Why Three?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Saboliss
Pet Score:10121
Realm:Draenor-eu
Why Three?

Post by Saboliss » June 10th, 2013, 4:48 am

Hi Guys,

I'm new to pet battles (I know, where have I been!) and have a quick question, it's probably been asked a million times but why do we need/are able to have three of each type? Is there a benefit to this or can I set free my lower dupicates of each type?

Thank you

Elmarc
Top Rater
Pet Score:10302
BattleTag®:Elmarc#2151
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Re: Why Three?

Post by Elmarc » June 10th, 2013, 5:08 am

I'm not sure if there is a real reason for it. I guess it's 3 so people will not hoard them (max of 3 minfernals for example, will give other collectors more chance to get it as well). Also, your fighting team consists of 3 pets. Pokemon (which is basicly the origin of our pet battle system) uses 3 pets to fight with. Those are the reasons i can think of, why 3. .... also, there are a few exceptions hopling (SSB dugeon achievement) and (some) Collector Edition pets, which you can only have one of :).

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 10th, 2013, 5:11 am

Many wild pets come in multiple skins and breeds.

Saboliss
Pet Score:10121
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Saboliss » June 10th, 2013, 5:45 am

Cheers guys

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 10th, 2013, 6:29 am

Because 2 just won't do!

Ladymagical
Pet Score:3368
BattleTag®:emetia#1311
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Ladymagical » June 10th, 2013, 6:32 am

and four is too many :P

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 10th, 2013, 8:25 am

Five is right out.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 10th, 2013, 8:26 am

One feels a bit lonely.

Farnzworth
Pet Score:3484
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Farnzworth » June 10th, 2013, 8:59 am

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

anyway. probably because of multiple skins and breeds. why three. because five is right out

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » June 10th, 2013, 9:11 am

Because three is how many you can have on a team.

No sense in having more than, say, three Black Kingsnakes, since that's all you can put on a single team.
ImageImage

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 10th, 2013, 4:56 pm

To answer your question. In my opinion, yeah it is safe to delete your non-rares once you have a rare.

What I usually do is capture the first one I come across. Then I will capture a green one (heh, mainly for points on this site), and finally I capture a rare when I find it. I don´t start leveling pets until they are rare, so there isn´t much of a reaston to upgrade from uncommon to green execpt it earns me points on this site.

Silverthorn
MVP
Pet Score:13821
Realm:Staghelm-us

Re: Why Three? Why not 1800?

Post by Silverthorn » June 12th, 2013, 2:47 pm

So.. three of any given pet (excluding some achievement pets) times approximately 550 - 600 pets = ~ 1800 possible pets. Available space: 650. Not to complain, but the math just doesn't add up. If you are serious about collecting three of each, or even two of each, you will run out of pet slots long before collecting even just all the wild pets. :cry:

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Why Three? Why not 1800?

Post by Quintessence » June 12th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Silverthorn wrote:So.. three of any given pet (excluding some achievement pets) times approximately 550 - 600 pets = ~ 1800 possible pets. Available space: 650. Not to complain, but the math just doesn't add up. If you are serious about collecting three of each, or even two of each, you will run out of pet slots long before collecting even just all the wild pets. :cry:
Personally, I don't see the need for collecting three of each pet (wild or not), unless I desire specific breeds or want a specific team of triple pets.

I think initially the "three of a kind" feature was implemented so that when y our collections from different toons were merged together, it didn't feel as though you "lost" pets due to the merging. Squishing four snakes into one feels much worse than going from four snakes to three.

If you're looking to capture three of any kind to collect all the colors, you can collect all the colors of a pet model without having to collect all the colors of one pet. GormanGhaste has a guide here. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » June 13th, 2013, 3:40 am

I only keep one of each pet, usually in whatever rarity I get although if I get a rare alls the better. Then when I have some free time I work through the zones, getting all rares. Only managed a handful so far!