Seriously when are they going to NERF direhorns!!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us
Seriously when are they going to NERF direhorns!!

Post by Reapersbeast » June 29th, 2013, 1:20 am

I keep hearing crap like they're broken and will be fixed....Well how stupid can you be to not know 300+ Damage AND a 50% chance to interrupt your opponents turn is Completely OP to begin with???? That chance should be lowered to 25% At the very least, and the hit chance of the spell horn attack should be lowered to at least 90% if not 85% or given a longer CD! Not to mention their damage is so op on it's own, and if your smart and use a shield(like sandstorm) with them your team is UNBEATABLE!!

As if the mechanics for shield's aren't already OP enough, you put an OP attack like horn attack with them and it truly isn't even worth playing against that team! Shields should ALL work like "Extra plating"(or Crouch) does, it reduces all damage by 50% for only 3 rounds, not 9 or 5 like sandstorm and shell shield are for example, because the worst part is While their shield is up they're taking hardly Any damage, Yet still pounding away on you! 50% of all damage for 2 or 3 rounds is fair, but Shields make literally 75% of the pets in the game Completely Useless against them! If a spell doesn't hit for at least 350+ points it's not even worth using against a shield! Especially since the shield mechanic always takes effect before any offensive abilities do like shattering defenses for example. I can literally solo half the lvl 25 daily pet battles with 1 crab! That's just pathetically OP!!

Shields need their mechanics changed and Direhorns need drastically nerfed! Just saying!

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: Seriously when are they going to NERF direhorns!!

Post by Graven » June 29th, 2013, 4:53 am

Not sure I agree that shields need changing, but definitely the direhorns, what on earth were they thinking? Did they even test them in a single pet battle?

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » June 29th, 2013, 10:20 am

The trihorn shield is the weaker of the two ability options for that slot available to direhorns. If someone has trihorn shield on their direhorn, it means that they don't have primal cry. So as long as your pet's base speed is faster than theirs (which is 281 or less), it can't be stunned. Which makes the direhorn function pretty much like an emperor crab without a heal.

Also, direhorn damage is getting nerfed in 5.4 in the form of a cooldown and damage reduction on trihorn charge. This doesn't fix the issue of the pet having a team-wide slow combined with horn attack, but it at least reduces the damage output a little.

Teelo
Pet Score:1926
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Teelo » June 29th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Arcane Winds.

I went up against a guy earlier with Celestial Dragon, Direhorn, and Kun'lai Runt. He opened with Moonlight. I changed weather to Scorched Earth. He changed weather to Arcane Winds. I killed his Celestial Dragon on the next round. Out comes the Kun'lai Runt. Attempts to stun me... swaps to Direhorn, attempts to stun me... during Arcane Winds. I laughed uncontrollably.

Iskren
Pet Score:1885
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Iskren » June 30th, 2013, 7:14 am

Good idea mate but can you name me some good all around pet with arcane winds (+ i play like almost always with sandstorm so i dunno how i can fit a pet with arcane winds in my setup).
Anyway considering how popular are runt and horn its a really good idea :_) !

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 30th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Iskren wrote:Good idea mate but can you name me some good all around pet with arcane winds (+ i play like almost always with sandstorm so i dunno how i can fit a pet with arcane winds in my setup).
Anyway considering how popular are runt and horn its a really good idea :_) !
Nexus whelp has it if that is a reasonable choice for you.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Iskren

Post by Iskren » June 30th, 2013, 7:24 pm

I found a solution for the direhorns problem. I simple got 1 for my self ROFL(the 250 pvp wins one ofc) ! :lol:
I am yet to find a team that is close to hard counter to this :
Anubisath Idol (crush+sandstorm+rapture Named : Jah Over ! ) + Spirit Crab H/H(Snap + Whirpool +Shell Shield) + Stunted Direhorn(the 1st 3 spells).
Double decoy team , triple swap team , 3 direhorns team....all is killable . I am happy panda now !

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Bistromath » June 30th, 2013, 8:57 pm

I think the reason they made the Direhorns so strong is they wanted people to get a feeling for what it would be like if a real Triceratops ran you down with a Horn Attack or charged you.

And if you look back in history at the fossils of the Triceratops they did find shield generators mixed in with the bones.

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » July 1st, 2013, 4:12 am

Um....ok Xiaoyu.

So anyway, back to direhorns! They are getting a nerf in 5.4, in that charge is getting it's damage reduce and a 1 round cd. Not going to make much difference honestly to most users. Won't make that much difference to those abusing the actual bug with the pet either, which is nothing anyone has mentioned here yet, it's the Trihorn Shield ability. Instead of absorbing 70~ damage per hit as it's supposed to, it actually blocks over 150, plus blocks before any bonus damage. So a Batter for example which is supposed to do 220 damage per hit to a direhorn, in fact does 0 damage per hit.

I can beat the ones using primal cry. Without using a specific counter team however, I can barely damage the ones using shield.

Iskren

Post by Iskren » July 1st, 2013, 4:26 am

Its not a bug mate its a tooltip that need to be fixed(if lasted 5 rounds i would say its a bug but it last only 3)
Not saying Trihorn shield is bad choice but overall the better strategic move to have is primal cry.Direhorn is the pet you should try keep to play last with ...its not your tanking pet.Also Primal cry is 100% hit and i value this a lot when it comes to finishing of a pet with very little hp.
Playing direhorn with shield is pure troll move and as such a good player might punish u :)

Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us

Post by Reapersbeast » July 1st, 2013, 10:13 pm

I'm glad to see so many people agreeing how broken Direhorns are, it's just crazy stupid how op they are!

And the reason I mentioned that the Shield mechanics Need changed, is because they take effect before offensive abilities do! Making them Extremely broken and literally unbeatable by over 75% of the pets in the game! If they would let offensive abilities like shattered defenses take effect first, at least then it would be more fair! So everyone doesn't have to be running 3 big hitters every time they want to pvp!

I have 3 different teams I Love to play on a consistent basis! I like to be able to switch them up and have a fair chance against any team. But a shield team literally makes 2 of my teams(Dot team and Blinded team) Completely worthless) The blinded team should actually have a shot against them if mechanics in this game even worked properly all the time but when I do A 15/20 round fight against a direhorn or Anub idol and they Never miss or only miss once using 50% and 80% hit spells its like WTF!!!

So yeah I like the way Extra Plating and Crouch work they're fair and don't last what seems like 100 rounds but at the same time they are very useful in Any fight No matter the size of hit even if you raised them all to 3 rounds I'd consider them fairer then Shell shield and the like! And I'm sorry but how the hell does an Anubisath Idol Ever hit with Sandstorm(-10 hit) up and using a 50% or 80% hit spell??? And the worst part is they hardly ever seem to miss!! In 400+ pvp battles(5000+ overall battles) they seem to hit more like their spell is 75% and 90%(yes I use it myself from time to time, Although I hate cookie cutter teams so I don't use it often!)......Maybe another bug WoW needs to look at!!

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 1st, 2013, 10:37 pm

They are getting nerfed a bit, but still they are fine. I think because they are newer, people just haven´t learned how to counter them. It has happened every patch. A new pet gets introduced, it seems overpowered, everyone uses it, everyone discovers counters for it, it stops being used by everyone and becomes just a normal pet.

The problem is there are people who are still using the same team from 5.0 and thinking they should still be winning all the time. Well, sorry to tell you, but your OP pets have been analyzed and everyone has counters to them now. Now, you should be thinking of counters to the direhorns, or asking others. As soon as more people start playing their counters, they will gradually disappear.

Iskren

Post by Iskren » July 2nd, 2013, 3:26 am

Son of Animus is very hard counter to direhorns. Many mechanical pets do well very horns too.
Enchated Broom with 3triple hit 1st attack does amazing vs direhorns. Do i need to go on.
If you play smart and you have good pets to switch with...then direhorn kills one pet and a half max and thats with tons of luck.If you outplay him direhorn kills like 1 pet max.
Don't simple let enemy plays his game ...play a little more risky and switch pets a lot if needed :)
Direhorns are good by them self but dont think you can pair two and win every game. Sometimes one pet is enough to ruin your whole tactic with stun/charge.Also horns sometimes miss just too much with charge.
Problem is that somtimes they totally destroys a whole enemy team if you are not prepared.
Enraged direhorn(and before that you are going to eat at least 700-800 dmg if no shield effects) 3 shots almost any pet in the game and only thing you need to do is land a single stun lolel !

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » July 2nd, 2013, 6:00 am

Azrile wrote:They are getting nerfed a bit, but still they are fine. I think because they are newer, people just haven´t learned how to counter them. It has happened every patch. A new pet gets introduced, it seems overpowered, everyone uses it, everyone discovers counters for it, it stops being used by everyone and becomes just a normal pet.
Like when Deflect was Reflect right? Totally fair move and people learned how to counter it... no wait, it got nerfed because it was OP. All of Direhorn skills, like I mentioned many times, are as damaging as other basic attacks of same %hit, but they all have extra perks. There is no reason why Primal Cry is nearly as damaging as Whirlwind while applying triple -25% debuff like Screech does single target.

Charge being not spammable is step in good direction but not enough (at the very least will make Shield skill less useful on non-speedy breeds). Horn attack is still skill that is way too powerful on pet with build in slow, it's like KunLai Runt, except with Frost Shock being spread all over team so no swap will help. And it eats critters so you can't even counter them like. Make it trigger Resilience, then we can have something semi-balanced, skipping move each second turn is really horsecrap mechanic to fight against.

Abilities that are stronger that they should are fine by me (Primal Cry, Horn Attack). Pets that have extremely well made toolkit are fine by me (KunLai runt 222, Fiendish Imp). Pets that have both at once are just breaking the game though.

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Spary » July 2nd, 2013, 1:25 pm

Funny how the KRL somehow became "fine", while the Direhorns aren't ;)

There is only ONE thing Blizzard should implement: not being able to use more than one pet with the same moveset - and all is fine, but that won't happen I guess.

One direhorn alone is dangerous but manageable, especially if You are prepared for one (and You should be atm! although I often see teams in pvp that get absolutely destroyed by one direhorn).

But being able to play 3 direhorns, 3 runts or 3 imps or what not JUST to annoy anyone out there can't be the right way. However this wouldn't address another problem of pet pvp - triple force teams (and I mean the ones that know how to play) ... I still hope anyone leaves when facing one - so the guys behind at least get no exp for this ;)

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » July 3rd, 2013, 5:47 am

Spary wrote:(and You should be atm! although I often see teams in pvp that get absolutely destroyed by one direhorn).
I may not like KLR, but I've beaten them, and they are predictable, switching also prevent their combo from being instant KO. They are extremely strong if left to 1v1, but I rarely leave such outcomes (having 3 pets at 1/3hp each or similar) so I can deal with them.

Direhorns? All it takes that their Horn Attack proc and your pet is dead. There is no counter to that, Critters are eaten alive, switching is useless, it's nigh impossible to have pet that is fastest than their after Cry, move first skills are -1 turn when it decides to Charge. I tried to make a themed teams, or something else that I'm running with get wins (Imp/Warbot/Wolvar), but each time I get Direhorn placed against me, he gets Horn Charges procs and before it's down, one of my pet is dead and second is at ~25% hp. I've given up trying to come with different teams solely because how many things Direhorn can effectively shut down.

Ghostrunz
Pet Score:4418
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Ghostrunz » July 5th, 2013, 2:24 am

I'm running 10 different teams and the one with 3 Direhorns is middle of the road. I have 2 teams that each only use one Direhorn that win more consistently. My team that wins the most often uses none.

Complaining about 3 Direhorn teams is like complaining about getting owned in a BG when you have no pvp gear. There are far too many pet team combinations that completely own Direhorn teams for me to try to list. The experienced players have enough pets in their arnsenal that if I beat them with my 3 Direhorn team they will que up for the next game with a team that destroys Direhorns with ease. Any team can be countered, which is why I rotate 10 teams.

Dazer
Pet Score:10104
BattleTag®:Dazer#2240
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Dazer » July 5th, 2013, 4:02 am

Ghostrunz wrote:Complaining about 3 Direhorn teams is like complaining about getting owned in a BG when you have no pvp gear.
I don't think anyone is complaining about getting owned. Pet-battling is as balanced as LOL: after all, you can choose the pets of your adversary if you so desire so it's all fair, *always*. The issue here is the meta-game: to beat the direhorns, you have two options:
-build a counter team
-join the herd
In a game where only wins count, your road to success includes increasing your win/time ratio, and direhorns do this very efficiently. Thus, more than the usual amount of players decide on the second option, because it yields better results in the long run; just like it happened with fluxfire or kunlai kids.
Ballanced pets would see a shift in the player population finding counters, and later on, counters for those counters and so on. Direhorns are not seeing this cycle and are set in a trend of increasing their population, hence the call for a nerf.

Ghostrunz
Pet Score:4418
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Ghostrunz » July 5th, 2013, 11:51 am

I know I complained a lot when I first got steamrolled by 3 Direhorn teams. Making my own 3 Direhorn team gave me the opportunity to learn from others just how easily a 3 Direhorn team can be beaten.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » July 5th, 2013, 1:36 pm

If you are getting beaten by a team one of the best ways to learn how to beat the team that is beating you is to make that team and play it. The best ways to learn the weakness's of a pet are to use it yourself. The best ways to learn the weakness's of a team is to play it yourself. Multiple teams are key.