Death to the Direhorns!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Hargrid
Pet Score:6715
Realm:Antonidas-eu
Death to the Direhorns!

Post by Hargrid » June 20th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Thank you Blizzard :*
Trihorn Charge damage has been reduced by 11.5% and now has a 1-round cooldown.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Death to the Direhorns!

Post by Poofah » June 20th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Down to 23 base damage, 85% accuracy: so 19.55 expected damage, going first. Compared to Surge: 15 base damage, 100% accuracy.

With the 325 power Stunted Direhorn:

current Trihorn Charge = (26/20)(345) = 449
new Trihorn Charge = (23/30)(345) = 397

The rumors of Direhorn's death seem premature.

Hargrid
Pet Score:6715
Realm:Antonidas-eu

Post by Hargrid » June 20th, 2013, 5:43 pm

You forget the 1-Round cooldown and the 85% accuracy. Today i got steamrolled by a team of 2 Runts and 1 Stunted. The 1st Runt almosted killed 2 of my Pets by only spamming the charge. This will be over with the next patch...

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 20th, 2013, 6:27 pm

They dramatically needed a tone down, so its a good nerf.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 20th, 2013, 6:33 pm

The aoe slow and interrupt annoy me the most.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » June 20th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Hargrid wrote:You forget the 1-Round cooldown and the 85% accuracy. Today i got steamrolled by a team of 2 Runts and 1 Stunted. The 1st Runt almosted killed 2 of my Pets by only spamming the charge. This will be over with the next patch...
Next patch they'll be forced to use Primal Cry and alternate Trihorn Charge with Horn Attack, which does similar damage. It's only a ~10% nerf on Trihorn Charge damage (it's already at 85% accuracy, but maybe your opponent got lucky with misses).

It's good that they're nerfing them, and the change will knock them down a peg, but it's not like Direhorns are going to suddenly be weak. They can't Trihorn-charge-spam you to death any more, but their damage is still higher than most pets and they still have all their tricks (priority attack, speed reduction, turn skipping). My guess is that they will be less overpowered, but still overpowered. But hopefully the nerf is enough to get them under control.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 21st, 2013, 2:02 am

I'm still waiting for Primal Cry nerf. Eyeblast, Hiss, Screech, Whirlwind. This ability has no right to have any damage tied to it.

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 21st, 2013, 7:13 am

Why bothering with primal cry, pygmy direhorn is fast enough in most cases, and the shield even blocks strong multi attacks like batter, turrents etc the shield is way over scaled, it blocks up to 280 dmg.

If you set up shield during sandstorm, you get like a 100 Dmg per attack ... ridiculous

Wolfson
Pet Score:9340
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Wolfson » June 23rd, 2013, 7:06 am

Imo they're nerfing the wrong ability. Trihorn Charge hurts, but the real op ability is Horn Attack, which makes it so difficult to fight back. Imo, the right nerf would be to up the cd on Horn Attack to 2 rounds.

I mean, every time I've fought a team with a Direhorn, they've always alternated Horn/Charge/Horn/Charge/etc., with Primal Cry as needed. Adding a cd to Trihorn Charge won't impact that at all.

Khayah

Post by Khayah » June 25th, 2013, 5:05 am

You should really try Trihorn Shield on Stunted Direhorn it even blocks Bombing Run thus also avoiding the bomb explosion that "cannot be avoided" ... it is just ridiculous.

It is lame as hell but until 5.4 hits, just spamming charge will win you most matches, and using shield even annoys more.

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » June 25th, 2013, 5:31 am

Is it such problem? :shock:
I just killed teams with direhorns in common order. My usual team includes yellow mosh, giant bone spider, emperior crab. I remember just 1 time I got problem with direhorn.

Andysocial
MVP
Pet Score:8489
BattleTag®:andysocial#1653
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Andysocial » June 25th, 2013, 6:28 am

I currently run a team that consists of 2 Direhorn and Lil' Ragnaros. This team has been awesome for me and I have won more times than not and I feel they are nerfing the wrong ability. I always make sure I am faster and cast horn attack when I know the other side will not die. I think that ability should have the chance to stun reduced to 25% or longer cooldown. I could be wrong, won't know till next patch but I don't think this will change anything for me.

Khayah

Post by Khayah » June 25th, 2013, 10:42 am

You can push it even further, qiraj guardling in s/s with stun+ sandstorm and a direhorn with shield, your opponent will likely do sth like 500 dmg in 5 turns, sandstorm + shield block lots of attacks and after the shield runs out, stun cooldown should be ready

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » June 25th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Andysocial wrote:I currently run a team that consists of 2 Direhorn and Lil' Ragnaros.
I just formed such a team. I am calling them Larry, Daryll and Daryll :)

Iskren
Pet Score:1885
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Iskren » June 27th, 2013, 4:42 pm

this pet is so broken ...its like Idol/flayer before reflection nerf ...well may be not that OP but its close

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » July 13th, 2013, 6:14 am

Something crazy going with derehorns. Esterday I saw every second team with 1 or 2 of them and one - all 3 direhorns! Easy won all battles. What ppl find in it?

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » July 13th, 2013, 6:36 am

i love trying out tons of different pets in pvp, to keep me interested and seeing how they interact and stuff... but these direhorn teams, ugh... Lately, i've been either seeing double direhorn teams, or swapping teams (undead spider, imp, broom etc) which makes it really hard to play with anything but a counter for one of them. Somethimes, i feel like i'm depending on inexperienced pvp'rs to get my weekly wins >_<

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » July 13th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts, if you like cheap wins that is.

1) Buy 3 H/H Direhorn Runts off AH
2) Queue for pet battle
3) Close your eyes and press 1 until you win

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 14th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Papazol wrote:Something crazy going with derehorns. Esterday I saw every second team with 1 or 2 of them and one - all 3 direhorns! Easy won all battles. What ppl find in it?
It is a braindead team that will get you 25-50% win rate. It is for people who do not like pvp pet battles at 25, but want to get to 250 wins for the achievement pet. Honestly, I was almost going to do it because my first few experiences with pvp battles were a few players simply out to annoy ( full heal-tank teams that selected moves at the very last second). Then someone suggested an interesting team concept, and I have had great success with it. But I still see the draw of the direhorn or runt teams... they are very easy to play.. and you will win enough to make decent progress towards 250. For a lot of people, it is like the children´s week pvp thing.. they just want it to be over with, and those easy teams will get the job done.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 14th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Nagini wrote:i love trying out tons of different pets in pvp, to keep me interested and seeing how they interact and stuff... but these direhorn teams, ugh... Lately, i've been either seeing double direhorn teams, or swapping teams (undead spider, imp, broom etc) which makes it really hard to play with anything but a counter for one of them. Somethimes, i feel like i'm depending on inexperienced pvp'rs to get my weekly wins >_<
That is the secret to these types of games. You need to find a team that is a counter to what you are seeing the most often. There are a lot of counter teams to direhorns, but that team will get blown up against many other teams. I actually went up against a team and destroyed it.. and then I started thinking about how incredibly strong that team would be against direhorns and runt teams. Yeah, the guy lost to me, but he probably destroys 9 other players in a row.