Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us
Crocks in the city

Post by Tahsfenz » June 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Ever since my wife & I got all our crocks, neither of us have gotten a single one in the bags. Is there a mechanic where they stop coming once you complete the collection? Have just been trying to get some for trade stock and guildie gifts. Before that, I would get one at least every other quest turn in.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Re: Crocks in the city

Post by Tiggindy » June 9th, 2013, 10:39 pm

I believe they do stop coming once you have them.

Way way back when they bumped up the chance, I stopped getting duplicates. I was also fishing for them on multiple toons, so I had a decent size sample set as far as checking the chance of getting one.

Since pets are now acct wide, I'd imagine you can only fish up one set... unless you cage and trade the pet to someone else.

Maybe that's something worth testing?

Tahsfenz
Top Rater

Post by Tahsfenz » June 10th, 2013, 6:29 am

Next timeim in the area I'll have to test this.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » June 10th, 2013, 7:49 am

Tiggindy wrote:I believe they do stop coming once you have them.

Way way back when they bumped up the chance, I stopped getting duplicates. I was also fishing for them on multiple toons, so I had a decent size sample set as far as checking the chance of getting one.

Since pets are now acct wide, I'd imagine you can only fish up one set... unless you cage and trade the pet to someone else.

Maybe that's something worth testing?
Not true ... We had the quest three times in the last two weeks (after it not being there for three weeks) ... the first time, with two characters on two accounts, we got 3 out of the 4 pets (Damn you, Chuck!). The second time, we got Chuck ... and two more Muckbreaths, meaning at least one of the accounts (if not both) got a duplicate.

This was just a week or so ago.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » June 10th, 2013, 9:39 am

Slab wrote:Not true ... We had the quest three times in the last two weeks (after it not being there for three weeks) ... the first time, with two characters on two accounts, we got 3 out of the 4 pets (Damn you, Chuck!). The second time, we got Chuck ... and two more Muckbreaths, meaning at least one of the accounts (if not both) got a duplicate.

This was just a week or so ago.
That's good to know.

I guess the followup question is, did the accounts that got the duplicates learn the crocs, or just have them in inventory?

If you've learned them, and still got dupes, then I guess it's changed from way back when I was chasing them and the OP is suffering from some bad luck.

If you just had them in inventory, then that's a different story.

Slab

Post by Slab » June 10th, 2013, 11:10 am

One of the accounts had all four learned before this sample; the other account learned the 3 pets from the first time. We learned the dupes so we could cage them and sell 'em on Shadowmoon as part of our Thundering/Lil Tarcegosa efforts with Deal With It. :)

Adely
Pet Score:4378
BattleTag®:Adely#1848
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Adely » June 10th, 2013, 1:21 pm

I got my second Chuck a couple of weeks ago, and I have all 4 learned. So, you can get more than one. I have to ask though... Why does everyone want Chuck? I prefer Snarly's breed.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » June 10th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Adely wrote:I got my second Chuck a couple of weeks ago, and I have all 4 learned. So, you can get more than one. I have to ask though... Why does everyone want Chuck? I prefer Snarly's breed.
I assume its the name, also i think he looks the best of the set. And not all pet collectors care much about the pet battling, i have enjoyed it, but collecting pets is still more fun to me than the battling is.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater

Post by Tahsfenz » June 11th, 2013, 6:38 am

That's odd. I stopped doing it because I was getting no drops. I still do it if I'm in the area, but it's been months since I've seen a drop from the bag.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » June 11th, 2013, 10:53 am

FWIW, I did the quest on 4 toons today, and got a croc with 1. Too small a sample to get an idea of drop rate, but you definitely can still get them. So I was wrong in my initial post. :o

I'd do it on more toons, but, well, I got bored after doing it for 4. :oops:

Slab

Post by Slab » June 11th, 2013, 11:30 am

Domie wrote:
Adely wrote:I got my second Chuck a couple of weeks ago, and I have all 4 learned. So, you can get more than one. I have to ask though... Why does everyone want Chuck? I prefer Snarly's breed.
I assume its the name, also i think he looks the best of the set. And not all pet collectors care much about the pet battling, i have enjoyed it, but collecting pets is still more fun to me than the battling is.
I assumed it was the rarity ... in the 20 some odd times I've done the quest on various toons in the past month, I've only seen one Chuck, versus multiples of all the others.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » June 11th, 2013, 11:40 am

As others have said, I know you can still get crocs if you have them in your journal (recently did that quest again for giggles and got a croc). What I'm curious about is if you can only loot them one time per toon. I'm fairly certain I'd never gotten all four crocs on the toon I ran that quest on recently. Anyone have confirmation one way or the other?

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » June 11th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Saasan wrote:Anyone have confirmation one way or the other?
I cannot confirm, since the one I got was on a toon that had not fished up all 4.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » June 11th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I haven't checked since pre-Mists, but I know before account wide pets, you could get the same croc more than once. Only my rogue had Snarly, while my main got all the others multiple times and never Snarly.

Silverthorn
MVP
Pet Score:13821
Realm:Staghelm-us

Post by Silverthorn » June 12th, 2013, 2:37 pm

I wrote about this in February... http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=2&t=2680. Popular wisdom seems to indicate that nowadays you can still get duplicates on the same character, but as far as I can tell, I never have. I had a "crew" of 10+ toons I'd run through every time the fishing daily came up. It worked very well. Then after a while, I started getting nada. Repeatedly. I've stopped trying to farm them myself until I raise more toons up past 70.