Still confused about Pet Breeds

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jazmyine
Pet Score:2554
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Still confused about Pet Breeds

Post by Jazmyine » June 11th, 2013, 5:48 pm

So, I've read the guide on WoW Pet Breeds and Breed IDs and I still am thoroughly confused.

I tried searching through the forums for more information but nothing seems to come up. Are there any posts that give more details for those of us that do not really get the math behind it all? I really would love to understand the guide but it just seems really brief. I understand that tons of information probably can not be provided as it will be overwhelming but I really would like to figure it out.

I apologies if this is covered somewhere already but as I said above I just cannot seem to find anything on it.

Thanks Jazmyine

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Still confused about Pet Breeds

Post by Luciandk » June 11th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Theres 10 different breeds. Most wild pets have 3-5. Ach pets have 1, and drop pets usually have 1. The RWWL2 pets being the exception.

Each breed consists of the following options, power, speed, health or balanced, and you can have any combination of the two.

Pure breeds, aka Power/power have the greatest number of statpoints. Whereas Balanced/balanced is the worst.

Mixed, non balanced breeds is just under pures in statpoints, like Power/Speed. Whereas mixed balanced breeds is below that, but still better than B/B. Examples being Power/Balanced.

Next look at the abilities. Does the pet have abilities that lends itself well to a certain breed? Look at phoenix hawk hatchling, it have Quills, which hits an extra time if you attack first. So you would want to favor a speedy breed to maximising ensuring first strike. Which would be breed 5, aka Speed/Speed.

Heals scale with power, so Emerald Proto Whelp becomes truly awesome in breed 4 to maximise its power potential.

An ability common to dragons are Tail Sweep, hitting an extra time if user goes last. So youd want to have as slow speed as possible. Same goes for undead pets, wanting to be as slow as possible to get an extra turn of immortality.

Tiker
Pet Score:3111
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Re: Still confused about Pet Breeds

Post by Tiker » June 12th, 2013, 11:51 am

When you say "the guide", are you referring to this guide?

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/