Fleeing in pvp pet battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Elmarc
Top Rater
Pet Score:10302
BattleTag®:Elmarc#2151
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Fleeing in pvp pet battles

Post by Elmarc » June 4th, 2013, 3:04 pm

I have a question about the pet battles. Just tonight i noticed while i am on the quest to get 10 pvp wins that i did not get credit when someone flees. Has anyone else had this happen, is it a bug or what? This is what happened
1st flee
My Unborn Valkyr hit enemies Kun-lai Runt, enemy slows my valkyr. Runt misses (stun ability) i hit Runt. Runt hits my valkyr, i kill the Runt. Enemy team flees the scene. No credit for the 10 pvp-wins quest. (when someone withdraws, in my point of view, they should be considered losing / admitting their defeat)
2nd flee
Enemy Elementium Geode uses Crystal Overload (no attack), my valkyr hits Geode. Enemy geode misses attack, my valkyr hits the Geode. Enemy team flees (admit to be defeated (imo)) and again i get no credit.

I have been lucky with the enemy missing in both battles (i know that), but why is this not cosidered winning? I can not understand. Does anyone has a good explanation for why i did not get credit for the (again imo) victories i had, or is flee-ing a battle at the first pet just another way to be super annoying to other pet battlers for not getting a win-credit?

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Re: Fleeing in pvp pet battles

Post by Teacake » June 4th, 2013, 3:50 pm

It seems they changed it during restarts today.

It appears to have to do with the number of rounds the fight has gone on. If they forfeit immediately or early, you don't get a win. If they forfeit later, you do. I don't know the exact number of rounds and/or damage done required to get credit for a win, but I had it go both ways while doing my quest today and that seems to be the consensus on the o-boards as well.

At first I found this outrageous and was prepared to flounce around in a huff. Then I realized I could forfeit on the clock-runners without them getting a win, and I decided a few extra minutes queuing for me here and there was worth it.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 4th, 2013, 7:56 pm

I like that change.
That is all.

Xdude
Pet Score:7751
BattleTag®:Itsdasizz#1164
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Xdude » June 4th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Seems the battle has to last at least one minute.

Have not seen patch notes or anyhting on it yet.

Invictus
Pet Score:3367
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Invictus » June 4th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Probably due to the people who exploit win-trading pet battles.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » June 5th, 2013, 1:04 am

Ug I shoulda just said screw it and ran up my 250 battles already.

Xdude

Post by Xdude » June 5th, 2013, 4:56 am

Well they made win trading harder by doing this, however the new troll method is to wait 15-20 seconds and forfeit.

I see the same 2-3 teams over and over...I got 3 wins out of 10 battles that ended the right way.

Had some 40 or forfeits.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 5th, 2013, 5:37 am

Xdude wrote:Well they made win trading harder by doing this, however the new troll method is to wait 15-20 seconds and forfeit.

I see the same 2-3 teams over and over...I got 3 wins out of 10 battles that ended the right way.

Had some 40 or forfeits.
Oh god, really? It amazes me how whatever and however you twist it, trolls (the bad kind, and i aint talking about the Amani) will always find ways to be annoying.

Teacake

Post by Teacake » June 5th, 2013, 5:58 am

How odd they're willing to waste their own time too. Hopefully the thrill of sitting in a queue only to press the shiny white flag button will wear off soon...

Before this change, I used to immediately forfeit and concede the win if I saw an idol-crawdad team, because it's inefficient to fight them even if you win. But now I'm faced with a moral dilemma. Do I have to spend ten minutes fighting them out of courtesy so they don't have to keep getting bounced back into the queue?

Xdude

Post by Xdude » June 5th, 2013, 10:26 am

Dash - my point there was they made wintrading harder by doing this. That was one, maybe the main reason why they did it. I had heard of people getting 1-90 in 15 hours without even leaving Stormwind.

I think the 1 minute minimum time punishes us all who try to play legit.

I did a little better on battles tonight but still seeing alot of people quit right away.

Elmarc
Top Rater

Post by Elmarc » June 5th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I reiceved a response to the ticket i made about this. It seems Blizzard is fine with people using forfeit as a way to troll other people it seems. Here's the short version of what i have been told (i was offline so got a messaged response):

We have investigated your report and can confirm that this is working correctly. The battle will count as a win only if you defeat the enemy, not if he escapes from battle - similar to a 'real' PvP fight where you will not get credit if your opponenent manages to escape.

If you feel this system could be improved you are welcome to submit your feedback and suggestions about it!

The way i read this, an opponent can use an entire fight trying to win, and then in case they see they are going to die, forfeit and make the winner not get credit. (i.e. using a undead or possibly mechanical (depends on the attack used to kill) gives you the right to screw someone over a win.)
->> I can not win, so you are not allowed to win either <<- This seems like quite a terrible way to make things work for the fair battlers vs trolls/kids etc.

Thanks for the responses. Going to submit a suggestion stating the same as i did here. Lets hope Blizzard will do something about it.

Teacake

Post by Teacake » June 5th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Elmarc wrote:similar to a 'real' PvP fight where you will not get credit if your opponenent manages to escape.
:lol:

"Manages" to escape?? Do you suppose they seriously mean you shouldn't get a win if someone "manages" to hit a button? It's one thing if that slippery druid manages to elude you and you don't get a kill. Where is the skill in hitting the forfeit button, exactly?

I saw a suggestion on the o-boards that if having fights go at least a minute is so important to them, they should just make the forfeit button unavailable for the first minute of the match. This seemed like an obvious answer to me. It solves their insta-win "problem" (Was it really that big a problem? Bigger than this?) but real players don't get all the frustration of trolls forfeiting constantly and clogging up the queues with nobody getting wins.

Elmarc
Top Rater

Post by Elmarc » June 5th, 2013, 2:20 pm

i know what ur saying mate. i read it several times to not have to laugh at it tbf. rogue vanish is a no-kill what i thought of. so in that way it makes sense, but for pet-battles it doesnt make any sense at all imo. made a follow-up ticket, since the suggest button only allows 500 characters typed -_- lol

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm

[url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/342351012037787648]Mumper's response[/url] to this bug (and it is a bug apparently, to not receive a win):

Found a bug in the forfeit <1 min hotfix. Wins should still count, players should just not receive XP. We are working on an update ASAP.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Glorpin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3766
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Glorpin » June 5th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I agree that wins should still count in fleeing instances. It is like queuing for RBG or Arena. You still get some reward for the interaction, even if not the same rewards (i.e. not as much honor since you didn't get as many kills in the battle ground) like experience for your pets. I also think there should be a time period if they leave early that prevents them from returning, like in BGs. That way trolls can only troll one fight every 30 minutes or so, not 50 in an hour. I really think they should model this after existing PVP content, with all the safety nets in place for the sincere players.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 5th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Never give up! Never surrender!

I haven't had anyone flee so early, but people do flee at odd times. I've had people flee when: I'm one attack away from winning, when there is still a good chance they could win, and when there first pet is about to die.

I have always received credit when people flee except back when battles where first introduced.

Elmarc
Top Rater

Post by Elmarc » June 5th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Quintessence wrote:[url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/342351012037787648]Mumper's response[/url] to this bug (and it is a bug apparently, to not receive a win):

Found a bug in the forfeit <1 min hotfix. Wins should still count, players should just not receive XP. We are working on an update ASAP.
Well. like i mentioned above. i had a person flee 2 battles in a row (different pets, so i dont think it was the same person(account)) and I am 100% positive that i did NOT get credit. so Mumper is wrong on this. I was using a full 25 team for the quest, so xp gained (or not gained) was not one of the issues i had.

Thanks for the link though. If I happen to be able to get to talk to a GM i will link that to him as well :twisted:

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 5th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Elmarc wrote:
Quintessence wrote:[url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/342351012037787648]Mumper's response[/url] to this bug (and it is a bug apparently, to not receive a win):

Well. like i mentioned above. i had a person flee 2 battles in a row (different pets, so i dont think it was the same person(account)) and I am 100% positive that i did NOT get credit. so Mumper is wrong on this. I was using a full 25 team for the quest, so xp gained (or not gained) was not one of the issues i had.

Thanks for the link though. If I happen to be able to get to talk to a GM i will link that to him as well :twisted:
I don't think the fix is in yet. He only mentions that they're working on resolving the issue. So until an official fix is announced, forfeits within less than 1 minute still won't count.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Xdude

Post by Xdude » June 5th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Thank you Quint for the info. I am seeing less forfeits today vs yesterday. I think I actually won 3 battles out of 10, which is above my 10-15% rate.

Come to think of it (put on tinfoil hat), could that bug mumper mentioned be a way cover an "oopsie we blew that one"?

edit added last line lol

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » June 5th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Spoke too soon, just had somebody leave very soon after starting and I did not get credit. I think they had a good chance of winning too.