7 Wolpertingers, now what?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Snowpaws
Pet Score:2425
Realm:Feathermoon-us
7 Wolpertingers, now what?

Post by Snowpaws » August 29th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Okay, now that I've logged in each character, I have 7 Wolpertingers (and many other duplicates). I understand with MoP, it will get reduced to 3 of each. *Why* do I want/need 3 of any pet? Do pets get stolen? Do they die and never come back? Am I supposed to do something with my 4 extra Wolpertingers before MoP? Isn't one of each pet good enough now that they're shared between all of my characters? I'm so confused. I'm hoping someone on this forum understands and can explain.

Thank you

Paladiac
Pet Score:9583

Re: 7 Wolpertingers, now what?

Post by Paladiac » August 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm

anything over 3 is definitely unncessary. And you have 2 options right now - either (a) delete the excess pets or (b) once MoP drops, cage and sell it on the AH. Many, many of the excess pets are going to really be worthless on the AH, since there will be a lot of people with dupes, and holiday pets like this can be gotten next holiday. Also, keeping all the excess pets creates a lot of bag space to use (maybe even creating an extra banker just for pets!!). So really, it all comes down to whether or not you want to try to sell the excess pets or not.

As for the 2nd and 3rd pets - personally, I cannot say if there is any real reason to have more than 1 of a pet, at least not until the chance to use the official pet battles (who really knows what all may have, or will, change from Beta). So again, you may want to delete, or wait and cage them.

For myself, with over 900 combined pets now (many, many 7x), I plan to delete all common dupes first off, and then decide what to do with the rest. I want to get under the 500 cap, and I think I have a lot of common dupe pets that can be removed (as there is no real value in wasting the time or effort in trying to AH them, as far as I see it).

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » August 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Snowpaws wrote:*Why* do I want/need 3 of any pet?
Once Pet Battles is unlocked in MoP, we'll be able to create a team of three pets. The option to have three of the same pet on one team is there, should anyone choose to run with that idea.

I have yet to try a team with 3x a pet, so I can't say if it's viable or efficient, but it could be a bit entertaining for the battlers involved. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Snowpaws
Pet Score:2425

Post by Snowpaws » August 29th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Thank you, Quintessence. I now understand why we get 3.

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » August 29th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Also having the ability to have upto 3 of the same pet could be viable for being able to farm...for rarer quality pets, if we wasn't allowed to have more than one, then it would be annoying tossing every pet out after every battle.

There might even be rarities on pets that might be different on your pets right now....but you can't see individual rarities until Pet Battles comes out. :x

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » August 29th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Don't some of the wild pets have multiple colors with the same name in the wild? Wouldn't that be another reason to have three, a pet look you can't get any other way?

I have a question, though, about the sequence of events here.. I've heard you "have to" be down to 3 of each pet by the time MoP hits, and yet you can't cage pets until after it drops. I'm confused. Will I have a chance to cage pets over 3 or not? For example, right now I have 9 black tabbies. So I either have to set 6 free or they will be gone September 25 anyway, and then I'll only have 2 extra I can give away or sell? Are there any blue posts on this?
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » August 29th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Lysi wrote:Don't some of the wild pets have multiple colors with the same name in the wild? Wouldn't that be another reason to have three, a pet look you can't get any other way?
Yea, having three slots for the same pet opens up the possibility of collecting the same one with different skins or even different qualities. For example, you capture a common wild pet but would prefer a rare quality one. Instead of having to release that common one right away, you can hang onto it and try for another of the same one. :)

Lysi wrote:I have a question, though, about the sequence of events here.. I've heard you "have to" be down to 3 of each pet by the time MoP hits, and yet you can't cage pets until after it drops. I'm confused. Will I have a chance to cage pets over 3 or not? For example, right now I have 9 black tabbies. So I either have to set 6 free or they will be gone September 25 anyway, and then I'll only have 2 extra I can give away or sell? Are there any blue posts on this?
I haven't seen any official word about this yet, but I've heard this rumor as well. Hopefully this will be clarified prior to MoP.

Update: According to a [url=https://twitter.com/perksnpeeves/status/241013504755253250]Tweet response from Mumper[/url], no, pets will not be automatically removed in MoP if you haven't fallen below the 500 or 3x cap. This means if you currently have 10 of a pet, you'll be able to retain them once MoP goes live and cage them for trade/sale.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » August 29th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Quintessence wrote:Update: According to a [url=https://twitter.com/perksnpeeves/status/241013504755253250]Tweet response from Mumper[/url], no, pets will not be automatically removed in MoP if you haven't fallen below the 500 or 3x cap. This means if you currently have 10 of a pet, you'll be able to retain them once MoP goes live and cage them for trade/sale.
Thank you for looking into that. It will be nice to be able to give some to guild mates, and trade. Well, I guess I still have a lot of work to do, sorting and unleashing the common pets. I'll go release a bunch of cats by Donni Anthania's house, bring a plague of frogs to Uldum, and what do do with all these snakes... Oh, I bet Harrison Jones would love them!
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Chrisski
Pet Score:9383
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Chrisski » August 30th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the info on the extra pets. I was really afraid they'd just delete the extra pets over 3, which would suck since we can't currently cage the extra ones. Is the tweet from a source that knows for sure? A blue post would def allieviate the fears lol!
Thanks again for keeping us so informed w/ all these changes...
A crazy pet collector.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » August 30th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Chrisski wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the info on the extra pets. I was really afraid they'd just delete the extra pets over 3, which would suck since we can't currently cage the extra ones. Is the tweet from a source that knows for sure? A blue post would def allieviate the fears lol!
Thanks again for keeping us so informed w/ all these changes...
A crazy pet collector.
Yes, Mumper is a credible source. He's one of the lead content designer for WoW and often posts on the Pet Battles Beta forums. :)

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » August 30th, 2012, 10:08 pm

You could always simply Cage them once MoP rolls about and give them to newer players, or you could fatten them up in levels and sell them in the AH to someone who's looking for a quick way through pet battles...?