Rare's Health

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Sanguinarius
Rare's Health

Post by Sanguinarius » July 18th, 2012, 2:24 am

So Rare pets have more health than their more common / poor quality versions, something that would help save time, if the health is a set value range for each pet level then a list of health range for rare quality from 1 - 25 will mean you dont waste time trying to tame a low quality one, just forfeit the duel.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Re: Rare's Health

Post by Imthedci » July 18th, 2012, 3:20 am

Sanguinarius wrote:So Rare pets have more health than their more common / poor quality versions...
That does seem to be what I'm finding. All pets of a certain level and rarity have approximately the same hp. This should make it easier for us to make a list of what the hp's are depending on those factors.

Acylin

Post by Acylin » July 18th, 2012, 5:24 pm

You can't just look at health. I've seen uncommons with more health than a rare of the same type.

Someone wrote an addon that changes the colour of pet names on the battle screen to match their rarity. Speed bonuses break it so when looking at any pet with a speed boost it might display a higher quality then it actually is, but the addon has still been really useful.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21340-PetBattleRarity.html

(looks like it might have been updated to fix the speed bug)

Duerma
Pet Score:6468
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Duerma » July 18th, 2012, 9:21 pm

OK, that addon is amazing. Thank you so much! :D

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » July 19th, 2012, 8:36 am

You can't identify rare pets by only looking on their HP Pool.

Based on datamining with this simple formula MaxHP = Level * X + 100 (Base HP)

X = MaxHP - 100 / Level

I found rare pets in a range from X = 80...104 already and uncommon pets with up to 91 (X = Hitpoints per Level).

Using speed/power values to identify rares is a promising way I think. When looking at some data these two stats of rare pets often increase by 15-18 per level and those of uncommon pets by only 12.5-15 per level. Because data for each pet (even when they're all critters) seems to be different, probably we'll see no 100% accurate addon for months but hey... you have 3 slots per pet and I've only seen a maximum of 2 different rares per pet so far... maybe you will always have a third slot for capturing/releasing wild pets when unsure - it's a game and no science ;-)

Acylin

Post by Acylin » July 19th, 2012, 11:44 am

Flohsakk wrote:(snip)
Or you could just use the addon :)

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » July 20th, 2012, 3:55 am

Of course I can and probably I'll do, but I tried (before I've seen this addon) and still try to understand the calculation behind quality levels. Addons always have to be updated when Blizzard changes something and they did with yesterdays patch (nice to see that the addon is already been updated).

If I'd know how things work, I could easily change the addon's values by myself (when it's only a change of numbers ;)) but after looking into the addon's code and it's changes for the patch I'm sure that I was looking into the maths in a wrong way and maybe I should stop trying, because I can only play pet battles, collect data and compare them or compare changes per level an hopefully back calculate to something useful.

Strictly speaking: I failed. I have no idea how the addons author could find some of the numbers in his Score / Score per Level formulas (... so fast ... when thinking of yesterdays beta patch and the addon's update).

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » August 15th, 2012, 7:28 am

Just confirming the above. I have the "Quality and Quantity" achievement, and it's not unusual for an uncommon pet with high (for uncommon) hp to have more than a rare with low (for rare) hp. The other stats make up for it. :geek:

Sartigy

Post by Sartigy » August 22nd, 2012, 12:35 am

Man... with the quality raiting, what is the purpose of even doing pet battles? I got so hyped for nothing.

All I wanted to do is catch and use my pets, and not have to worry about someone else have better quality pets than me.
Oh well, I can still collect them.

Safina
Top Rater
Pet Score:8336
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Safina » August 26th, 2012, 9:52 am

yeah I downloaded that add on and I don't see the name changing color at all. Unless yellow means uncommon >>.