Interrupt abilities

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shandu
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Saurfang-eu
Interrupt abilities

Post by Shandu » April 6th, 2013, 7:14 am

So I got my Son of Animus yesterday, and it's the first pet I've actually used with an interrupt, however other than deep breath does this actually work on anyting?

I guess it wont work on multi-round abilities like burrow/fly etc as they will always miss, but what about things like hunting party/swarm? Wish? and is it worth taking over Extra plating?

Cheers.

EDIT: Does not interrupt Wish from the crawdad/lamp
EDIT2: Good way to get an extra attack in if you are faster than the enemy, it essentially stuns them through their first turn so you can go immediately again. (Cool way to win, last two pets each, you can get two big hits in before they get even one, plus the mech rez this gives you a nice cushion)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Interrupt abilities

Post by Luciandk » April 6th, 2013, 10:16 am

I think Interupting Jolt is a quite situational ability, not something you would bring in the standard pve loadout as it pretty much depends on the enemy pets using a multiround attack ability to be useful. Aka swarm and hunting party alikes.

It tends to be mostly flying and critter pets that have swarm/flock abilities and Mech pets is primarilly useful against beasts. Extra plating is far more useful in many more situations, and working well with your self heals to prolong your life.

However Interupting jolt would have more of an use in pvp petbattling, given the popularity of the zanadalari raptors there. Beasts with a powerful multiround attack. Animus zaps the stuffing out of them.

Shandu

Post by Shandu » April 6th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Luciandk wrote:I think Interupting Jolt is a quite situational ability, not something you would bring in the standard pve loadout as it pretty much depends on the enemy pets using a multiround attack ability to be useful. Aka swarm and hunting party alikes.

It tends to be mostly flying and critter pets that have swarm/flock abilities and Mech pets is primarilly useful against beasts. Extra plating is far more useful in many more situations, and working well with your self heals to prolong your life.

However Interupting jolt would have more of an use in pvp petbattling, given the popularity of the zanadalari raptors there. Beasts with a powerful multiround attack. Animus zaps the stuffing out of them.
Yeah i was thinking more about pvp. It interrupts hunting party/swarm but not pump or any of those, but it does still hit hard and gives you an extra round if you are quicker, so.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 6th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Still think interupting jolt is too situational to rely on as a staple ability, plus it does similar damage to Metal Fist. I find it hard to justify giving up the survival boost of Extra Plating, which also can be used to blunt an incomming swarm/hunting party. But which remains useful against many more abilities.

Shandu

Post by Shandu » April 6th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Luciandk wrote:Still think interupting jolt is too situational to rely on as a staple ability, plus it does similar damage to Metal Fist. I find it hard to justify giving up the survival boost of Extra Plating, which also can be used to blunt an incomming swarm/hunting party. But which remains useful against many more abilities.
I've found that it usually does a lot more damage than Metal Fist. I guess it depends what your team comp is, slow and tanky or bursty.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 7th, 2013, 7:31 am

How does it do much more damage? they got exactly same values.

Shandu

Post by Shandu » April 7th, 2013, 11:04 am

Luciandk wrote:How does it do much more damage? they got exactly same values.
I've noticed whenever I use it, it seems to do more damage than Metal Fist, not only when it's 'strong' either.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » April 8th, 2013, 1:59 pm

When an ability says it interrupts, the actual implementation is just to apply a stun for the remainder of the round. So if you're faster, then you stun the opponent before they can perform their action for the round. If you're slower, then you stun them after they perform their action and the stun wears off at the end of the round, which in most cases accomplishes nothing.

A handful of multi-round abilities are actually interrupted by being stunned, but it depends on the multi-round ability's implementation: most of them actually aren't interrupted. Like you pointed out, Wish isn't interrupted: that's because Wish applies a buff that performs the actual healing, and being stunned doesn't remove the buff.* The same goes for Emerald Dream/Hibernate: these are buffs that put the pet to sleep and perform healing, and they aren't removed by being stunned. Pump/Wind-Up apply buffs that can be consumed later, so they aren't affected. The only abilities that are really interruptable are the ones that lock you into 2+ rounds of the same ability: things like Stampede/Swarm/Hunting Party, and Rampage/Mana Surge. These cases are pretty few and far between.

*Of course, if you're faster, then you can stun them before they can apply the Wish buff (or Emerald Dream, or Burrow/Lift-Off, or whatever). They can choose the same ability again the next turn, since the interrupt doesn't put the ability on cooldown any more. Effectively you've cost them a turn while doing a bit of damage--this makes interrupts perform a somewhat different function than in the regular game, but they're still pretty advantageous.