Fastest way to level a pet

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us
Fastest way to level a pet

Post by Catalytic » April 23rd, 2013, 2:04 pm

Search and I aren't getting along, I'm sure this has been covered :oops:

I saw in another thread someone said they could level a pet 1-25 in a half-hour. It definitely takes me longer than that, so I was hoping folks could sharing their speedy leveling tips.

What are the fastest ways to level? (I do use the tamers, but there's only so many of them, and most of my pets have outleveled anything below the tamer outside Kara/WS.) I do have the Safari Hat, and make sure I'm wearing it when battling. (I don't rely on Outfitter, because I've discovered it takes it off before XP is calculated, sigh)

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Re: Fastest way to level a pet

Post by Livingdeath » April 23rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

Technically the fastest way is pet tamers. I can take a level 1 pet and after fighting 5 or 6 tamers, it will be around level 24. At that point I usually fight pandaria mobs to max level it.

Alternatively, you can fight level 20+ mobs, but that takes longer.

I always felt anyone who says you can level a pet to 25 in 30 minutes is fibbing. Maybe an hour, but 30 mins would be difficult just because of the flying from tamer to tamer.

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » April 23rd, 2013, 3:04 pm

There's only a few tamers I fight that I use a 20+ lowbie on. Usually I work on my lowest pets, because I figured out the Pandaria tamers give the max xp at pet level 10-11-12 (5225xp with Safari Hat on). Unfortunately, excluding my uncommon pets and any new pets, all my pets are level 13+ now.

For example, what I do is take an alt around to the tamers they can reach (Jade, Krasarang, Vale, Valley, Dread Wastes). For Valley, Krasarang, and Jade, I put my lowest level rare pet (above level 10) with a pair of 25s. Vale/DW I usually use a 20+ because the team I use tends to rely on RNG a bit much (Disgusting Oozeling, Onyxian Whelpling), so I sometimes need a hit or two to finish the battle. I take a 90 around to Fire/Flowing Spirits, Townlong, and Kun-Lai, and for all but Townlong I use my lowest leveling pet...on Townlong I use a 20+.

For the older tamers, I take an alt, the Uldum and Icecrown (I hate Major Payne with a passion!) I use a 20+, for Kara/WS I use level appropriate pets (so i get character xp, too). I do Hellfire/Shat/sometimes Nagrand, and always SMV, and all of those get a lowbie.

If I have any babies, rare or uncommon, I do the three EK tamers that give character xp (Elwynn/Redridge/Westfall) just for the character xp, and I get a little bit of pet xp for those. Very rarely I remember to do that with my horde alts for the Kalimdor 3, too.

Several days a week, I either park at ally alt at the Incursion and I battle the grubs with my 20+ to get them to 25, and do BGs in between to kill the monotony. When I want to work on my horde alts, I go to the Fable pet in NE Jade and fight the critters around him and kill an elite that pats near there every 8 minutes (he gives ~360k character xp, and that gives the critters time to respawn)

Anyway, just wondering if I'm missing something about how to level them faster.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » April 23rd, 2013, 3:09 pm

I bring a lvl 1 and 2 25s to aki the chosen. Lvl 11 after that fight.
Then Farmer Nishi, and pet is lvl 16.
Then 4 of the 5 non spirit tamers in dread wastes, krasarang, jade forest, kun lai and townlong steppes.

And Ive hit 25 on the pet in just 6 tamer battles in Pandaria, with just 1 nonspirit tamer left over.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » April 23rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

I have toons parked at a lot of the tamers, so no travel time. Just logging in and out.

But if you've done the tamers or have very few 25's... I just go to the hill Gorespine is on. 5-6 pets to battle there, all Silent Hedgehogs. All lvl 24-25. Get a chance at beast stones (which I've had very good luck with). Never have to travel. Maybe snag a rare you need.

I put in a DM Zeppelin for decoy, then lvl 1, then back to Zepp. Lvl 1 never gets hit. Back up 25 is Emerald proto whelp. At about lvl 8-10 you can make the lvling pet the front pet because it can take a hit. This method does take about 30 mins lvl 1-25. (But you can probably win with any 2 level 25's if you don't have these. Just your personal preference. I like these because I don't have to bandage often, and the hedgehogs occasionally have back up amber moths, so whelp is nice. Sorry typing this at work.)

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » April 24th, 2013, 1:03 pm

OK, tried Gwenolyn's tips. Used level 25 rare DM Zepplin and rare Emerald Proto-Whelp (P/B, I have't leveled my P/P yet). Started out with a level 1 uncommon Black Tabby Cat. At level 13, 43/990 xp, I switched the cat out for a level 13 rare Gold Beetle (S/S) with 0/990 xp. (I don't like to level uncommons beyond level 14, so I don't lose levels when I stone them.)

I battled approximately 19 level 24s, and 13 level 25s. I encountered 3 rares during the battles, a Rapana Whelk, a Silent Hedgehog, and an Emperor Crab.

It took exactly 60 minutes for the Gold Beetle to ding 25. Most battles lasted 12-14 rounds, a few with stubborn Whelks drug on to 17-20 rounds. So far, I have 237 level 25s, all rare. I have about 40 pets left to stone, only two are wild...King Snake and Irradiated Roach. (I may go hunt for a rare Roach one day, but I think I'm done with that darn King Snake.)

Anyway, looks like at least half an hour on average to get the rest of my pets to 25 (because they are already 14+) so it's going to be a long haul, darn it!

Rakrath
Pet Score:8562
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rakrath » April 26th, 2013, 10:16 am

Hi @ll,

in my opinion u should use a mix of wild and tamer leveling.

what i do:

first to get my lvl1  started:
(frankly i have already all the pets needed against tamers to make them 2man able)

team with two lvl1 and one 25 (moth agains watertypes, or kun lai against critters, or another spot u like in pandaria or cata or wherever, maybe with wish to collect specific battle stones)

fight:
lvl1 starts with attack,
if survive bring your 25
if dead swap in swap out your another lvl1, and then your 25
should beat the 3 wild pets

your lvl1 should be lvl6 now

repeat this till you have nice collection of lvl 6 pets, which usually survive any first wild attack.

from now on u can level them in any way u like.

But what i do:

There are 11 tamer in pandaria. Which all gives same xp, for a specific level.

There are so called XP Tamer Caps, which ur pets should have befor let fight them ahainst the tamer, when u know them u can optimize ur XP gain from the Tamer. Important: Those numbers will shift slightly when not using hat. Therefore for the numbers i used with the safari hat.

(m really sorry dont have the exact xp numbers here as m way home and writing on phone)

But those Caps are at this particular levels:

23 (need one tamer to 25)
21 (need two tamer to 25)
18(need 3)
14 (need 4)

additionaly u should be like 60% into the level with xp.

What does this mean:

I level all my pets first to lvl-14 and 700xp into that level. Then i need exactly 4 Tamers to reach 25.

Why? what mostly annoyed me when i reached lvl 24 with 1000xp left, and i had to either waste a tamer to get to max or make 2 or more wild battles to fill the remaining xp, because those give less exp at 24. its easier to get 1000xp with lvl17 as with lvl24.

Additionally i take care that i have a mix of those mentioned levels above. Lvl14 and lvl18 pets u can use for guarented kills, and 21/23 for "harder" tamers or to make the fight shorter or so, without to risk a loose and therefore time/fun ^^

This only counts for the 11 pandaria tamer. The cata, north. bc tamers habe less rewards (bags/xp).

Hope u got my points.

Another tip/hint: check your AH for rare pets, which u only have in common/green in addition with addon Auctionator and some tooltip addon u can easily buy rare pets for 1k-3k each, instead of buying the boe battlestone for 5k+

Rakrath

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » April 28th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Rakrath wrote:I level all my pets first to lvl-14 and 700xp into that level. Then i need exactly 4 Tamers to reach 25.
This info I didn't have (or didn't calculate). I use 4 tamers from level 15. ;)
Another tip/hint: check your AH for rare pets, which u only have in common/green in addition with addon Auctionator and some tooltip addon u can easily buy rare pets for 1k-3k each, instead of buying the boe battlestone for 5k+
This is probably good advice. When I get more then 5 of a type of stone, I will pick a random (cheapish) green on the AH and upgrade it and then repost it for about 750 to 1k higher. I don't know how many others do similar things.

Also, despite the prices listed in the AH, if you want/need stones, ask in trade to buy stones (or stone use) for what you find to be a reasonable price. I had decent luck with that for my last 10 or 12 stones on Lothar.

Dquill
Pet Score:1623
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Dquill » April 28th, 2013, 10:51 pm

I'm curious about this also. I've been able to level from 1-25 in just about an hour, but can't cut much time. I'm doing the tamer approach. My key thing I'm looking at is what is the "easiest" panda tamers. Nishi is a breeze, but i'd like 1 or 2 more that I can 2 shot. I could cut maybe 10 minutes if I got 3 panda bosses, but I don't think it's possible with my current set.

Rakrath

Post by Rakrath » April 30th, 2013, 7:38 am

H @ll,

those are easy without background damage: aki is easy with spirit crab and a flying type, jade forest ist easy with tarecgosa and a moth, nishi is known, kun lai is soloable with anubish idol(slow but reliable).(infos from here or wowhead comments)

Regarding caps, you have to be almost finished with level14 to 4tamer it to level 25.

Rakrath

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » April 30th, 2013, 9:31 am

Dquill wrote:I'm curious about this also. I've been able to level from 1-25 in just about an hour, but can't cut much time. I'm doing the tamer approach. My key thing I'm looking at is what is the "easiest" panda tamers. Nishi is a breeze, but i'd like 1 or 2 more that I can 2 shot. I could cut maybe 10 minutes if I got 3 panda bosses, but I don't think it's possible with my current set.
As far as the Pandaria tamers go, I guess I'd rank them like this from easiest to hardest:
1. Nishi
2. Aki
3. Earth Spirit
4. Water Spirit
5. Hyuna
6. Air Spirit
7. Yon
8. Fire Spirit
9. Zushi
10. Shu
11. Mo'ruk

I think you need to update your collection here on the site, cause it thinks you have 133 pets. On the armory you have a much better collection. (assuming I'm looking at the right profile :oops: )

However, your collection has one huge, glaring, omission. I highly recommend hunting down an Emerald Whelpling. It's super cute, and just that awesome. :D

You'll want focus initially on pets that can make the tamer battles as easy as possible, then worry about your favorites and the rest.

If you look at [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3871]my post[/url] in this forum about pet leveling, I list my strategies for all the tamers that can give bags. All of them are designed for getting XP for at least 1 pet, but many of them use the Emerald Whelpling. You can probably adapt what I do to use pets with similar move sets, or simply ignore it and use your own strategy. Whatever works for you.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 30th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I don't know, I think Yon is one of the easiest. I've been taking a different approach. Start with leveling pet, swap in idol (2/2/1) and have a Tonk on reserve. Idol breezes through it. Yeah hit chance is maybe 50%, but he hits hard, avoids most damage & 2 shots the last pet. I think he's easier than Aki.

Dquill
Pet Score:1623
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Dquill » May 5th, 2013, 11:31 pm

I'm definitely going to have to play around with your list. I went Emerald last night, you are right, wow. Against tamers it seems pretty superior. I'm a fan of XT, but Emerald is pretty great.

1. Nishi
2. Aki
3. Earth Spirit
4. Water Spirit
5. Hyuna
6. Air Spirit
7. Yon
8. Fire Spirit
9. Zushi
10. Shu
11. Mo'ruk

Aki seems difficult to me, but I may not have the right combination going. I can breeze through it with the right deck, but not so much 2 shotting. I've updated my collection, hadn't noticed it works from armory. I'll definitely play with the list, since I'd love getting from 20-25 on tamers skipping LK.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 6th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Is there a list somewhere of how much XP it takes to get a pet from one level to the next?

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » May 7th, 2013, 7:22 am

it was once possible to do the pandaria elementals over and over again, if you were on the first, normal quest. i have no clue whether this is still possible or not, but i spent a few hours levelling pets with the water elemental. i built my tamer army, but then stopped because it got boring.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » May 7th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I level a pet to 22 first using beasts in Kun'Lai Summit, then I use tamers to finish leveling them to 25. The two pets I use are Darkmoon Tonk and Darkmoon Cub should my tonk be killed due to bad RNG or whatever. The legendary goat Kalfi is a great place for leveling, just as the hedgehog in Dread Wastes is due to the 5-6 spawns of summit kids in the area.

Rakrath

Post by Rakrath » May 7th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Yalina wrote:Is there a list somewhere of how much XP it takes to get a pet from one level to the next?
Hi, i used this list:

wowprogress[dot]com/post/123_How_Strong_is_Your_Battle_Pet_Army%3F

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 7th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

(really didn't want to summon a pet of every level and write it down)

Greg098
Pet Score:9901
Realm:Dreadmaul-us

Post by Greg098 » May 8th, 2013, 8:50 am

Ive found the best way to level pets is by leveling alts at the same time!

I had many level 85 alts so I went over to 4 winds and started to battle the Marsh Fiddlers. A lot of their abilities don't kill level 1 pets so it makes it easy to level them fast. First win: level 1 to 6. Second win: 6 to 8. Each win also gives your character 120,000xp. I use a panther pet that heals to battle the pets here. Each win gives between 500-700xp for your pet.

Msargent
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Msargent » May 14th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Good information, thanks!

Mark