Caution: Unborn Val'kyr *will* suicide on you!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Pixietrixie
Pet Score:3080
Realm:Medivh-us
Caution: Unborn Val'kyr *will* suicide on you!

Post by Pixietrixie » May 30th, 2013, 1:15 pm

per mumper: she will wait till round 5 and will not cast below 30% health, so depending on her quality, the turnip or a soft hitter might not bring her down in time, so make sure you adjust your capture strat.

I'm going to have a broom (to switch her out if needed before R5) & turnip on my capture team, but I sure wish I would have known that before my prized find cast unholy ascension & suicide on me :(.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Caution: Unborn Val'kyr *will* suicide on you!

Post by Morlis » May 30th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Pixietrixie wrote:per mumper: she will wait till round 5 and will not cast below 30% health
Am I understanding this part right? On round 5 she will cast the Unholy Ascension ability. If below 30% she will not cast it?

I want to make sure, because 5 rounds is not a lot of time to get the trap to land. Even with the best trap it can take 3 rounds to land.

I have only flown around a few times looking for her with no luck so I guess I am glad I read this before I ran into one.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Catwhitney
Top Rater

Post by Catwhitney » May 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I'm very sorry this happened to you after finding the little devil, but thank you for posting this. I didn't know she had this ability and would have been similarly devastated!

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » May 31st, 2013, 6:28 am

Found this out the hard way. I guess the key is to get her down below 30% quickly, which is contrary to how you tend to deal with a rare pet.

Well found a second one and finally got her.

Ladymagical
Pet Score:3368
BattleTag®:emetia#1311
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Ladymagical » May 31st, 2013, 7:15 am

I used a Summit kid to get her down quickly... 2 turns and she was low enough to capture... (grey quality) worked for me but I did risk a crit possibly killing her...

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » May 31st, 2013, 7:53 am

No luck finding one but a thought came to mind, maybe a forefit at round 4 if not going well for a second chance to engage again before suicide, that is if no one is lurking also to snatch the fight off of you.
Wave

Ebbie
Pet Score:4510
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Ebbie » May 31st, 2013, 11:43 am

What about using a turkey or another pet with something like Food Coma? on the 4th round if she's not low enough time it right and you could get an extra round or two to get her down.

Jalad
Pet Score:3765
BattleTag®:Jalad#1735
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Jalad » May 31st, 2013, 1:13 pm

Well, not that we know this is coming (thank you, OP!), can't be just forfeit if things aren't working out right and try again when she pops back up?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 31st, 2013, 1:46 pm

I really suggest adding a turkey to the capture team because "food coma" should buy you 2 rounds to toss that cage on it. I used a critter, turkey and a turnip for my team. The critter knocked it down to 35% in 2 rounds, then swapped in turkey for "food coma" and that was that.

This works on things like crimson geode as well, since they're prone to suicide too.

Puluz
Pet Score:10206
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Puluz » June 7th, 2013, 5:57 pm

My story about val'kyr, first one i saw was in sholazar, was just leveling an alt, minding my own business and saw something flying there, managed to raise a question in my mind ("what pet flies in sholazar?) then just when i realized that it has to be the new rare in northrend and panicedly tried to sort my team to capture it, horde sweeps by and engages it >.<. Ohwell, friends try to comfort, "you'll find another, don't worry" so i set my mind to actually hunt one down and capture it (which got me back to my old OCD about collecting the pets again but that's a different story), so i fly over ne constantly checking the maps in wowhead for spawnpoints and messing my tomtom totally with the waypoint macros... :P then i find ONE, in exact same point where i saw the glimpse of the first one, heart pounding, panicing, engaging it... and it's a RARE! O.O right away! so i keep yelling and cheering and panicing and laughing all at the same time, hands shaking doing my "pro movements" to get it low enough to trap... and my pristine trap misses... okay, next round... it misses again O.o.... and then i'm like np np, next won't miss anymore. And all the sudden, i hear the sighing voice of a val'kyr, and it lays dead >.<. Unholy ascencion D:. i literally started crying :/. But my friends told me to just keep going, i'll get another (third in my opinion tbh :P) so i spent more time flying around in ne, didn't need to tab to wowhead anymore, knew the spawnpoints well enough already :P and found one in crystalsong forest, engaged and got it! was poor quality but i slapped a stone to it in a heartbeat :) so now i'm proud owner of a val'kyr of my own, named her Adele (don't ask... :P )

only sad thing in this was that when i got the one in crystalsong, someone else was just gona engage it a second later than i did, and they spat on me cos i took the pet :/ i hope they got theirs soon anyway! :)

sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to share that yes, they can and they will suicide on you if you're unlucky enough.... but just keep going, you'll get yours eventually. :)

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » June 7th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Puluz wrote:named her Adele (don't ask... :P )
Named mine "Val Kylmer" /makes me giggle :mrgreen:

Puluz
Pet Score:10206
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Puluz » June 7th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Gwenolyn wrote:
Puluz wrote:named her Adele (don't ask... :P )
Named mine "Val Kylmer" /makes me giggle :mrgreen:
ahaha love your pick of the name! :D

Nonquixote
Pet Score:9187
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Nonquixote » March 5th, 2014, 6:35 am

I wish that I had read this post before I found my first Val'kyr. I managed to find her early this morning in Sholazar, and a rare to boot! With my heart pounding I started to whittle her health down being careful not to whack off too much too fast, little did I know that this was exactly the opposite of what I should have done. She suicided with about 40% health and I was left with nothing but a corpse.

I know it's an old post, but I wanted to say thanks for the info, it's going to be helpful!

UPDATE: Found my second about an hour and a half later, used a lvl 23 Bandicoon Kit to get her health down quickly and landed the trap on the second throw. She's uncommon but I happen to have a Flawless Undead stone reserved just for her!

Post by Guest » March 5th, 2014, 7:36 am

Erm: She has two possible abilities for that slot
She doesn't always have unholy ascension. At leas the one I caught didn't. Start the fight and if she has ascension, abandon it and start again.

PetTracker shows you enemy abilities + cooldowns (pve only)

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » March 5th, 2014, 1:51 pm

The abilities wild pets have are at random so if you find an unborn and engage, and see that she has that talent, then exit the battle and re-engage her until she has haunt instead of UA.

Nonquixote
Pet Score:9187
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Nonquixote » March 5th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Kendrah wrote:The abilities wild pets have are at random so if you find an unborn and engage, and see that she has that talent, then exit the battle and re-engage her until she has haunt instead of UA.
A few of the multitudinous posts that I read after I captured mine said that very thing, thanks for verifying!

I've only been pet battling for about a month so I'm just digging into the tip pf the iceberg when it comes to information, and it is all appreciated.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 5th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Nonquixote wrote:
Kendrah wrote:The abilities wild pets have are at random so if you find an unborn and engage, and see that she has that talent, then exit the battle and re-engage her until she has haunt instead of UA.
A few of the multitudinous posts that I read after I captured mine said that very thing, thanks for verifying!

I've only been pet battling for about a month so I'm just digging into the tip pf the iceberg when it comes to information, and it is all appreciated.
This is the site for you then! Ask away, it is why we are here.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » March 8th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Nonquixote wrote:I've only been pet battling for about a month so I'm just digging into the tip pf the iceberg when it comes to information, and it is all appreciated.
Oh, NP lulz. Boy, I wish I'd found this site when I was hunting for a Minfernal. I only realized that the terrible turnip had an attack that wouldn't kill enemy pets after I killed a Minfernal I was trying to capture.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » March 9th, 2014, 9:21 am

Named mine " Macbeth " lol !! I haven't been able to get a second one yet. Recently all pet battles I have engaged in has had 2 of these on their team ...sighs and its been really frustrating to say the least.