Can't wait to find out Epics in 5.4

Share pet collecting news and advice.
PWOKristy
Pet Score:1863
Realm:Azuremyst-us
Can't wait to find out Epics in 5.4

Post by PWOKristy » June 14th, 2013, 5:38 pm

I can't wait 'til they release the couple of Epic pets they said they were gonna release in 5.4. Those are totally going on my Pokemon team.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Can't wait to find out Epics in 5.4

Post by Luciandk » June 14th, 2013, 5:43 pm

So far its speculated that the epic pets will be the mini versions of the pandaren celestials, purchased with timeless coins earned from the tournament.

Sure the epic pets might have better stats than most other pets, but it sure also will depend on their attribute spread as well their final skillsets to just how good they will be. It would be a terrible shame if any of them was B/B. Though being a purple pet, a lot of people is sure to field them in pvp pet battles and hope to win with their 'OP' pet.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 14th, 2013, 9:53 pm

I'm just sad that I'll have to leave one out of a themed team ;_;

PWOKristy

Post by PWOKristy » June 15th, 2013, 1:47 am

Aaah okay. I see. What does "B/B" stand for? Thank you!

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 15th, 2013, 2:37 am

I really doubt they are going to make epic pets better than rare pets. Just creates too many issues for pvp.

Kinda like how they scrapped DKs being ´better´than other classes.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 15th, 2013, 2:39 am

I really don't like the idea. Since they will have higher stats, they will become mandatory to pvp, unless given terrible moveset (which in turn makes 'epic' pets not so epic at all). Didn't they learnt already that any rarity below highest are completely worthless? The only reason grey, white and green pets exist right now is to stone them to rares.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » June 15th, 2013, 2:52 am

I'm also a bit afraid of this. I totally suck at PVP and only manage to win 1 out of 5 battles. So the chance of me winning an epic pet are not that great.
And when people will start using them in their team, I can pretty much say goodbye to PVP completely.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » June 15th, 2013, 2:58 am

I can't imagine they will be very OP, no more than any other pet they finally get around to nerfing later on, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if an epic pet took 2 slots on a team or something.

Nivrax

Post by Nivrax » June 15th, 2013, 3:55 am

If they go with current 'poor = 100%, white = 110%, blue = 130%' then epic will be 140% of trash quality. If you take rare pets to compare, 1.4/1.3 ~= 1.077, so they will be about 8% better (power, speed, health) over existing pets in stats. That should be enough to make them last one extra round over 'mirror' stat pets, on top of going first. In fact, speed might be most problematic part, quite a few pets out there are 325 that require to go first to deal intended damage/use their skillset (think Flayer Youngling). Usually if you had two pets of same speed, it would end up in RNG match. If you get epic pet, he will get 350 speed (and more power/health) making it hard counter the mirror rare.

Speculation: Xuen is a tiger that controls time, I would imagine his speed stat would mirror Cheetah Cub. 1150hp 280p 420s as epic. That is enough to outspeed even some Flyers (anything not x/s).

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » June 15th, 2013, 4:56 am

Considering that we already can beat legendary quality pets with blue quality pets, I dont see that much of a problem. Plus the aspects is not that great a selection of races. 2x Beasts, 1x Dragonkin and 1x Flying.

Mechapets is already quite common in pvp, like Son of Animus or Clockwork Gnome, so they will brutalize Xuen and Niuzao with extra damage.
Magic pets is also fairly common in pvp, like all the dragons with magic attacks that will mollest flyers while remaining resistant to their damage.
And humanoid pets is having their 'star' in the Anubisath idol whom will crush dragonkin.

Hrm, I just realized one thing. An Enchanted Broom using ability 1,2,2 will have counter moves to all 3 types of aspects. Though it might have too many points wasted in speed, being only 325 and possibly getting outspeed by the aspects.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » June 15th, 2013, 5:20 am

I hope when epic pets come out, that they will only be a very minor improvement, like 1-3%, or no improvement at all. it would be a shame if they are just clearly supperior. I also hope that it will extend further than just some pets always being epic, like having a very small % chance on other pets, preferable not on all pets, like rats, bunnies and so on. But i could be cool if things like the Dragon Hatchlings, Unborn Valkyr, Spawn of Onyxia and so on (more unique looking pets if i wasnt clear (: ) could be.
Atleast thats what i think :P

Nivrax

Post by Nivrax » June 15th, 2013, 5:49 am

Luciandk wrote:Considering that we already can beat legendary quality pets with blue quality pets, I dont see that much of a problem.
How many pvp battles you did against/with a green or lower quality pet? How many did you lose/win? ALL tamers in Pandaria uses same pets in same order with scripted skill usage and they never swap them unless they got cced, that allows you to get team that will always counter what they have and use evade skills with 100% efficiency on what you want.

PvE battles are never problem, as seen by ridiculous Beast of Fable being killable by 2 pets most of time. In PvP, you shouldn't require a pet strong against epic just to win against one, most of the time you fight with skills that are not strong nor weak on both sides. And it's where epic pet could have upper paw. Anytime there is pet that is stronger that others it makes terrible meta of teams with this pet and teams with counter to it (see -> Direhorn Runt), which in turn makes majority of 500+ pets available in game not really suitable to battle.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » June 15th, 2013, 6:04 am

Some good points there. And yes, I agree, its terrible for balance to introduce epic pets, but players had screamed for them and blizzard is sadly listening.

But had they introduced epic battle stones, I think a lot of pet battlers would burn out rather fast from having to redo their entire collection and introducing a pvp arms race. Which may be why they only are adding a few epic pets, and you can be sure they will be appearing a lot. So I stand by my point that the meta will shift to include counterpets to all 3 family types.

Nivrax

Post by Nivrax » June 15th, 2013, 6:36 am

Myself, I hoped they would wait with epic stones till next expansion. Just like previous expansion gear gets obsolete, so should pets 'reset', giving players hundreds of hours to sink on once games moves on. But I guess we will see how it looks next patch.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 15th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Luciandk wrote:Considering that we already can beat legendary quality pets with blue quality pets
You are right, on a rare occassion I can beat a legendary pet with 1 of my rare pets. But you know the difference. I am absolutely prepared with the best possible pet to counter that legendary pet. I know in advance what moves he will be making and when. There is a huge difference between that and coming up against an elite pet in a random pvp fight with no idea what slot he will be in and what moves he will make, and only a small chance of having the perfect counter pet on my team.

PWOKristy

Post by PWOKristy » June 15th, 2013, 2:08 pm

What does "B/B" stand for? Thank you!

Shakesbeard
Top Rater
Pet Score:4734
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Shakesbeard » June 15th, 2013, 2:23 pm

PWOKristy wrote:What does "B/B" stand for? Thank you!

[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/[/url]

TL;DR: B/B is a pet breed that has stat points distributed evenly, Balanced. usually balanced is not good, you'd rather have all speed stat if going first is an advantage based on its abilities, all power stat if speed is not an issue.
MADORAN__ <WCP> Shakesbeard
___________<LPL> Factotem
___________<PP> Orcane, Shrecksar, Remoo

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 15th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Nivrax wrote:Myself, I hoped they would wait with epic stones till next expansion. Just like previous expansion gear gets obsolete, so should pets 'reset', giving players hundreds of hours to sink on once games moves on. But I guess we will see how it looks next patch.
I was also hoping that they would wait an expansion before releasing epic pets. More content quicker/sooner is great and all, but that also means burn out will happen a lot quicker/sooner too.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 15th, 2013, 6:11 pm

I don't see a reasonable way in which they could add in epic pets.

If they made epic stones, then all the effort they've put into the flawless stones would be largely wasted. Notice how useful people find the green stones. Also, we'd just have to go through and do what we've been doing with trying to make our pets rares. Just repeat the process. Epic would become the new standard. People would be less willing to use pets if they weren't epic. Just a lot of bad things for very little benefit.

Alternatively, if only specific pets came as rare and no others could be made rare then those epic-only pets are better than all the others and they'd replace pets that can only be up to rare. Slowly at first, but eventually you'd find it hard to want to use any but the epics.

Also, I don't think we know for certain that there are epic pets in 5.4 yet. I've not seen anything other than speculation about the celestial pets. I'm assuming they're just rare.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 15th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Gilneas wrote:Also, I don't think we know for certain that there are epic pets in 5.4 yet. I've not seen anything other than speculation about the celestial pets. I'm assuming they're just rare.
There was a dev interview before 5.3 was released that stated Epic pets were in the works for 5.4, along with an "exciting new way to get them". We don't know that they'll stay true to that, of course, but that's the real basis for the speculation.