A question about grinding and RNG

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gosu2009
Pet Score:1780
Realm:Wrathbringer-eu
A question about grinding and RNG

Post by Gosu2009 » August 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm

hey!

I have read it takes around 1/500 casts to land a magical crawdad or lets 1 in 1000.
I have rarity that keeps track of the number of times I have tried to capture the pet.

Now, do I have to continuosly cast those 500 or 1000 lines in 1 sitting or it can be done over a period of 1 week?
I have noticed how I have tried maybe around a few thousand times more than what's stated as the drop rate but then I do it over a period of time.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: A question about grinding and RNG

Post by Lysi » August 6th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Drop rates are random, those numbers are just an average. It doesn't matter if you do it all at once, or at various times. The crawdad has an additional factor, you need to get Mr Pinchy, and he'll give you 3 "wishes" over 3 days, you might get the Magical Crawdad but you might not (with one outcome you actually get attacked!) If Mr Pinchy doesn't give you a crawdad and you've used up the wishes, you need to fish for another Mr Pinchy and try again (it isn't as hard to get the crawdad as it used to be, though).

This page at El's Extreme Angling has more tips (this website has info on every fishing goal in the game) http://www.elsanglin.com/catching_furious_crawdad.html

On one of my characters I racked up stacks and stacks of Furious Crawdads but never did get Mr Pinchy, on another I fished only a few pools, got Mr Pinchy, and got the crawdad the next day (my second wish). A lot of it is just luck, but you should max out your fishing as much as possible. Use the Weather Beaten Fishing Hat (do fishing dailies to try to get it if you don't have it, you can also get a better fishing pole that way or from the Kalu'ak), enchant a spare pair of gloves with +5 fishing if you can, and most importantly use the highest lure you can get your hands on, the +150 "Heat-Treated Spinning Lure" if you can get it, otherwise use one of the +100 lures. El's Extreme Angling has a page on fishing items, again, basically any kind of fishing info you'd want there. Good luck!
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Gosu2009

Post by Gosu2009 » August 6th, 2012, 11:35 pm

i got pinchy in 317th try or so and got the magical crawdad pet as my 1st wish!

woot....now need to grind the fox kit and sprite darter 147/150 missing 2 argent pets and getting a darkmoon pet in a few mins.
should have the celestial dragon very soon!

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » August 7th, 2012, 12:41 pm

I think one thing to keep in mind about RNG is that it's completely random, even moreso if its Layered RNG, sure it might be a 1 in X chance of getting Mr Pinchy, but that itself has a small chance of rewarding the Magical Clawdad, like i said, it's a layered sort of thing....

As for the Fox Kit, if you don't have bought them already, try to synergise it into doing Tol Borad Dailies so you can get enougth tokens to buy a Rustberg Gull, Horse/Wolf, Drake and Tabard, extra goodies if you're able to pick Herbs, Mine ores or even skinning said Foxes so that at least the kills hasn't been entirely a waste.

Gosu2009

Post by Gosu2009 » August 7th, 2012, 9:12 pm

good point Plucky plus it also makes the grind less mind numbing.