Pet Total Panic!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us
Pet Total Panic!

Post by Katzbalger » September 6th, 2012, 9:12 am

I just found this wonderful list of all the new pets http://www.petbattles.net/ made by the Godmother over at http://www.alternative-blog.net/ and.....I'm scared! :o

Now after some initial panic and 'how can they do this to us?!' screaming, I calmed down and realized a few things regarding the total number of pets shown, which is 505, and the limit on total pets which is 500.

Firstly, that list is every pet, so it does list some that aren't available on US servers, secondly there's the no longer available ones (although some of them might now BE available due to caging in MOP!) and thirdly, for myself at least, there's the TCG/Store/CE pets which I don't collect.

However assuming they will be releasing more pets in the future, for those who do collect TCG/Store/CE pets and perhaps have or manage to get some of the old no longer available ones, the total we can have seems very tight for collectors.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Re: Pet Total Panic!

Post by Syrrie » September 6th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Most of the unobtainables are non-tradeable, I think. (I know the Spirit of Competition and the Vampiric Batling aren't currently)

That said, I imagine they'll probably up the total number limit if/when they add more pets.
Image Image

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » September 6th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I didn't think they were adding so many capturable pets right away. I thought there were a lot of pets in the wild you could battle for pet xp but not capture? But even if that number is correct, there are a lot of critters with skins like ones we already have. Personally, I don't see any reason to get those duplicate skins.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » September 7th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Lysi wrote:Personally, I don't see any reason to get those duplicate skins.
I think the Jade Tentacle is a pretty good reason :P

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » September 7th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Lysi wrote:I didn't think they were adding so many capturable pets right away. I thought there were a lot of pets in the wild you could battle for pet xp but not capture? But even if that number is correct, there are a lot of critters with skins like ones we already have. Personally, I don't see any reason to get those duplicate skins.
If beta is any measure, that will be the number of pets capturable Sept. 25th. (On beta I went from 200 to 312 pets in a matter of about two days by just capturing pets.) And the real reason to collect them, as said above, is mostly for achievements (Feral Vermiling for 200 unique pets, Venus for 400 unique) since a pet with the same skin but different name counts as a unique pet. Also for people like me that are obsessed with getting as complete a collection as possible. >_>
Image Image

Kujaaron
Pet Score:9917
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Kujaaron » September 8th, 2012, 1:25 pm

There will be a lot i catch and release as room is needed. But there are a few achievements out there that will required you to catch most of the pets. Just look at World Safari (achievements>pet battles>collect), it is a meta for EK/kali/out/north/panda safari. EK/kali/panda all required over an entire pane of the achievement screen, where as out/northrend require about half a pane. upon counting them up its like 306 pets (dont trust my counting, ive been camping the rabbit all week so my eyes are bleeding). I will however say that some of them show up in multiple lists so you could easily catch multiple and sell them on the AH after caging them. but yes, this 500 pet cap is extremely annoying. Id have been willing to pay a one time fee to have it where i could store 3x of every pet (1x of promo pets) in there, or just have it set that if you have any of the Pet Store Pets, that you got that upgraded for free. Cause 500 cap leaves no room for future growth after the launch.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 8th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Do the achievements require you to keep all those pets? Or do you get credit as soon as you add a never-before-had pet?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 8th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Lysi wrote:Do the achievements require you to keep all those pets? Or do you get credit as soon as you add a never-before-had pet?
I just tested this on the beta. You can release it and not lose progress in the collecting achievements. Thank goodness!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 8th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Quintessence wrote:
Lysi wrote:Do the achievements require you to keep all those pets? Or do you get credit as soon as you add a never-before-had pet?
I just tested this on the beta. You can release it and not lose progress in the collecting achievements. Thank goodness!
That makes sense. They don't usually take away a step towards an acheivement once you've earn it. :)

Dalrint
Pet Score:9471
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Dalrint » September 9th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Don't forget some of the wild pets have different 'skins' for the same pet.

The moths in Darnassus have at least two different skins, a blue one and a white/albino one.

We may actually hit the limit trying to get everything.

Coy
MVP
Pet Score:5212
BattleTag®:Coy#1115
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Coy » September 11th, 2012, 9:17 am

Lysi wrote:
Quintessence wrote:
That makes sense. They don't usually take away a step towards an acheivement once you've earn it. :)
Usually don't, but I noticed I lost progress towards 50 exalted reputations when I dropped Oracles for Frenzyheart. I thought I would get credit for having both at exalted, but it seems only one counts at a time. I'm just glad I didn't test this with Scryers/Aldor.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 11th, 2012, 10:40 am

They usually allow you to delete things you have to carry in your bag, and still keep any associated achievements. Since pets are now a type of inventory with a limit, rather than spells you can't unlearn, it's more like something you'd have to keep in your bag. But I know there are no hard and fast rules in Warcraft! It still annoys me they can't make up their minds if you're supposed to click on portals or walk through them, lol.