PvP Battling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Magneith
Pet Score:4119
Realm:Saurfang-us
PvP Battling

Post by Magneith » June 1st, 2013, 4:18 am

Hello Everyone!

New to the site but by no means new to Battle Pets. I've built up quite a collection and now I want to move on to PvP battles. I have done some PvP, I completed 10 battles for the original achievement and for the new 5.3 achievement. But I just seem to have the most incredible bad luck when it comes to RNG, I have a lot of misses on 95% spells and when I do get it together, I seem to go up against highly evasive, defensive teams.

So if anyone can help regarding the PvP side of it I'd me most appreciative. My Kun-Lai Runt seems to be the best PvP pet so far and I'm looking for a team with high power at the moment. My Red Cricket and Stunted Shardhorn Rhino have 371 and 358 respectively and I'm trying to find a Kun-Lai Runt (the one I have has 306) along those lines and go from there.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Shakesbeard
Top Rater
Pet Score:4734
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: PvP Battling

Post by Shakesbeard » June 1st, 2013, 9:56 pm

power imo is not the main focus of pvp. it's about strategy, and 'hit it hard' isn't a strat that works very well. even runt isn't op because of power, it's op because of speed boost and stun.

i'd suggest putting together a few different teams. there's an addon called pet battle teams that lets you save teams in a column to the right of the pet journal.

i have about 5 teams of 25's for php, and i like to mix it up a lot with pets i don't normally use or combinations i don't use. if i meet a team that my team matched up badly against, often i'll switch to one of my main 5 teams that might do better and requeue right away, hopefully to get that same team again.

one of my teams has a kun-lai runt, but since so many people use them i have had to figure out some teams that will beat them. my "crutch" team with runt and idol barely gets played, since i need teams that can beat a runt team (runt teams used to be snowman/runt/frosty or winter helper, now i see a lot of runt/direhorn/idol or pinchy). so i have a few different teams that i designed to counter those, but do well against a lot of other teams too.

try experimenting with different pets, and focus on strategy not power. i see you have some 25 moths, try putting a fast moth in a team with your power pets.
MADORAN__ <WCP> Shakesbeard
___________<LPL> Factotem
___________<PP> Orcane, Shrecksar, Remoo

Magneith

Post by Magneith » June 2nd, 2013, 11:01 pm

Cheers for all that.

I have Pet Battle Teams and Petjournal Enhanced addons. As far as different teams, I have a team of moths that sometimes works well with sleep dust and silk cocoons. The "3 Mr. Bigglesworths" teams are something I face often too. I think I need to level more of my pets to 25 as I only have around 30 25s at the moment and not a lot of critters. I'm seeing a lot of undead teams lately too. My Stunted Shardhorn has been performing as expected with very strong hits of often 1200+.

I think for now my goals are;

Level a team that is strong against undead and level more to 25 for more options.

If anyone else cares to take a look at what I have in my collection and make suggestions, I'm more than open to that.

Thanks a lot for your help :D

Chasmyr9922
Pet Score:2824
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Chasmyr9922 » June 3rd, 2013, 12:32 am

I took a quick glance at your pets. I myself use a rare Swamp Croaker to fight undead teams. A good frog or critter can make quick work of undead. A fast rabbit works wells. Just a couple of suggestions from my experience.

Magneith

Post by Magneith » June 5th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll get those leveled up and try them out!

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 5th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Just my thoughts, I'm by no means an expert.

There's a reason you're seeing so many undead - because of all those runt teams. :) Anub Idol, imps, and other humanoids are also common, and undead are great for countering them. I'm a very big fan of undead myself and use them on pretty much every team I make, so my suggestions will have that bias.

You've got a level 25 Valk, she is very strong. I don't have one myself but I sure hate seeing them. :) You might want to take her for a spin. As for what to team up with her, something that can fight critters (since they are strong against her) and something that can fight aquatics (since she is weak against them). I actually don't see a lot of critters being brought into battles myself, but a lot of other pets have critter attacks.

You've also got a fair number of DoT users at max level or nearing it - oozling, glowfly, spiders, snakes, razortooth, etc. It might be worth a try to combine them with something that has Call Lightning. I find that DoT teams can be fun, especially when combined with a pet that can force-swap the dotted up enemy into the back row to slowly die. But the downside is if you come up against a team with a lot of Stoneskin/Shell Shield/Emerald Presence available, you'll get stomped because you won't be able to hurt them.

Your Warbot is a pretty strong mechanical pet and a lot of people enjoy playing mechs. I might set him up with your Fel Flame or Water Waveling and then one of your moths or maybe a humanoid, and see how that works.

For fighting those undead, I'd suggest looking at a rabbit, a good frog, and also some pets that aren't critters but who have critter attacks. I wouldn't stack a team with more than one critter since there are a lot of beast attacks out there. Because I love my undead so much, I use a Blighted Squirrel fairly often to beat up opposing undead.

Looking over some of the rest of your collection, some pets I'd suggest leveling would be the Crow, Fiendish Imp, Darkmoon Zep, and Chrominius. That's just for starters as you've got a lot of great rare pets at low level. :) I never see anyone else using it, but personally I adore my Plump Turkey in PVP. I'd also suggest, when you can, replacing your Nexus Whelpling, Blighthawk, and Flayer Youngling with rares (or stoning them) and then leveling them up.

I'd also put a plug in for just picking a favorite pet of yours that you seldom or never run into on other teams. Then look at that pet's weak points and fill the rest of the team around those. I say this because everyone expects to encounter runts, direhorns, clockwork gnomes, etc. They build teams that will counter these common pets and more importantly, they know how they work. By now most of your opponents already know they just need to swap when they get the speed debuff from your runt, before you can stun them. Put in a pet they're less familiar with and they won't necessarily have a strat ready to fight it.

Um, not that I do that last one. I have two skulls, a pet a lot of people use, and feature at least one of them on pretty much every one of my teams. :oops:

Magneith

Post by Magneith » June 8th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much for all of that info. I leveled my Swamp Croaker as previously suggested and the win rate seems to have soared. The downside is I will lose if their last pet is a humanoid and mine is my croaker. I just do a different strat or quickly switch teams in that case. My Stunted Shardhorn Rhino has been fantastic also. I have been trying my Valkyr for the population explosion of humanoids, I just need more practice with her. Not sure how to use the spell that kills her, I see others' Valkyrs coming back to life but mine never seems too.

I will work on getting the others leveled that you suggested as I need them leveled for the achievement anyway and it doesn't take long.

I also have a lot of stones in the bank so I'll go hunting today as well as sorting and stoning the harder to get ones.

I got my 50 wins achievements yesterday, so thanks to everyone for the help. Next is 250 for the other direhorn!!

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 9th, 2013, 11:54 am

For haunt to work best, you want to use it early, then force swap the pet into the back row. If it doesn't die after the five rounds, your valk will come back. You want to weaken it, but not kill. It works well when done right though!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Thevarietygamer
Pet Score:1477
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Thevarietygamer » June 9th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Thank you shakes for the information, I am going to use that myself since I am not to great at PvP portions of Pet Battles.