Blue Carp before 5.4?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us
Blue Carp before 5.4?

Post by Breehit » June 17th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I am trying to snag a Blue Carp before 5.4 ruins the Vale. I am not having any luck, even though I am fishing for hours in the spots that the pet add-ons suggest. Does anybody know the best spots in the Vale to get the Blue Carp? Obviously, I am doing something wrong? :?

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Re: Blue Carp before 5.4?

Post by Domie » June 17th, 2013, 2:28 pm

How many catches do you think youve had? ive heard of people having 1000+ without getting a carp, so perhaps you just have hit gold yet :)

Breehit

Post by Breehit » June 17th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Could be...I probably have only about 800-900 casts in the Vale at the moment. I was hoping to be as efficient as possible, and not to waste casts in spots that are known to be unproductive. My relationship with RNG is lousy - the RNG gods apparently hate me - so I wondered if people knew which locations are actually "stocked" with Blue Carp.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » June 17th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Should probaly have mentioned this before, but if you are unsure about the place you are fishing, i would go to El's Anglin' and double check it there, its a pretty sweet side for fishing info :)

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » June 18th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Don't know if this helps, but I caught mine from the pond right behind Aki.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » June 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I got mine from the Fish of the Day pool. It spawns near Aki and I was just fishing the Big Pool to get the Krakken guy to spawn, I was hoping for the fishing book to give an alt 50 fishing points. I caught it on a character with 240ish fishing. Had no gear on and was fishing with with no rod (the freebie stick). I was maybe 20 casts in when I got it. I would love to say it was this easy for all of them but I probably spent a couple thousand casts getting the other 3 carps.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Breehit

Post by Breehit » June 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Grats, Morlis!!! :D
Actually, what you said is encouraging. I had gone to the Extreme Anglin site, and they indicated that only people with fishing skill of 850...yes, thats right, 250 more than the "max" of 600...could hope to snag a carp pet. Apparently, Blizz has set it so that most casts, even with fishing skill of 600, will net Golden Carp (until you hit the 850 skill level). Golden Carp casts cannot bring up a carp pet. People can only reach this 850 skill level with gear from winning the Stanglethorn Extravaganza. Extreme Anglin called this "Excess Carp" (essentially, 70%-80% of casts will get Golden Carp), and said that this is intentional. The site notes suggested that if you were at the skill level to get "Excess Carp", you would be SOL for the carp pet.

So, I am thrilled to read that this dire warning is wrong! It may be a very rare chance to find those pets, but at least its not impossible. So, I am going to use my Kaluak pole, my hat, and add a lure, get me to 735 skill, and hope for the best. BTW, I counted the Golden Carp percent when I fished at 735 skill..with 240 casts, the Golden Carp content was 64%.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 18th, 2013, 10:45 pm

If you worry about your fishing skill level, you can just fish out of pools, especially if you have the Padaren fishing charm. All of them can potentially contain a carp, and with the fish of the day thing, it's just easy peasy. I've fished out my 3rd blue carp not long ago, and have already sold a spare white and green one (I'm not going for another red one mainly because fish sell so well on my realm, except for spinefish)

Also, the maximum skill needed to not catch junk (excess golden carp) is 750, not 850, and it only concerns some specific zones.

Breehit

Post by Breehit » June 19th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Thanks for the information, Dash! I am amazed at your luck with getting the carp. I have been religiously fishing the "Fish of the Day" since it became available, and still no carp. I guess RNG is truly random, and some of us will find carp easily and some of us will not. I will keep trying, and go back to working the daily fish pools. I wonder if I need a rabbit's foot? :lol:

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » June 20th, 2013, 9:31 am

The Vale is not the only place to catch the Blue Carp

Per Els Anglin:

Tiny Blue Carp are caught from:

Open water: Inland Vale of Eternal Blossoms (825 skill to cast without catching excess Golden Carp).
Regular pools: Jewel Danio School and Redbelly Mandarin School.
Fish of the Day pools: Mad Qao-Pao (Glimmering Jewel Danio Pool and Large Pool of Glimmering Jewel Danio Pool) and Fields of Niuzao (Crowded Redbelly Mandarin and Large Pool of Crowded Redbelly Mandarin).

So 5.4 will lose the pool spawn in Vale, but not the one in the Fields of Niuzao. Also, Jewel Danio and Redbelly Mandarin schools should still be available elsewhere in the Vale as well as in some areas of Townlong Steppes.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Ujavi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3247
BattleTag®:Ujavi#1801
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Ujavi » June 20th, 2013, 11:29 am

Chrth wrote:The Vale is not the only place to catch the Blue Carp.
I can confirm this. I've caught 2 blue carp, one in Vale and the other in the Fields of Niuzao. Also, the lake in the Fields spawns emperor salmon schools. I did catch a green carp there as well, since emperor salmon schools can spawn those. So if you want a blue carp, but sure to fish the redbelly schools only (although I presume a green carp is fine, too :) ).

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 20th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Ujavi wrote: I've caught 2 blue carp, one in Vale and the other in the Fields of Niuzao.

And thanks for catching that extra!!!! ^.^