Battle Pets Rarity stat (poor-legendary)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us
Battle Pets Rarity stat (poor-legendary)

Post by Nursie » May 10th, 2012, 8:25 pm

It seems like blizzard have implemented the new rarity labels for battle pets:

How does everyone feel about this? I think it's a bad idea if it effects combat (stats/abilities) as the pet store pets/tcg pets would be legendary for some people and poor for others despite spending the same amount of money on them.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Battle Pets Rarity stat (poor-legendary)

Post by Doobjanka » May 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Seems completely random right now. I'm hoping they will go up with levels.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Post by Guest » May 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Might end up being only for Wild Pets.

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 11th, 2012, 2:32 am

Wamo wrote:Might end up being only for Wild Pets.
hope so cause farming world/zone drop pets still has a lot of RNG and the rarity system just doesn't work with something like that. If it goes live with all pets having multiple rarities there'll be a lot of rage :P luckily we'll be able to tell blizz that the system is broken if it ends up like that before it goes live.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 11th, 2012, 6:14 am

I'm not so sure about this. Adding a second Core Hound Pup to my collection yielded an uncommon version of the pet.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » May 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Hoo boy, I hope they fix rarity for non-wild pets. Right now, as far as I can tell, every single pet I have is poor quality.
:?

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 11th, 2012, 5:20 pm

I hope all dropped/TCG/blizz store/CE/promotion pets have fixed rarities and only wild pets have rarity variation, it's the only way i see the system working without a lot of rage on the forums.

2 Lil K.T's should have no difference as people spend the same amount of money on them and to give one person a better variation is just unfair.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 11th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Evilgnomey wrote:I hope all dropped/TCG/blizz store/CE/promotion pets have fixed rarities and only wild pets have rarity variation, it's the only way i see the system working without a lot of rage on the forums.

2 Lil K.T's should have no difference as people spend the same amount of money on them and to give one person a better variation is just unfair.
IF the "breed"/quality of a pet does affect their stats or abilities in any way, I'd have to agree with you. Pets purchased for RL currency should probably stay fixed and static.

But additionally, perhaps ANY pet earned or acquired through means that are outside the player's control, and in situations where only ONE version of the pet can be obtained (a quest reward for example), should remain of fixed and static quality.

Since a player has control over how many wild pets they capture, and wild pets will (hopefully) be plentiful enough so players can collect more than just one, randomly assigned quality seems the most appropriate for these pets.

It goes back to how to balance this breed/quality system with RNG and "guarantees" so that it doesn't end up feeling too grindy or unfair.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 11th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Based on the fact that armor/weapons are graded by quality and effect how well they do in combat I'd guess we'd see the same here plus i doubt blizzard would add a stat like this if it was just for show and no one can even see it :P (at least not on the current beta as there's no way to link it or anything). assuming that's the case here are my thoughts on the fixed rarity values for each type of pet.

Dropped pets:
IMO all dropped pets should be based on their drop rate/current quality, green wing mccaw should be poor, hyacinth macaw should be epic, disgusting oozeling should be epic, deviate hatchling should be uncommon and gundrak hatchling should be rare.

1 in:
1-100 = poor
101-500 = uncommon
501-1000 = rare
1001-5000 = Epic
5001+ = legendary

Vendor pets:
Vendor pets should keep their current quality so the cats from elwynn forest are poor, argent tournament pets are rare etc.

Blizzard store pets:
This one is tricky to come up with a rarity value for, if it's poor-uncommon then people feel ripped off but if it's epic-legendary then it feels like a pay-to-win store. Perhaps make them rare in quality but then you'll never have a epic-legendary boss pet...

TCG pets:
same as above, hard to figure out how any fixed rarity would fit in.

Special promotion pets:
These should be legendary but then it's unfair to the people who couldn't obtain them, I'm also unsure how these pets would work with a fixed rarity value.

In conclusion I don't see how the rarity value system can work if it ends up effecting combat.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » May 21st, 2012, 3:36 pm

As of the latest patch, this is correct. Only wild battle pets have rarities now. Pets gained in any other way (i.e. drops, achievements, etc), no longer have a rarity at all.