Forfeiting at the start

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us
Forfeiting at the start

Post by Violetfemme » June 26th, 2013, 6:11 am

I completed my weekly "What we've been training for" quest yesterday because I had my last 4 battles be forfeits right at the beginning. Other than the case of having just faced the same opponent and knowing that you can't defeat them, I don't understand why someone would forfeit. Twice that same team forfeited to my team, without even trying. I was trying to look at the team make-ups and it didn't look like the opposing team was at a disadvantage to my team (like weak abilities vs strong abilities). I love seeing a strong team (like all tcg or pet store teams) and seeing if I can defeat them. And then once you know the strategy, you often can try something else if you come up against them again.

As an aside to this, even though you win the match...it doesn't appear that you have the same chance at loot (stones, bandages, charms, etc) for a forfeit win as opposed to a full battle win. Is this true?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Forfeiting at the start

Post by Luciandk » June 26th, 2013, 6:21 am

I usually forfeit against obnoxious staller teams, unless my team have a definite advantage against them.

Then its important to wait a little, dont reque instantly or you might get paired with them again.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 26th, 2013, 6:31 am

I was working on my 10th win for the quest. Got a really tough team that tore me apart. I didn't even kill 1 of his pets. Got him the next match as well. This time, I beat him. You won't learn if you don't try. I see no reason to forfeit. Guess this is why some of us go 10-1 or something similar and others don't.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » June 26th, 2013, 7:01 am

Violetfemme wrote:I completed my weekly "What we've been training for" quest yesterday because I had my last 4 battles be forfeits right at the beginning.
Maybe they didn't like one of your pet? People don't like the crawdad, idol, trihorns, ragnaros, ...
Maybe they tried to get matched against a friend to trade wins for the weekly (I was once paired 4 times in a row against an opponent with a blue, a green and a grey pet who always forfeited immediately. But yeah, it's somehow amazing that someone leveled a grey pet to 25. :-)).

Violetfemme
Top Rater

Post by Violetfemme » June 26th, 2013, 7:33 am

Luciandk wrote:I usually forfeit against obnoxious staller teams, unless my team have a definite advantage against them.

Then its important to wait a little, dont reque instantly or you might get paired with them again.
Interestingly, I do have a stall team, however I was not using it. I was using a weather effect team, which can be pretty strong, but it certainly has been beaten often enough too. I am not dedicated enough to use my stall team to its full advantage (because of boredom), so I rarely use it.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 26th, 2013, 7:43 am

I will instantly forfeit against crawdad teams and some (not all) sandstorm teams. I don't have that kind of time and frankly, I gain nothing of value from playing with those people. There's no learning, challenge, or fun in it for me. They get their win, which is sometimes annoying because some people undoubtedly run stall teams to troll, but better that than deprive people who genuinely want to use tanky teams as a matter of strategy of opportunities to win.

I will sometimes instantly forfeit against teams I've lost to several times already, or who I just know I can't beat and I'm in a hurry. Again, they get their win, I see no reason to waste everyone's time.

Usually though I will put up a fight even against teams that seem impossible for my team to beat, because as has been mentioned, there are teaching moments in most losses.

Violetfemme
Top Rater

Post by Violetfemme » June 26th, 2013, 10:51 am

It's funny. I created my stall team because one day I kept getting matched with an opponent who had a stall team and I wanted to prove a point. I only saw that other stall team one more time and haven't seen it since. But I am keeping mine around on the chance that I start getting matched with the same stall team (or others) over and over again. I much prefer fast, fairly matched fights to any fight that involves stalling or some form of overheals/rebirths for each team member.

I think the only reason I have ever forfeited at the start is getting that same stall team over and over or because of a need to go afk for a few mins.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » June 26th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Some people that forfeit right away is because they are currently stats padding the 10 wins with a mate. If they don't meet each other, they forfeit/leave queue and re-queue up at the same time. Chances are high this way to meet each other and you take turns to forfeit for each other. A forfeit counts as a win for the opponent and still rewards all items.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » June 26th, 2013, 8:28 pm

I forfeit vs stall teams too (especially rabbit teams), or teams that are stacked specifically for my team, or sometimes vs teams that I'm seeing for the 4th or 5th time in a row.

Though I have fought stall teams, even a couple with the "block self or opponent next 2 attacks". For those I simply keep passing until he breaks his own barrier. Though that didn't work this one time, where I attacked after the 73rd pass, and then beat him anyway. :lol:

Demoiselle
Pet Score:2013
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Demoiselle » June 27th, 2013, 11:41 am

& everybody's pet peeves are different.

I don't mind stall teams, but if I see a team that has 2 force-switchers, I often quit. Right now, I just don't have the strategy to work around the force-switches, especially the ones that plant bombs and switch.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 27th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Only run up against a stall team once but I had the right makeup to beat it (flying vs. Pinchy, an aquatic vs. elementals) so I wasn't stalled for long.

I agree about the 3x force switch teams. I really just want to run as soon as I see that. Or 3x direhorn teams. I just don't feel like I can make any headway with those.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 27th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Demoiselle wrote: if I see a team that has 2 force-switchers, I often quit.
I run with 2 swap pets sometimes (Imp and Spider), and I'm not all that hard to beat. :D

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 27th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I am currently having an issue with occasionally not being able to act for two or three turns when starting a battle.

If that happens, my first pet usually dies through no fault of my own. Then I forfeit.