Need new tough challenges in pve pet battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Lilhottie
Pet Score:2252
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us
Need new tough challenges in pve pet battles

Post by Lilhottie » March 28th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I just thought i'd float a topic and see if there was other interest:
After collecting all of the wild pets, the thing that most appeals to me about pet battles is the strategy around 2v3-ing the bag trainers in order to level a lowbie.
It is reasonably hard to accomplish with several of the trainers, requiring some theory crafting, and investment in specific pets, types of pets, and/or breed of pet. (E.g. Major Payne, Thundering Spirit)
5.2 brought the "elite" pet battles which are a big step down from 2v3-ing the bag trainers.
I haven't seen anything in 5.3 yet that points at any challenges to match the 2v3-ing.

I am finding that I am losing interest in pet battles altogether.

My suggestion: some hard mode trainers that have a couple of super rare drops in their bags.

Other ideas?

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Re: Need new tough challenges in pve pet battles

Post by Stabya » March 28th, 2013, 3:03 pm

These tamer fights could be made more difficult just by having the tamer react to which pet you choose first, and choose one of existing pets that isnt weak against it.

We say these tamer battles are easy, and yes they are because we know who goes first, or would forfeit until they have a certain one go first.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 28th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Stabya wrote:These tamer fights could be made more difficult just by having the tamer react to which pet you choose first, and choose one of existing pets that isnt weak against it.
I don't think they should change existing Tamer battles. Players who are newer to PBs and may not have an extensive collection to work with yet might still struggle with the earlier Tamers.

Adding an additional tier of difficulty might be a better way to give veteran battlers something to work on, while keeping the lower tiered Tamers at a moderate difficulty for people just getting into battling.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » March 28th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I think PvE is fine as it is. If you want a challenge you should do PvP battles, which also seems to be what they're focusing on in 5.3

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 28th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I'd be cool with a heroic version of the tamers. But only get to fight normal or heroic. Heroic would have better chance at stone/porky/new pet, but would be too difficult to 2 man. For XP

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 28th, 2013, 7:00 pm

We have rare spawn mobs that drop good loot and we have rare
drop pets

I'd be interested in rare spawning 'roaming' tamers' so you wouldn't
Know their pet team or where to find them... It could be limited to 1
battle per day per account if the rewards were unique

I know blizzard doesn't manage or issue gameplay mechanics like that
but just sayin

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 28th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:I'd be interested in rare spawning 'roaming' tamers' so you wouldn't
Know their pet team or where to find them... It could be limited to 1
battle per day per account if the rewards were unique
Well, the beasts of fable idea was originally rare spawn pets that you had to seek out. They seem to have decided against that though, since I don't think the "rare spawn" aspect of them ever made it to the PTR.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » March 29th, 2013, 3:42 am

Anything rare that only the first person can get will inevitably lead to camping. We have enough of that already in Pandaria, really don't need anymore of it.

Pwn

Post by Pwn » April 17th, 2013, 12:39 pm

How about challenging yourself? After beating every tamer 2 vs 3, I then decided to try and solve every tamer 2 vs 3 using a level 1 lowbie as the third and winning the battle with the lowbie surviving and getting XP.

I doubt you have managed to do that.

For a good starter, the one I am stuck on currently, Flowing Pandaren Trainer.

Feel free to post a solution if you can pull it off.

Equeon
Pet Score:3101
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Equeon » April 17th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Pwn wrote:HFor a good starter, the one I am stuck on currently, Flowing Pandaren Trainer.

Feel free to post a solution if you can pull it off.
This is doubtful, but just off the top of my head, perhaps Anubisath Idol, Magical Crawdad, and Singing Sunflower? I have the same trouble with leveling >10 lvl pets for that trainer, because of the AoE attacks.
Keep Sandstorm up for the damage reduction, Singing Sunflower for double health and heals, and Magical Crawdad for a 50% health heal every two rounds?

Pwn

Post by Pwn » April 17th, 2013, 10:48 pm

That would be three pets. Goal is two pets and level 1 lowbie.

So far, the best I have managed was Ghostly Skull and Golden Civet. I used Skull to beat up Marly until skull dies, then cast Unholy Ascension, and the Civet is one of the few creatures that has a strong attack vs critter and vs Elemental. Zerged down both pets with him, but he barely lived and I ate three full aoes during the fight, total of 450 to the backrow, and it is heavy RNG, likely a 50% success rate, so not very reliable. But still is the best attempt so far.

The largest problem also is Marly deals intense damage and Whirlpools. So Crawdad swap healing gets shutdown by that.

My theory so far is to use a magic pet so marly attacks are weak and AOE his backrow dead, meaning he would never get to launch an aoe on you. But there is no magic pet that can handle it. Tried Celestial Dragon, who changes the weather with one of his aoe to prevent roots and use Crawdad to swap heal him over and over, but Marly slings out so much damage, that he wears down the dragon and Crawdad eventually. What I really need is a magic pet, who has an evasion move and decent AOE...but does not seem to be any. Dragons problem is he is a dragon, not a magic type or else he would have been perfect.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 18th, 2013, 12:25 am

I smell a challenge... Here I come again, you watery meathead.

Pwn

Post by Pwn » April 18th, 2013, 12:52 am

I have another fun challenge for you as well.

1) Pick any three pets you want, this is your "team". Once you have picked your team, you may not change or substitute those pets.
2) Kill all Beasts of Fable with your team.
3) You may change your three pets chosen powers between fights
4) You are not allowed to heal, ressurrect your pets ever with the heal CD or bandages or stable.
5) You are allowed to forfeit a fight at any time.
6) You may not fight any Beast again once you have killed it.
7) Once you start on a Beast, you must kill it before engaging a different Beast.
8) No fighting wild pets or tamers etc during this challenge.
9) You may engage the Beasts in any order.

Let me know if you beat this challenge and what your team was.