frosty, but I looked at your profile and you don't have that pet, but really any good tanking undead pet will do. Like a Ghostly Skull or Unborn Val'kyr or something. This pets job is to tank and beat the hell out of the opponents Anubisath Idol, other humanoid pets, and mechanical pets. If they have both pets, save it for the mechanical one, because your other pet is a Direhorn Runt.

The Direhorn Runt is in your group just to be OP. He is your main killer. Your wisp should have weakened the enemy team by now, the runt has an AOE too that will further injure the team. Your opponent cannot keep his pets safe in the back line from this team. The Direhorn also does very well against the popular humanoid pets because beasts take reduced damage against humanoids. With the direhorn, reduce their speed if they are faster than you. Then use charge and horn attack accordingly. If the opponent is faster than you, but only has 400 hp, then obviously use the trihorn charge instead of the speed reduction, since this would kill the opponents pet outright. The horn attack should almost always be used when you outspeed your opponent, but need 2 or more attacks to kill them. This will cause them to have a 50% chance to lose their turn.

So this is pretty much the basics of this team. As you play it more often, you will see things that you should do against certain situations. The team causes your opponent to miss a lot of turns whether it's through blindness or horn attacks. It is also made to beat a lot o the extremely popular teams out there right now. It's main weakness is heavy mechanical teams since it has both a magic and a beat pet in it. Using Frosty as my undead pet puts me at a slight advantage here because he has 2 elemental attacks which beat up mechanical pets. So when you search for your undead pet, maybe find one that has an elemental attack as well (make sure they have a hard hitting undead attack too though).

Well, I'm sorry this was so long, but I really hope it helps! I have had great success with this team and it's super fun to play. You can always feel free to ask me questions about what to do in certain situations or whatever :)

EDIT: I got Frosty now.