How much I love my pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Emaille
Pet Score:10217
Realm:Ghostlands-eu
How much I love my pets

Post by Emaille » June 12th, 2013, 8:26 am

Hi all, congratz on all new pets and really hope your loving them and caring for them as much as I am. lol
Anyway posting today and bare with me cause I am not sure if this was mentioned before, but i wonder if perhaps you can reconsider the way in which you score the pets, it seems rather odd to me. I think if you collect pets is because you love doing that and care for your collection, you make sure that they are not just sitting at level one or that all poors and uncommons are upgraded to rares. I believe it should matter the care you put into your collection and not only be scored on amount collected.
I say this because if someone has 500 poor pets and someone else 430 rare pets I would think they latter cares more and should be rewarded better. Example on this site I am postion 6 on ghostland EU and Nalvelo is postion 7 or something. On wowprogress He/she is position one and I am at position two. I see we both rare up our pets and level them up.People that are holding top position on this site can have poor pets and maybe 70 leveled to max (for example) it just seems odd to me the point system. No offense and disrespect intended to top scorers ofc. (Just saying)We are here because we love pets and collect them and work on collection.
Any thoughts on this...and btw Dont get me wrong because I am not in it for the score or nothing at all. I come here because it is a easy place to see how much more I have to upgrade so how much more stones I need or how much i have at max level ect. (so naturally you check your score too and see how others are doing) Cheers all!!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Re: How much I love my pets

Post by Mehetabel » June 12th, 2013, 8:30 am

Actually . . . that IS how the scoring works on here. ;)

For example, on my realm (for this site) I'm way above some people who have lots more pets than me overall but have less rare or leveled ones.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » June 12th, 2013, 9:08 am

Keep in mind that on both WowProgress and WCP, one has to be added to the system.
It doesn't automagically check everyone on a given server and compare them.

Also, WowProgress favors level over number collected, while WCP favors the opposite.
(WCP is, after all, originally a site for collectors, while WowProgress is a site for competitors)
They both seem to weight quality relatively evenly.

That's why I can be [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/search/?region=US&realm=Thunderhorn&faction=AH&x=14&y=11]Server #2[/url] on WCP and [url=http://www.wowprogress.com/petscore/us/thunderhorn/]Server #4[/url] on WowProgress.
I have many pets, and many rares - but I have fewer L25 pets than the top-scorers on WowProgress.
ImageImage

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » June 12th, 2013, 9:11 am

This is how the pet score is calculated here and why they decided to use this rating system.

Basiclly 1 unique poor quality pet would give you 2 total points where as the same pet but rare quality gives you 5 total points. Plus points for overall average pet level.

In your example the person with 500 poor pets would have a score of 1000 +(avg pet level x4) and the person with 430 rare pets would have a score of 2150 +(avg pet level x4).

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/2013/02/]Original link[/url]

How is pet score calculated?

Your score is primarily determined by the total number of unique pets you've collected and the quality of those pets. To a lesser extent, your pets' levels play a role. Here is the formula we use to calculate pet score:

2*(total unique pets)
+ 4*(avg. pet level)
+ 1*(total common pets)
+ 2*(total uncommon pets)
+ 3*(total rare pets)
+ 5*(total epic pets)
+ 10*(total legendary pets)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pet ScoreOnly unique pets are factored into pet score. Also notice that even though we use a multiplier of 4 to determine the level portion of your score, it's your average pet level that's being assessed. So you'd have to level a lot of pets by several levels to see a real difference in your score.

How do you weigh duplicate pets into my stats and pet score?

We don't. Duplicate pets do not count toward your stats or pet score in any way.

For example, if you have 75 pets at the max level, but 10 are duplicates, your max level stat will be 65 (despite any pet leveling achievements you may have earned). Any pet that's tinted in orange is considered a duplicate. Only unique pets are used to determine your pet score and other statistics.

How do you determine which pets are considered unique or duplicates?

The highest level of the highest quality pet (among duplicates) is considered your "unique" pet. Unique pets are the ones factored into your pet stats and pet score. We prioritze pets by quality first, followed by level, and then by whether or not the pet was given a custom name:

Quality → Level → Name

For example, say you have three of the same pet: a level 23 Uncommom, a level 18 Rare and a level 21 Common named Bob. The level 18 Rare would be considered your "unique" pet because it is the one with the highest rarity (even though it also has the lowest level).

How can someone with less pets or pets of a much lower level have a higher score than me?

If you look at the formula, you'll notice that the quality of your pets plays a significant role in determining your score. So if someone has more rare pets, their score might be higher even if their unique pet count and average pet level are lower than yours. In fact, even if you have more rare pets than they do, their score might still be higher due to having several more uncommon pets while you have more common and poor quality pets.

Remember — pet score was designed to reward all facets of pet collecting, from rare-hunting to pet-leveling. So the sheer number of pets you have isn't always going to put you on top
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Mehetabel
Top Rater

Post by Mehetabel » June 12th, 2013, 9:20 am

Gendou wrote:Keep in mind that on both WowProgress and WCP, one has to be added to the system.
It doesn't automagically check everyone on a given server and compare them.
I always thought that WowProgress DOES do server "grabs". Not sure how often it does it but it's pretty accurate on all the guild progress and gear lists, so I assumed the pet collecting scores would be the same? People who are members have a "u" next to their name and it is possible to "force" an update if you want it to show quicker but it will eventually show even if you don't do that. I know there are people in my guild who didn't even KNOW that WowProgress HAD a pet score list but they are on there anyway.

Edit:

I just had to check to be sure and yep, WowProgress does do armoury scans, so everyone is on there automatically and there's no need to do any manual uploads.

http://www.wowprogress.com/post/114_FAQ
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Emaille
Pet Score:10217
Realm:Ghostlands-eu

Post by Emaille » June 12th, 2013, 9:27 am

Okay..I guess I understand. Who am I to fight the system :D

Happy hunting fellow pet lovers and dont forget the treats and to wash your pets once in a while.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » June 12th, 2013, 9:38 am

Mehetabel wrote:I just had to check to be sure and yep, WowProgress does do armoury scans, so everyone is on there automatically and there's no need to do any manual uploads.
http://www.wowprogress.com/post/114_FAQ
That's really strange. If I don't visit for weeks or months, it won't update my characters.
I have some of my L90's that haven't been updated since last year.

Edit: I just read the FAQ.
It does require manual updates for most people - it pulls the information from the Armory, but it doesn't do so automatically.
Only the top guilds are automatically updated, and then only for PVE progress data.
I don't believe Battle Pet information is automatically updated.
ImageImage

Mehetabel
Top Rater

Post by Mehetabel » June 12th, 2013, 9:56 am

It's all very confusing! :roll: :lol:

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 12th, 2013, 10:06 am

Emaille wrote:Okay..I guess I understand. Who am I to fight the system :D
You're not fighting the system, the system is exactly as you are asking for it to be...