Rare Pet Collecting...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Lage77
Pet Score:2249
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us
Rare Pet Collecting...

Post by Lage77 » June 22nd, 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm a rare pet collector. Stats are higher, it's more challenging and rewarding when you get one. The downside is others collecting these have a tendency to kill everything in a zone. It's inconsiderate to other pet collectors and contributes to the days of of waiting on spawns. Feel free to start a battle with every pet on the map, just don't kill them all. Take the health hit and be courteous to others. I do.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Re: Rare Pet Collecting...

Post by Jadax » June 22nd, 2013, 11:39 pm

The reason people kill non-rares is to force more spawns. This is not a problem for the overwhelming majority of wild pets, as they have remarkably short respawn timers.
On top of that, most collectors will be looking for rares anyway, so killing non-rares just saves everyone time.

Obviously, no one should be killing Minfernals, or Unborn Val'Kyrs. No one is advocating that. But in almost all cases, killing non-rares is not only acceptable, it's the best course of action. I even did it with my Rodent Crate, and we ended up seeing around 20 rares, as the respawn is instant.

So... you should probably climb down from that high horse before you hurt yourself.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » June 23rd, 2013, 2:13 am

What Jadax said.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 23rd, 2013, 7:17 am

Think people have forgotten theres something called upgrade stones. All what matters is just to find a desirable breed.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 23rd, 2013, 8:07 am

Luciandk wrote:Think people have forgotten theres something called upgrade stones. All what matters is just to find a desirable breed.
Not for people who don't care about breeds...
Or for people who want to save all their stones for the pets that can't be caught rare, or are too rare to reliably farm.
Or even for people who consider wild rare farming a worthy challenge.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » June 23rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

Luciandk wrote:Think people have forgotten theres something called upgrade stones. All what matters is just to find a desirable breed.
Assuming you want all your pets to be rare pets, it woul require a lot of stones to be able to upgrade all of them, and the stones are somewhat rare. So i assume most people will just try and find the pets from pet battle as rare, and use their stones to upgrade the pets that cant be gotten as rare in any other way.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » June 23rd, 2013, 9:09 pm

When hunting for rares I have the policy of always leaving at least two spawns up in case someone is just trying to fill out their collection. For most pets that still leaves a lot of spawn points for me to try to cultivate into rares. Now of course on the really rare spawns I leave them alone, I mean intentionally killing the Qiraji Guardlings when there's a ton of people around who just want one, any one, of any breed is being a jerk.

On common spawn pets I will kill (and leave at least a couple up) though because hey, all those poor quality pets aren't going to magically turn themselves into rares.

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » June 24th, 2013, 1:17 am

Ok, the way I work it:

I care about both rarity AND breed. I work on rarity first THEN breed. The reason being is RNG gives me stuff all stones. So, I won't pass up a rare of a 'not so good' breed to take a 'better' breed of a lesser quality that I cannot stone in the foreseeable future.

When I battle, if there's a rare in the mix, I'll leave that spawn up regardless.

Generally, if there's an Uncommon, I'll leave that pet up too, unless it's the rare occasion that I'm trying to force respawns.

But if a battle comes through with nothing but commons and poors, I nuke that baby into the ground. I only wish someone else had done the same for me to have saved me the hassle!

My exceptions are the super rare spawns - Valks, Fernals, Whelps, Qiraji etc. For those, I save the precious stones I have to bring them to rare quality and most other people I know have done the same. So it's all about the breed, not about the rarity.

Arji
MVP
Pet Score:11906
BattleTag®:Arji#2548
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Arji » June 26th, 2013, 8:38 am

Fully agree with Ishildur and Aislinge - kill gray, white, mark rares or uncommon ones and leave them be. same with ultrarares. and always make sure there's some left

(( plus I ask around if someone on my list is missing that rare that I have in front of me and don't need
[Like when searching for pet that's usually in second spot or a certain breed] )) but that's just the social softy me
°° Swiss (-German) °° @Home on Lothar (EU) Horde [German] and
Silvermoon (EU) Alliance [English] (EU warcraftpets Guild)

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » June 26th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Holy cow, is leaving a spawn up that common of a practice?? I feel very rude now... I'm usually lvling buddies while I look for rares, so I always kill and move on unless someone else is actively in the area (or I'm checking out something like Tiny Bog Beasts).

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » June 27th, 2013, 3:05 am

I *never* leave wild pets up, unless I know for a fact someone is looking for something there. Otherwise every non-rare is a wasted spawn and it dies. Benefit to being on a dead server I guess.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » June 27th, 2013, 3:35 am

Are you talking about rare quality pets... or rare spawns (such as the Minfernal)?

Because I treat them differently.

If it is a rare spawn, I never kill even a poor quality because someone is sure to want it.

If it is not a rare spawn, then they are fair game to kill... and I may even just nuke them if they share a spawn table with something I want.

An example would be the maggots and cockroaches in Undercity. When I was looking for an Undercity Rat, I just nuked the maggots and cockroaches without even looking since they share a spawn table with the rats.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » June 27th, 2013, 1:47 pm

OK is there something..an add-on, maybe...that will tell me if a pet is a rare quality BEFORE I engage it? And, is there any way to find out the quality of the second/third pets before the battle is engaged? Obviously, I would not want to kill a rare quality pet that someone else might need. Nor do I want to kill even the common/uncommon versions of rare spawns that someone else might be seeking.

If i do engage a battle and abandon it, I lose 10% health...but, does this leave the rare spawn in the area for someone else, or does it disappear? (I would prefer to not have to engage/abandon, if I could ID the pet quality before the battle).

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » June 27th, 2013, 2:16 pm

I do the following:

1. If it's a rare spawn like the Minfernal or the Unborn I took the first one I got regardless of breed and have never been back to try for a more optimal breed. (Might do that eventually but not yet)

2. If I am leveling pets I usually level them in places where the spawn rate is pretty fast. Like at some of the Fabled pet battle places. A few of them have 4 to 6? spawns and I can battle the same family with the possibility of getting critter or beast stones depending. I usually kill them all because I am leveling pets, plus normally there's no one there. I also use this to level alts so for me it's all about xp. If someone else is farming and they are horde I ask what they are looking for and will disengage if it's something they are looking for since everything is rare except for duplicates.

3. I ask people in my guild if they are looking for specific rares and if so I hold the pet for them until they get there.

4. I don't really care about the health hit because 900 plus bandages take up so much room I use them when ever I can so in this I'm lucky.

5. I found farming rares when I was doing that fun with a friend - we could help each other alot faster collecting rares then by ourselves.

I think anything is fair game except for killing rare spawns

Just my 2 cents. If you are looking for something and I'm leveling pets let me know I can always crz you and help.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » June 27th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Breehit wrote:OK is there something..an add-on, maybe...that will tell me if a pet is a rare quality BEFORE I engage it? And, is there any way to find out the quality of the second/third pets before the battle is engaged? Obviously, I would not want to kill a rare quality pet that someone else might need. Nor do I want to kill even the common/uncommon versions of rare spawns that someone else might be seeking.

If i do engage a battle and abandon it, I lose 10% health...but, does this leave the rare spawn in the area for someone else, or does it disappear? (I would prefer to not have to engage/abandon, if I could ID the pet quality before the battle).

There is no addon that will tell you the quality before it's engaged.

There is noway to know what the 2nd and 3rd pets are even going to be (nevermind the quality) before engaging the 1st pet so that can't happen either.

If you engage a pet in a wild battle and don't kill any of the pets at all and forfeit the fight then it will respawn the same pet in the same place with the same rarity. BUT if you kill the primary pet then it will NOT respawn.

If you are hunting for a rare quality pet what I usually do is keep one team just for forfeiting. They will loose 10%hp per forfeit down to 10%hp and then they stop (so your pets will never fully die to forfeiting) and when I do find a rare quality I forfeit and then swap to my capture team.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » June 27th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Thanks, Dragonwizard. The special "forfeit team" is a good solution. It also helps me to know that I can't kill any of the pets before I forfeit if I want the wild pets to respawn. Great response! :D