Spirit of Competition 2012

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us
Spirit of Competition 2012

Post by Imthedci » April 23rd, 2012, 8:57 am

Has anyone heard anything about if there will be another Spirit of Competition event for the Olympics this year? Maybe having a bulldog with a monocle as the pet? (That would look so cool - and they do already have the bulldog/mastiff models to work from :D )

Ruzgofdi
MVP
Pet Score:4033
BattleTag®:TrojanRat#1907
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Re: Spirit of Competition 2012

Post by Ruzgofdi » April 23rd, 2012, 11:54 am

Blizz keeps recycling Murkimus for the arena tournaments. If the did a pet for the olympics, I figure they would just recycle the SoC.

But if they were going to do that, I would think it would have happened at least once before this year.

Donhorn
Pet Score:2133
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Donhorn » April 24th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I've actually been fairly upset about this one for quite a while. I had barely started playing back when they did the first and only Olympics event, as a result I had no clue what was going on and missed out on the pet. Blizz said that they'd do it every two years, so I waited and when it came time Blizz said "Nope, too busy, come back in two years." and now it looks like they are gust going to ignore that they ever did such an event. At least recycle it from before or something, but don't just skip it! The old pet would even be great going into MoP!

Suzi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3092
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Suzi » April 25th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Ruzgork wrote:Blizz keeps recycling Murkimus for the arena tournaments. If the did a pet for the olympics, I figure they would just recycle the SoC.

But if they were going to do that, I would think it would have happened at least once before this year.
The SoC was chosen because China were hosting the Olympics that year. This year England are so really if they're going to do another Olympic pet it should match the host country again (and be something like Imthedci suggested).

Then again I'm from England, so I'm perhaps a little biased in hoping for a new Olympic themed pet... ;)

Ruzgofdi
MVP
Pet Score:4033
BattleTag®:TrojanRat#1907
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Ruzgofdi » April 25th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Suzi wrote:
The SoC was chosen because China were hosting the Olympics that year. This year England are so really if they're going to do another Olympic pet it should match the host country again (and be something like Imthedci suggested).

Then again I'm from England, so I'm perhaps a little biased in hoping for a new Olympic themed pet... ;)
I know. I was just saying that given Blizzard's track record (no pet for the last olympics, no change of pet for the arena tournament, no longer giving out new pets every year on the anniversary of WoW), the most likely occurance of an olympic pet would probably be a recycle. It's the spirit of competiton, not the spirit of pandaria competition.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new spirit. Perhaps a lion that matches the alliance guild lvl25 mount? As I'm not from England, the only national connection my brain is making between there and the olympics would be a "mad man in a blue box" pet.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » April 25th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Right, who could forget this? XD

Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Donhorn
Pet Score:2133
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Donhorn » April 30th, 2012, 2:04 am

Ruzgork wrote:As I'm not from England, the only national connection my brain is making between there and the olympics would be a "mad man in a blue box" pet.
This... must... HAPPEN!

Or maybe a full on Face of Boe pet, that'd be fun. Oh! K-9! A Small robot dog!

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11399
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Emberdione » May 2nd, 2012, 12:54 pm

There was a rumor that the corgi model seen in the grinch's cave this year could be a hint at the UK Olympics pet. I feel like a new pet would be better than a repeat that was clearly matched to the country.

That being said I do hope that the extra SoC we have, we can sell, because I have a dear friend who *loves* mine and she really wants one, but she started playing after the event. I never use him because I don't want her to see him and get all bummed that she doesn't have him. I have SoC on 5 or 6 of my toons and would love love LOVE to be able to just hand her one. It would make her year.

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » May 2nd, 2012, 1:51 pm

Maybe once pets are tradeable I can finally get a Spirit of Competition. I think I was having computer trouble back when it was available. :(

Looby
Top Rater
Pet Score:4877
BattleTag®:Loobypie#2148
Realm:Lightning's Blade-eu

Post by Looby » May 12th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Argh how annoyed was I when I got this pet on my shaman and not my druid a few years ago! :P