5.0.4 Summon Random Pet

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us
5.0.4 Summon Random Pet

Post by Quintessence » August 29th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Post-patch 5.0.4 the script for summoning a random vanity pet doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know if there is a new one and what it is? I know I could always resort to an addon for summoning a random pet, but I prefer to stick with macros.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: 5.0.4 Summon Random Pet

Post by Lysi » August 31st, 2012, 11:18 am

I did some googling, and many people are asking this question! But no one seems able to come up with a workable macro. A macro to dismiss your critter works, but summoning it doesn't. One person speculated pet macros were disabled so they wouldn't interfere with pet battles.

I wonder if the problem is how the game identifies individual companions now..? You're not just summoning by the pet name, because that's multiple entities on the companion list.

I'll let you know if I find anything..
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 2nd, 2012, 1:06 pm

found one!

/run local t={}for i=1,select(2,C_PetJournal.GetNumPets(false))do tinsert(t,(C_PetJournal.GetPetInfoByIndex(i)))end C_PetJournal.SummonPetByID(t[random(#t)])

from http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5207533938

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 2nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

Thank you so much!!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Kaelys
Top Rater
Pet Score:5070
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Kaelys » September 2nd, 2012, 9:15 pm

thank you so much!

i came on here tonight looking for this exact thing.

Brentwahn
Pet Score:3284
BattleTag®:Brentwahn#6412
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Brentwahn » September 27th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Awesome - thanks!

It doesn't seem to work with every mouseclick... I'm wondering if it looks at your whole list when trying to summon a pet, rather than just the pets you possess.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 27th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Brentwahn wrote:Awesome - thanks!

It doesn't seem to work with every mouseclick... I'm wondering if it looks at your whole list when trying to summon a pet, rather than just the pets you possess.
One thing that happened even with the old random pet macro, if you re-summon exactly the same pet you already have out, it will disappear instead of something new being summoned (because summon and dismiss are the same command).

If you mean your pet reappears but it stays the same pet, it would mean a duplicate of that pet on the list was called.

If I've used search to find a pet on the list, let's say I searched the term "Tiny" so my list is only showing copies of Tiny Sporebat, Tiny Snowman, Tiny Flamefly, and Tiny Shale Spider--when I click the random macro (even after closing the list), it will now only give me one of those Tiny pets. That makes it both more apt to get the same pet twice in a row, and more apt to get exactly the same pet which would make it disappear.

Now lets say I use the search to trim the list down to only things I don't have, like I put in "Sifang" and I don't have those otters. When I summon nothing happens, the pet I already have out doesn't disappear, and nothing happens if I didn't have a pet out yet.

In that case, I think nothing happens because there are no pets to choose from, as far as the program is concerned. I haven't really noticed that happening when a search isn't restricting the list, I don't think the program is normally trying to summon unlearned pets.