Double-dipping Pro Pet cheevs using stones - still in game?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us
Double-dipping Pro Pet cheevs using stones - still in game?

Post by Chrth » May 14th, 2013, 10:45 am

Hi All,

I apologize if this was asked and answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it on the forum or in the news.

Prior to 5.2 there are a lot of comments on Wowhead that say you should level your Uncommon pet to 25 and then use the Stone because re-leveling to 25 would cause the pet to count twice towards the Pro Pet achievements. However, I've seen a scattering of notes that indicates that's no longer the case as of 5.2, but I don't see any confirmation. I figure if anyone would know for sure, it'd be y'all, so ... can you still double-dip or is it no longer allowed?

Thanks

First Confirmation:
Naplam wrote:Was looking for a definitive answer on this myself, and as of 5/27/2013, it still works, tested with Val'kyr.
Last edited by Chrth on May 28th, 2013, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Re: Double-dipping Pro Pet cheevs using stones - still in ga

Post by Jadax » May 14th, 2013, 10:58 am

Frankly, I don't see the point.

There's far more than 75 wild pets that you can catch at level 23 anyway. Why make more work for yourself?

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 14th, 2013, 11:04 am

Jadax wrote:Frankly, I don't see the point.
There's far more than 75 wild pets that you can catch at level 23 anyway. Why make more work for yourself?
I'm not sure why it would be more work, unless your goal is to get every pet you capture to 25.

There's also a lot of desirable pets that only come in Uncommon flavors, so a Stone is a necessity anyway. Rather than level another frog with the same set of abilities as three other rare 25 frogs you have, you can double-dip your Jade Owl.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » May 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm

I have to agree with Jadax. It's double work leveling that same pet from 23 to 25 again when you can simply catch a wild pet at 25 and there are lots out there. The pet's level is reduced to 23 so in stead of leveling 1 pet to level 25 twice you can have 2 pets at level 25. It actually gets you the achieve faster. Now if you don't care about having all rares at 25 then it doesn't matter. But those last 2 levels take awhile unless you are leveling the pets via trainers.

I just prefer with all the pets I need to get to level 25, I'd rather not level one twice. With my uncommons I went ahead and leveled most of them to level 14 then when I got a stone, stoned them be fore going further.

Good Luck

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 14th, 2013, 1:32 pm

I appreciate y'all's input, but I'd still really like an answer to the question.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » May 14th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I'm Pretty sure it's still allowed, though i haven't tried to do it since 5.1 launched and i used a stone on my already-25 baby blizzard bear (which started as uncommon for some strange reason)

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » May 14th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I never tried to do it, so can't tell you for sure. But I would be surprised if you could not do that still.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » May 15th, 2013, 2:23 am

I think they fixed this and it no longer works. Each pet now only counts once - probably a mention somewhere in the patch notes.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » May 15th, 2013, 5:26 pm

I'm fairly certain this still works. I'm *almost* positive that it was during 5.2 that I stoned my lvl 25 Mechanical Squirrel and re-lvled him. At the least they haven't "fixed" my achievement because progression tells me I have 20 pets at 25 on my achieve but Warcraft Pets lists me at 18 and I have only one double pet, my little Fel Flame buddies. So, for the time being I'd say stoned pets do still count twice. I would not, however, recommend it unless you were planning to level an "uncommon only" pet anyway!

EDIT: I don't think people were understanding what you mean, Chrth. It's not wasting your time if you already intended to level the pet. More bang for your buck!

Naplam
Top Rater
Pet Score:11279
BattleTag®:Naplam#1702
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Naplam » May 26th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Was looking for a definitive answer on this myself, and as of 5/27/2013, it still works, tested with Val'kyr.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » May 27th, 2013, 12:20 am

Saasan wrote:EDIT: I don't think people were understanding what you mean, Chrth. It's not wasting your time if you already intended to level the pet. More bang for your buck!
I think "people" understood perfectly.

There's no point in levelling the same pet to 25 twice, when there are a huge number of other pets to get to 25 anyway.
"More bang for your buck" is, in my opinion, ending up with two level 25 pets after an hour or so's work instead of just one.

It, quite clearly, is a waste of time.

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 27th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Jadax wrote:
Saasan wrote:EDIT: I don't think people were understanding what you mean, Chrth. It's not wasting your time if you already intended to level the pet. More bang for your buck!
I think "people" understood perfectly.

There's no point in levelling the same pet to 25 twice, when there are a huge number of other pets to get to 25 anyway.
"More bang for your buck" is, in my opinion, ending up with two level 25 pets after an hour or so's work instead of just one.

It, quite clearly, is a waste of time.
Again, only if you want to level every pet to 25. There isn't a single pet battle I can't win with the 20 I have leveled to 25 right now, so why do I need a stable full of 25s for no purpose?

EDIT: You're also presuming an infinite stable of level 23 rares. Stone automatically creates one for you, so you don't have to farm or level another rare to 23.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » May 27th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Chrth wrote:
Jadax wrote:
Saasan wrote:Again, only if you want to level every pet to 25. There isn't a single pet battle I can't win with the 20 I have leveled to 25 right now, so why do I need a stable full of 25s for no purpose?

EDIT: You're also presuming an infinite stable of level 23 rares. Stone automatically creates one for you, so you don't have to farm or level another rare to 23.
No, not if you only want to level all your pets to 25. In what way is one level 25 better than two? Ever?

And I'm not presuming an "infinite stable". Does anyone spend stones on wild pets? A waste. I'm presuming that people farm for their wild rares, that's all. Even spending a little longer to level a 20 to 25 is better than levelling the same pet twice. It's stupid.

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 28th, 2013, 7:14 am

Jadax wrote: No, not if you only want to level all your pets to 25. In what way is one level 25 better than two? Ever?

And I'm not presuming an "infinite stable". Does anyone spend stones on wild pets? A waste. I'm presuming that people farm for their wild rares, that's all. Even spending a little longer to level a 20 to 25 is better than levelling the same pet twice. It's stupid.
This is why I asked for a factual answer in my OP, not for opinions on whether or not it should be done. I think it's "stupid" to have a dozen level 25s with the exact same abilities, others will disagree. I think it's "stupid" to farm only rares, others will disagree.

Since you've decided that your opinion is more important than answering the actual question, I'm no longer going to engage in this conversation with you.

Also, big thanks to Naplam for testing and confirming that double-dipping for the cheev still works.

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » May 28th, 2013, 7:27 am

I just want to add that my pet achievement stats count twice the pets that I levelled twice to 25. These were either rare spawn pets, specific breed pets, or vendor pets that were needed for certain strats. Rather than wait for a rare spawn or a stone to try out a strat, I levelled an uncommon, tried out the strat, and finished my dailies.

Who's to say that I wasted more time than the people who camped for hours/days/weeks waiting for a rare of specific breed?