Top dot pets?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Pokemon
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us
Top dot pets?

Post by Pokemon » June 19th, 2013, 2:34 am

I feel like making a team of all damage over time pets. What pets would you suggest for such a team? Thanks!

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Re: Top dot pets?

Post by Dash » June 19th, 2013, 4:50 am

You can have a pretty diverse team since all families have pets that can throw at least one dot, often two, including eggs, rocks and nuts barrages, and cyclone while we're at it ... but what I'm thinking though is it may require a bit of swapping to be efficent, especially if you're up against hard hitters. Then again, teams that use the force swap technique would get what they ask for :p

You could also add some evading and / or healing abilities in the mix.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 19th, 2013, 4:55 am

Raptor Jesus with Black Claw is a must, most Oozes, Clockwork Gnome with turret, Tainted Waveling, pets with Immolation or Death and Decay, maybe Call Lightning pet (Sunreaver Sentry have it and a dot, or Thundering Serpent Hatchling with Cyclone). Do note, any team with Sandstorm and/or shell shield will hard counter it and grind it into the ground.

And most swap teams are using dots themselves, together with having speed advantage most of the time, so it's rather hard to kill them unless they make silly mistakes.

Darkalucard
Top Rater
Pet Score:2353
BattleTag®:Alucard#2966
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Darkalucard » June 19th, 2013, 5:03 am

Mini diablo!

Eutectic
Pet Score:1465
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Post by Eutectic » June 19th, 2013, 6:32 am

Been playing a lot of this one lately. (A dot based team). I'd recommend the following:

Some sort of "adds damage to eack attack/spell" attack

At least one lightning (adds lightning tick to each dot)

At least one "always on no matter the front pet dot" (I.e. death & Decay)

An elemental dot for countering clockbots (which are going to be strong against you.)

When possible, have your non dot attacks be multi-attacks.

Pokemon

Post by Pokemon » June 19th, 2013, 6:39 am

Eutectic wrote:Been playing a lot of this one lately. (A dot based team). I'd recommend the following:

Some sort of "adds damage to eack attack/spell" attack

At least one lightning (adds lightning tick to each dot)

At least one "always on no matter the front pet dot" (I.e. death & Decay)

An elemental dot for countering clockbots (which are going to be strong against you.)

When possible, have your non dot attacks be multi-attacks.
Are there any particular pets you would recommend?

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 19th, 2013, 9:02 am

I have a decent lighnting team with zandalari toenibbler/clockwork gnome/yeti

- BUT as black claw is really a must have, you need a fast one because it is a no brainer for every average opponent to switch to another pet if you debuff him.

- Lightning + any beast is very situational to play, the toenibbbler has just 1250 hp, he will drop very fast, so it is not easy to play, you can play lightning - a turrent - black claw - flank (or primal cry, that is situational as well) if the toenibbler catches any dot it will be dead very soon due to lightning, so eventually you have to set up lightning later considering the opponents line up.

- Alternatively play with an fiendish imp in 5/15, immolation first, a turrent, black claw + xy

- 2nd alternative could be hoppling in 5/15, i hate this pet and it has a strong dot per so, but no real team synergy in opposite of fiendish imp/yeti

although serpents have also lightning and cyclone which can be devastating to the opponents team if you are lucky, i wouldn't recommend usng a serpent for lightning as it is a really weak pet in the late game where as the yeti using lightning+ ion cannon one shots every living pet and the imp is strong as well if played right

in general i wouldn't recommend playing such a team right now, direhorn runts are to strong, in nearly every team is an anub idol and as you play a rather fix rotation especially with the lightning setup, any switcher pet will screw you up. your only chance to avoid this is to open with fiendish imp and nether portal to annoy your opponent and to get a "free" immolation cast.

Shinsui
Pet Score:12453
Realm:Nathrezim-us

Post by Shinsui » June 19th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I've recently been looking at the frosty pet with its blistering cold ability. It's like to try out a team with it, a pet that can root, and possibly a dot boosting pet or one that can tank/heal

Ehache
Pet Score:3614
Realm:Ravenholdt-us

Post by Ehache » June 19th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Bone Spider! *dot* *dot w/ Heal* *Force Swap* /repeat. The dots will work in the back row and tear up Mechs like nobody's business. I can usually get 2 enemy pets close to dead before my Spider keels over, then I send in my direhorn to clean up the mess.

Pokemon

Post by Pokemon » June 20th, 2013, 12:41 am

With some of the advice I received from this thread I came up with this team. Let me know if there is anyway I can improve on it. Thanks! :)

1. Mountain Panda - Scratch/Rock Barrage/Burrow
2. Fossilized Hatchling - Claw/Death and Decay/BONESTORM
3. Tranquil Mechanical Yeti - Metal Fist/Call Lightning/Supercharge

Shandu
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Shandu » June 20th, 2013, 9:16 am

PP Jade Ooze does a lot of damage, but most teams I see which focus on "dot" attacks usually have the following;

A Call Lightning pet (Wild hatchling or yeti)
Clockwork Gnome for double turrets
Either a Cyclone pet, or possibly a swarm type pet like the Little dinos using black claw.

The damage they can put out when Lightning is up and those turrets is kind of insane, but of course Shields and Sandstorm prevalence kind of makes it a nuke or be nuked team. (Almost every team i come across has an idol in it which alone could wreck the whole team, unless you throw a bone spider in there for utility/grip plus his DOT)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 20th, 2013, 9:34 am

Try a Sunreaver Micro Sentry. Comes with Fel Immolate and Call Lightning, which combos up extremely well.

Eutectic
Pet Score:1465
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Post by Eutectic » June 20th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Luciandk wrote:Try a Sunreaver Micro Sentry. Comes with Fel Immolate and Call Lightning, which combos up extremely well.
That's one I use too. Shields, too for bring tanky is nice

Hazelnuttygames
Pet Score:11798
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Hazelnuttygames » June 21st, 2013, 6:22 pm

I've done really well with my Effervescent Glowfly. The speed bonus from flying means you can usually get your dots up before you get stunned/poly'ed/etc. You can use Glowing Toxin and Confusing Sting in the same battle, which is nice.