100% Hit Chance Abilities

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Deanht
Top Rater
Pet Score:8163
Realm:Dentarg-us
100% Hit Chance Abilities

Post by Deanht » June 12th, 2013, 5:49 pm

I have been noticing that even if the pets battle ability says that it hits 100% of the time that this is NOT the case. I also have noted that I am not talking about other pets abilities that reduce the hits abilities, like sandstorm or other accuracy specific debuffs. I am talking straight up, no debuffs a 100% ability MISSES!!!

Example: Brittle Web does not always hit it's target even though it says it is a 100% hit chance? Another example is when I use the Darkness ability it says everyone is blinded, I then use the Nocturnal Strike which says it "Will ALWAYS hit when the opponent is blinded". I have used this on Marley in the Flowing Spirit Pet Tamer battle and even use it successfully the first time no problem, the second hit of Nocturnal Strike MISSES even though it is still Darkness???

I have not tested all the abilities like this, but these two stand out and I am concerned that 100% does not actually mean 100% even though it is not hard math...

Anyone else having this issue or similar???

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Re: 100% Hit Chance Abilities

Post by Saasan » June 12th, 2013, 6:30 pm

I'm wondering if there is a dodge chance seperate from hit chance that we are not aware of, because now that you mention, I know that I have seen Brittle Web miss, both my pet and wild pets.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm

The tooltip for Noc Strike is a bit confusing. It will always hit if the target is blinded by an ability that just blinds the target, but does not debuff your accuracy, such as Flash. However, the accuracy debuff from Darkness still applies to you. So if the target is blinded by Darkness, the hit chance of Noc Strike goes up to 100%, but is then reduced to 90% by Darkness.

With regard to Brittle Webbing or other 100% abilities, are the pets you're talking about the same level? Or are you fighting tamers with pets that are level 24 or below? Because the hit chance on the tooltip is reduced by every level below the target - there's no base dodge chance anymore for same level only.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 13th, 2013, 12:39 am

Would it be possible that Brittle Web debuff to have %chance to hit <100%, and the tooltip state only application? Like Confusing Sting triggering only 10% of time.

Deanht
Top Rater
Pet Score:8163
Realm:Dentarg-us

Post by Deanht » June 13th, 2013, 5:10 am

Yes, but I am talking about the actual initial application. It sometimes misses altogether...

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » June 16th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Yeah Blizzard totally fucked that up, ie Deep Freeze - even with Blizzard up its a 100% miss agaisnt elementals....

Nivrax

Post by Nivrax » June 16th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Drudatz wrote:Yeah Blizzard totally fucked that up, ie Deep Freeze - even with Blizzard up its a 100% miss agaisnt elementals....
Elementals are immune to weather effects.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » June 16th, 2013, 6:00 pm

The peeps above are right (apparently), the tooltip for nocturnal strike should show the current accuracy. It's 50% normal, 100% if the opponent is blinded, and 90% if you're also blinded. :x

If your pet is lower level than your opponent, then there's a 2% miss chance per level difference.

*edit* should also agree with elementals and weather. And note that darkness is a weather effect, so elementals aren't considered blinded for nocturnal strike, or other things that weather might do to pets.

If it's level 25 vs level 25, and there's no accuracy debuff, and you have an instance where a 100% hit chance ability misses, take a screen shot (showing the pet battle log) and post it to the Blizzard forums. There's all kinds of peeps there that absolutely do not believe that it can happen.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 16th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Blinded means your attack have 50% chance to miss.

Nivrax

Post by Nivrax » June 17th, 2013, 1:01 am

Luciandk wrote:Blinded means your attack have 50% chance to miss.
That's if the debuff comes from Lantern/Wisp. Darkness weather Blind we're talking about got 10% penalty. I couldn't imagine how it would be with 50% through 5 turns :P.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 17th, 2013, 4:39 am

Huh, so its just fake blindness with a mere 10% debuff to hit and heal reduction.