New Pet battle info [03/05/12]

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us
New Pet battle info [03/05/12]

Post by Nursie » May 3rd, 2012, 8:33 am

this stuff was released in the latest patch (yet to test it myself).

BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY1 - Poor
BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY2 - Common
BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY3 - Uncommon
BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY4 - Rare
BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY5 - Epic
BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY6 - Legendary
BATTLE_PET_SLOT - Battle Pet Slot %d
BATTLE_PET_UNLOCK_HELP_1 - To unlock the first battle pet slot,\ncomplete the following achievement:\n
BATTLE_PET_UNLOCK_HELP_2 - To unlock the second battle pet slot,\ncomplete the following achievement:\n
BATTLE_PET_UNLOCK_HELP_3 - To unlock the third battle pet slot,\ncomplete the following achievement:\n
CHAT_PET_BATTLE_COMBAT_LOG_GET - |Hchannel:PET_BATTLE_COMBAT_LOG|h[Pet Battle]|h:\32
PET_BATTLE_COMBAT_LOG - Pet Battle Combat

Battle achievement:
Take Em' All On! [New]: Win a pet battle aginst a pet of every family.

So it looks like we'll be breeding battle pets and be able to get poor to legendary quality battle pets based on how they are bred or something like that. Also it looks like achivements will be unlocking the 2nd and 3rd battle pet slots.

Mortis_darkskull

Re: New Pet battle info [03/05/12]

Post by Mortis_darkskull » May 3rd, 2012, 9:10 am

I don't think "breed" means we will get to breed them...

I think breed means the pet's "type" or it's ID... for instance, two qiraji guardlings are 2 pets of the same breed...

that makes sense since you can have more than one pet of the same type...

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 3rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

Mortis_darkskull wrote:I don't think "breed" means we will get to breed them...

I think breed means the pet's "type" or it's ID... for instance, two qiraji guardlings are 2 pets of the same breed...

that makes sense since you can have more than one pet of the same type...
hmm i doubt blizzard would bother tagging them with ID's and calling it breeds, if they did ID's they'd actually label it as "ID". The other meaning of a breed means the type of creature/animal it is inside that family, like dogs and cats have multiple breeds but that doesn't make sense as we already have the different names.

I'm going to say that we'll be breeding them somehow, that's the only logical explanation in my eyes. That being said we haven't heared on seen any info on it yet so i'm only basing my opinion on the label.

Monet
MVP
Pet Score:9617
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Monet » May 3rd, 2012, 12:58 pm

I would rather think these breed qualities refer to the random statistics wild pets are supposed to have. You might tame a Common- or Uncommon-quality pet and be fine with that, or you could keep trying until you find one with Epic or Legendary stats. I see no reason to believe we will actually force pets to mate (and I vehemently hope that's not the case).

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » May 3rd, 2012, 5:27 pm

Monet wrote:I would rather think these breed qualities refer to the random statistics wild pets are supposed to have. You might tame a Common- or Uncommon-quality pet and be fine with that, or you could keep trying until you find one with Epic or Legendary stats. I see no reason to believe we will actually force pets to mate (and I vehemently hope that's not the case).
forcing the qiraji guardlings to mate... that sounds just wrong on so many levels O, O

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 3rd, 2012, 6:10 pm

forcing is such a strong word... and who says they need to be forced into mating? and what about the survival of their species? It seems a lot of people are a little to negative around here >.>

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » May 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm

Evilgnomey wrote:forcing is such a strong word... and who says they need to be forced into mating? and what about the survival of their species? It seems a lot of people are a little to negative around here >.>
but the guardlings are all girls and judging by their names, they may not be mature enough for reprodution :shock:

I'd bet 5000g (on nordrassil-US, I won't transfer to get or pay bet money lol) that breeding pets won't be possible and a breed is just the pet's type (just like a dog's breed)...

EDIT: I said I would bet, not that I will bet... else if I lose there may appear like 10 different people wanting 5k from me lol

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » May 3rd, 2012, 8:53 pm

I'm pretty sure they're using breed as a noun, not a verb. Consider how many of the minpets are juveniles. whelplings, cubs, fawns, kittens, hatchlings, etc... these wouldn't be able to breed, and I certainly wouldn't want to try. O.o

I'm guessing it has to do with quality of stats as well, whether it's by species, or variations within species. I certainly hope it's not by species, because that would make certain pets far more desirable for battles, and some far less. Say Fishy was a poor quality pet (Magikarp, anyone?), and Lil' KT was epic... it would suck for anyone who really loved that goldfish and wanted to battle with it, and piss off people who thought Blizzard was making people pay to get the best pets. We've heard before that wild pets will have varying stats, so I'm almost certain that's what this refers to. Rather than having a separate individual value for each stat, like Pokemon, it seems each wild pet will have an overall quality, like our gear does. I rather like this idea, since it makes it easier to see which wild individuals are the best for battles, and could potentially make pet hunting very profitable for people who work to find high-quality fighters to put on the AH. I think I know how I'll be earning my gold this next expansion.

This makes me wonder how the various qualities of wild pets compare to pets acquired through other means, though. Does that mean each non-wild species will have a set quality, and we could still end up with Magikarp? Conversely, if all regular pets are the same quality, say, uncommon, that would put players who used those at a disadvantage to those using rarer wild pets.

I'm glad there are stat differences, so we have a way to work at getting better fighters, but I hope the differences aren't too drastic, so that people can still use the pets they really like rather than be stuck using only the "good" ones.

*catches tenth Poor quality Bucktooth Flapper in a row* "Dammit, not another Bidoof... :geek:

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 3rd, 2012, 9:58 pm

According to the Pet Journal the following achievements will unlock the second and third pet slots for a battle team:

Building a Team (second slot)
Pet Tamer (third slot)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Thaysula
Pet Score:6596
BattleTag®:Thaysula#1842
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Thaysula » May 4th, 2012, 5:38 am

I think i'll go for the, different rarities of the same pet.
When I was trying to catch a Darkshore Cub, when it switched to fight mode it changed into the checkerbox of not yet in, however the 2nd one I fought used the normal model. So I'm wondering if you have a chance to encounter different versions of the same pet.

If so collecting them all might be easyish but collecting the best of them all will take ages.

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 5th, 2012, 6:03 am

Advocate wrote:I think i'll go for the, different rarities of the same pet.
When I was trying to catch a Darkshore Cub, when it switched to fight mode it changed into the checkerbox of not yet in, however the 2nd one I fought used the normal model. So I'm wondering if you have a chance to encounter different versions of the same pet.

If so collecting them all might be easyish but collecting the best of them all will take ages.
how can you all explain the current pets then? blizzard store pets in different rarities isn't fair considering that people spend the same amount of money on them. Same goes for world drop pets, do you think it would be fair to drop different rarities? let's say player 1 get's lucky and gets a drop in the first 10 loots and gets an epic version and player 2 gets the same pet after 1000 attempts and only gets the common version.

It just isn't fair, If breeding isn't actual breeding and is just different rarities per pet I will be very upset.

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » May 5th, 2012, 7:39 am

Evilgnomey wrote:It just isn't fair, If breeding isn't actual breeding and is just different rarities per pet I will be very upset.
in my humble opinion you are building too much on a single word that could very well mean something else and you'll end up upset in the end... breeding our pets doesn't make any sense...

are you going to breed brooms?? robots?? baby deer?? baby gorlocs? baby wolvar??? baby dragons?? baby beholders?? baby elekk?? baby hawkstriders?? baby sporewalkers?? baby clefthooves?? baby dragonhawks?? baby treants?? baby bears?? baby "insert something else here"???

there are far too many mechanical or baby pets... actually I think the vast majority of pets right now are baby versions of larger creatures.. breeding on WoW would be just really really weird lol

I suggest you to stop creating so much expectative on the meaning of the word "breed" used in those strings... the more you assume you'll be able to breed them, the worst you'll feel in the (pretty likely) case that blizz doesn't allow pet breeding :)

EDIT:

Breed as a noun:

1. A group of organisms having common ancestors and certain distinguishable characteristics, especially a group within a species developed by artificial selection and maintained by controlled propagation.
2. A kind; a sort.

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 5th, 2012, 7:57 am

can you justify the quality arguement though based on my previous points?

*blizzard store pets - chance to get common-legendary versions of the same pet for the same price.
*World drops - chance to get common-legendary pets despite luck variation.
*vendor pets - same as above, they cost the same so why should some be better?
*Quest pets - same as others, multiple variations available and can only be obtained once.

neither seems fair really. for the blizz store pets it seems like there is a simple fix that they make them all epic quality but then they become better then most pets obtainable in-game so it becomes a pay-to-win thing...so that doesn't help.

WoW has a lot of magic, perhaps breeding is just merging 2 souls magically instead of physically breeding them?

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 5th, 2012, 8:48 am

please make it so blizzard! lol:

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » May 5th, 2012, 10:26 am

Evilgnomey wrote:can you justify the quality arguement though based on my previous points?

*blizzard store pets - chance to get common-legendary versions of the same pet for the same price.
*World drops - chance to get common-legendary pets despite luck variation.
*vendor pets - same as above, they cost the same so why should some be better?
*Quest pets - same as others, multiple variations available and can only be obtained once.

neither seems fair really. for the blizz store pets it seems like there is a simple fix that they make them all epic quality but then they become better then most pets obtainable in-game so it becomes a pay-to-win thing...so that doesn't help.

WoW has a lot of magic, perhaps breeding is just merging 2 souls magically instead of physically breeding them?
I believe the "quality" of the breed will depend on the item in case of item pets and on the rarity in case of wild pets.

a hyacint macaw will always be epic, and a common vendor pet will always be common... just like an item's power depends on it's ilvl, I believe breed quality will be an "e-peen flexing" element, just like challenge mode gear... if you have epic pets you'll have "bragging rights", but you'll be no stronger than someone with a well balanced team of lvl 25 vendor pets...

basically epic pets will be for "e-peen flexing" in org in a "look at me, notice how awesome I am, my pet is EPIC!!1!" fashion lol

at least this is how I believe this will be...

because back before the companion tab, having a hyacinth macaw was cool... you could link it on chats and everybody would be like "woooa he has an epic pet"... than some jelly guys would come like "you has no life, you farm pet for 10 years wololo"... this was cool for people who like to feel special lol

but when pets became "spells", this was sort of lost... while an epic pet is still epic, you lose the epic item when you learn the spell... the spell looks like any other spell in-game if you link it... I think this "breed quality" string will be there to revive the feel of "my pet is cooler than yours" we had back than...

but when it's about fighting, a strong street dog can very well beat a noble breed dog :3

Nursie

Post by Nursie » May 5th, 2012, 10:53 am

Mortis_darkskull wrote: I believe the "quality" of the breed will depend on the item in case of item pets and on the rarity in case of wild pets.

a hyacint macaw will always be epic, and a common vendor pet will always be common... just like an item's power depends on it's ilvl, I believe breed quality will be an "e-peen flexing" element, just like challenge mode gear... if you have epic pets you'll have "bragging rights", but you'll be no stronger than someone with a well balanced team of lvl 25 vendor pets...

basically epic pets will be for "e-peen flexing" in org in a "look at me, notice how awesome I am, my pet is EPIC!!1!" fashion lol

at least this is how I believe this will be...

because back before the companion tab, having a hyacinth macaw was cool... you could link it on chats and everybody would be like "woooa he has an epic pet"... than some jelly guys would come like "you has no life, you farm pet for 10 years wololo"... this was cool for people who like to feel special lol

but when pets became "spells", this was sort of lost... while an epic pet is still epic, you lose the epic item when you learn the spell... the spell looks like any other spell in-game if you link it... I think this "breed quality" string will be there to revive the feel of "my pet is cooler than yours" we had back than...

but when it's about fighting, a strong street dog can very well beat a noble breed dog :3
so there would be no difference at all between common and legendary except one shows up as orange and the other one shows up as white in chat when you link it? I doubt that too :/

we already know that stats will be different even for the same pets, for example one little fawn could be faster then another but have weaker attacks. I think the breed will effect it's combat effectiveness which takes me back to my previous points.

Thaysula

Post by Thaysula » May 6th, 2012, 4:04 am

Evilgnomey wrote:how can you all explain the current pets then? blizzard store pets in different rarities isn't fair considering that people spend the same amount of money on them. Same goes for world drop pets, do you think it would be fair to drop different rarities? let's say player 1 get's lucky and gets a drop in the first 10 loots and gets an epic version and player 2 gets the same pet after 1000 attempts and only gets the common version.

It just isn't fair, If breeding isn't actual breeding and is just different rarities per pet I will be very upset.
Breeds might be for Wild Pets only, if we used the much overused Pokemon comparison. Legendaries are often fixed, but catchable others can have shiny versions.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » May 6th, 2012, 5:54 am

Advocate wrote:
Evilgnomey wrote:how can you all explain the current pets then? blizzard store pets in different rarities isn't fair considering that people spend the same amount of money on them. Same goes for world drop pets, do you think it would be fair to drop different rarities? let's say player 1 get's lucky and gets a drop in the first 10 loots and gets an epic version and player 2 gets the same pet after 1000 attempts and only gets the common version.

Breeds might be for Wild Pets only, if we used the much overused Pokemon comparison. Legendaries are often fixed, but catchable others can have shiny versions.
But that's not true... Legendaries can be shiny just as well as normal Pokemon :P

Thaysula

Post by Thaysula » May 6th, 2012, 6:01 am

Only the new ones, go further back and you couldn't do anything with them. They can't breed or anything else.

Any WoW pet not caught wild might be the same. A fixed Breed level. It would give them a way to have the pet battlers get the pet but still have something the real collector's go after.

They don't even need to really have different stats, mabye just look different. (Colour, sparkles etc)